• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Blues, Suncorp Stadium, 2011R13

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

Masterful use of the bench again by Link. That's what won them the match IMO. Reds really flagging until the fresh legs came on.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
It was very good to see QC (Quade Cooper) making decent tackles.
Now, if he could just work on his kicks in play.

Can't say I'm convinced. Good that he's getting involved, but he's still going high and very often just slows the runner down so that the next tackler can put them to ground. I'm very worried about this as a wallabies fan, come world cup time it could be a major achilles heel!!

As for the game overall, great to watch. Blues deserved those two bonus points, but I dearly wish the reds had managed to hold them out. Those two points may be crucial in home semi or even home final calculations and the reds will want both of those if they are a chance for the title this year.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Kaplan confuses me. I find myself that me thinking of doing things to him that you should never do to another man. I don't mean anything sexual either...

Is it just me or was he poor once again? I could be just putting on the anger goggles every-time he is reffing and see all his bad mistakes.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He did miss a few knock ons and so forth. I expect that the NZ press will be frothing at the mouth any moment now.

G

GC

He wasn't too bad but the scrum rulings were strange. No matter what happened he'd immediately penalize Slipper.

D

daz

I thought he was good. Consistent in the ruck rulings and only minimal mistakes.

Yep. I flippantly suggested pre-game that he might actually impact the game more than the players. Very happy to be proven wrong and I agree that over-all, he did a pretty decent job.

I'm not going to say much about this game, except to say that both teams deserve applause for putting on a hell of a show. Every rugby fan living in the north of the planet just started weeping at the type of quality we get week in week out, that they can only dream about.

The Reds really are the real deal. Enjoy the break and the view from the top, boys.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Not too upset with the loss strangely.....Kaino, Braid, Woodcock and Toeava would have had big impacts on the game....Toeava obviously won't be back but if the other 3 do get back in time for the last few games then the Blues are in with a great shot to take it all this year....

Is that 'sore' or 'sour' loser. The 'our absent players' excuse, no. 236 in the bag.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Is that 'sore' or 'sour' loser. The 'our absent players' excuse, no. 236 in the bag.

Meh.....as I said, not as upset as I thought I would be.....

no excuses cos the boys didn't do enough to win, I'm merely speculating that if that was how close we got without some key players, we are in a good position to go all the way.....

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Great game, very enjoyable to watch.

Reds pack was sensational again. If Higgers doesn't get the 6 jersey ahead of Rocky I will be fuming.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
First thoughts - well done to the Reds. Toughed out a very hard fought match which they definitely would have folded in during recent seasons. Stepped up to another level tonight to get the job done.
I was concerned they'd gone out too hard like George Foreman against Ali but Link used the bench well and Hanson certainly delivered the boost we needed from the bench. Samo was excellent both around the park with done great runs and also some try-saving defence.

What most concerns me is that in clutch situations in games, our scrum repeatedly concedes penalties or gets pushed off our own ball. That to me is a bigger problem than QC (Quade Cooper)'s defense. You sit their in the stands almost expecting a bad outcome. Though why we would collapse our own scrum 5m out from our line was a bit of a mystery to me but I sit at other end.

Other point of note was in the stands. Was there a fight? Was it Blues fans misbehaving or Reds? I was focussing on the match too closely to bother looking over.

I'm prepared to call it now and say the Reds will make the semis for first time since 2001, and will win the Australian conference and play a home semi. After next week they'll be a minimum 9 points ahead of the Tahs with 4 games to play and based on tonight's form they'll win all of them except Crusaders where our front row problems could really bite us in the arse.

Anyway, it is happy times for Reds fans now! The satisfied feeling from a job well done tonight is around a million times better than what we were copping 2 years ago, which if memory serves me correctly was a 50 point flogging at home from the Canes....

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Meh.....as I said, not as upset as I thought I would be.....

no excuses cos the boys didn't do enough to win, I'm merely speculating that if that was how close we got without some key players, we are in a good position to go all the way.....

Sorry BR, it frankly just gives a number of us the shits the way you Kiwi fans have a subtly unpleasant habit of coming into these fora, critiquing our players and teams at great length, then when we convincingly beat you, there is zero graciousness and 'well played opposition', rather a bunch of 'if onlys' and inferences that it wasn't really a loss, it was an aberrant event caused by highly unusual factors that will surely not be repeated.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
First thoughts - well done to the Reds. Toughed out a very hard fought match which they definitely would have folded in during recent seasons. Stepped up to another level tonight to get the job done.
I was concerned they'd gone out too hard like George Foreman against Ali but Link used the bench well and Hanson certainly delivered the boost we needed from the bench. Samo was excellent both around the park with done great runs and also some try-saving defence.

What most concerns me is that in clutch situations in games, our scrum repeatedly concedes penalties or gets pushed off our own ball. That to me is a bigger problem than QC (Quade Cooper)'s defense. You sit their in the stands almost expecting a bad outcome. Though why we would collapse our own scrum 5m out from our line was a bit of a mystery to me but I sit at other end.

Other point of note was in the stands. Was there a fight? Was it Blues fans misbehaving or Reds? I was focussing on the match too closely to bother looking over.

I'm prepared to call it now and say the Reds will make the semis for first time since 2001, and will win the Australian conference and play a home semi. After next week they'll be a minimum 9 points ahead of the Tahs with 4 games to play and based on tonight's form they'll win all of them except Crusaders where our front row problems could really bite us in the arse.

Anyway, it is happy times for Reds fans now! The satisfied feeling from a job well done tonight is around a million times better than what we were copping 2 years ago, which if memory serves me correctly was a 50 point flogging at home from the Canes....

wow. You're really prepared to call that now? Ballsy stuff. I mean, we're on top of the entire competition and have the bye next week.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry BR, it frankly just gives a number of us the shits the way you Kiwi fans have a subtly unpleasant habit of coming into these fora, critiquing our players and teams at great length, then when we convincingly beat you, there is zero graciousness and 'well played opposition', rather a bunch of 'if onlys' and inferences that it wasn't really a loss, it was an aberrant event caused by highly unusual factors that will surely not be repeated.

Don't paint us all with the same brush RedsHappy

A

allitsab

What a great game to watch that was. Real pulsating, edge of the seat stuff. Could have gone either way and to their credit the Reds held on in a few tricky spots; even with the blues opening them up seemingly at will.

I didn't see too much of the incident with the blues fans in the stands, but it did look like one or two were getting carted out the door, NFI what happened though.

I wonder if it's too soon to start booking flights up for the finals weekends just yet...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

But isn't that how it is??....lol...just kidding....

I was absolutely fuming during that first half until the boys scored those quick 2 tries before half-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.