• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Blues, Suncorp Stadium, 2011R13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Bullrush has contributed well and without wingeing has given the Reds credit. I think you're seeing something that's not there. He adds good NZ input to the forum.

One of the most impressive things tonight was the way Shipperly and Tapuai came in and played really well, better than some of the regulars. They were not overawed and ran with skill and poise. Compare that to Kingston who came in, performed well and got dropped for Anesi!!! I think being prepared to give youngsters a go is something Link has developed since he left the Tahs, full credit to him.

Aww shucks....thanks Hawko :)

As a hard-core Blues fan, there were some frustrating things in the game last night - Brett in particular had me pulling my hair out and then Ali Williams quick tap and isolating himself.....some decision-making that just wasn't sharp. A couple of breaks down the wing where Ranger should have been given the ball to go one-on-one with QC (Quade Cooper)....I could see the ball carriers wanting to draw the defense before giving the pass but in considering who was marking who, I would have given it early and let Ranger do his usual.

Rokocoko simply isn't the player he used to be. I've thought it for a couple of years now and each game this year I keep hoping that he'll somehow get back to it but it isn't happening. Losing Stanley early was also a bit of a set-back I think because he is a good option taker and makes good decisions. He runs the ball hard and makes some big hits....kinda like an A Faainga actually.

Still, to lose with 2 bonus points and have guys like Kaino sitting on the side-line...again, I'm pretty up-beat about the business end of the season....

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Youtube Highlights are up -

[video=youtube;M5QUJlCsAy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QUJlCsAy0[/video]

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Good game to watch for the neutral, not exactly a convincing win as some have said but also indicated that the reds are a far better team with ball in hand and that with pressure against.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
A couple of breaks down the wing where Ranger should have been given the ball to go one-on-one with QC (Quade Cooper)....I could see the ball carriers wanting to draw the defense before giving the pass but in considering who was marking who, I would have given it early and let Ranger do his usual.

I saw that too, could have been as game changing as the hanson charge down.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good game to watch for the neutral, not exactly a convincing win as some have said but also indicated that the reds are a far better team with ball in hand and that with pressure against.

Not sure how you can say it wasn't a convincing win. I think any time sides in the top 5 or 6 play each other things are going to be very tight and there will be fluctuations between who is on top at certain stages of the game, this is especially true of the top 2 sides. if the Reds had come out and dominated the entire game it wouldn't say much about the level of competition the Blues have had so far. The side that keeps it together longer should win as happened here.

Sorry for singling out your comment, haven't read entire thread.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I actually think the scoreline was closer than the game. Reds defense was generally a lot better than the blues particularly in the centre. Blues stepped it up after thirty but you'd have to say the reds went to sleep for a while and without those three minutes of play the blues would not of been in the game at all. A lot are saying they deserved the bonus point but when I think back I believe a 13 point margin would have been a fair reflection. Reds dominated for 30 minutes while the blues dominated probably only 10 with the remainder being pretty even. But the reds defense went soft for that period before halftime so they only have themselves to blame for the closeness of the result.

Looking at the head to head match ups I dont think one blues back had it over there opposite number while some reds such as ioane Cooper and genia had clear margins.

In the forwards it was even with the reds front row dominating in the loose but struggling in the scrum. The reds loose forwards had it over their counter parts while the locks were pretty even.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was surprised that the Reds were allowed to get the ball clear of the ruck so quickly, while they are able to do that, they are very hard to beat.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I was surprised that the Reds were allowed to get the ball clear of the ruck so quickly, while they are able to do that, they are very hard to beat.

Agree. Reds backline with front foot ball are extremely dangerous. The Saders in a fortnight will be a good litmus test. They are experts at slowing the ball down. Results of that game will have massive implications for how the Wallabies and All Blacks go later this year.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
It was strange that a reserve hooker came on to play LHP and dusted up our incumbent Wallaby tighthead. Please explain......?

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A very entertaining game to watch as a neutral. Some of my thoughts.

When it comes to the breakdown, the underrated Reds pack is as good as any in the competition. Sure, people will argue that the Blues were missing some key forwards, but as a group the Reds team simply showed more energy and commitment at the tackle area. Their ability to generate quick ruck ball really troubled the Blues’ defense, especially in the first half. Opposing coaches will be watching last night’s game closely and formulating ways to stifle the Reds’ ability to effect quick recycling of ball. It’s not as easy as simply getting more numbers to the breakdown because;

a) the Reds have shown they can match numbers at the breakdown, and
b) the Reds are very skilled at changing the point of attack, which makes it hard to get sufficient numbers to the tackle area. They rarely repeatedly target the same channel.

History shows that only teams with high quality halves can win Super Rugby titles. And the Reds have arguably the best 9 and 10 combination in SANZAR. Not only do Cooper and Genia steer the team around the field brilliantly and consistently make the right decisions in attack, but they are a constant threat to the defensive line in their own right. They have the ability to make their teammates look better than perhaps they actually are, and that shows their playmaking quality.

From under 8s level coaches stress the importance of minimising errors. And last night the Blues sunk to a 24 point deficient largely on the back of an unsustainably high error rate. And a large part of this was as a result of very good, swarming Reds defence. Their first up tackling needed to be good and it was. In contrast to the Blues, despite the Reds flair and attacking brand of rugby, the home team managed to keep errors to a minimum.

Is there a no.8 in better form in Australia than Radike Samo? I know he isn’t a fashionable player, but his work at the breakdown, ability to link with his teammates and defensive output remind me a lot of Kieran Read. Who I rate as the best no.8 in world rugby. Neither player is a traditional bosh-merchant type 8th man, but their allround skillset contribute so much to their respective teams. Like Read, Samo also provides another tall option at lineout time. For the Wallabies sake, Robbie Deans could do much worse than reward Samo with a test recall, despite the fact that he is turning 35 in July.

Lastly, Ewen McKenzie and his team should be very happy with their win. And Reds fans should be too, their team has announced themselves to the comp as being a genuine title contender. But one obvious weakness which should worry everyone in QLD is their scrum. You cannot afford to give away multiple scrum penalties in close games. Whether deserved or not, the Reds now have a reputation for being a weak scrummaging team. Opposing teams will target this and referees will give opposing scrums the benefit of any doubt. All it takes is for the Reds to lose a front rower or two to the bin for repeated scrum penalties and a semi final or final could get away from them.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Agree. Reds backline with front foot ball are extremely dangerous. The Saders in a fortnight will be a good litmus test. They are experts at slowing the ball down. Results of that game will have massive implications for how the Wallabies and All Blacks go later this year.

Hopefully the ref pings them and allows free flowing rugby.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
You are joking, right? They regularly infringe at the breakdown. There is a reason that many were rejoicing when McCaw was finally carded a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.