• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
DB

"Hopefully Hamish gets some decent (any) minutes this week.."

We don't know the full story.
Maybe BT wants Lance to get up to full match fitness level, or that Stewart is carrying a minor niggle.
I think that Stewart will get some play time, for the same first reason (needs to keep match fit/aware)

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Defence. And reliability I guess.

Fair enough - I just look for something more than reliable (whilst a great quality) in a fly half. I want someone who can create something....

I guess I should be happy Lance managed to stay on the field for 80 minutes..... ;)

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
He pleaded guilty at the first possible instance.

I think it was just a different process given he was cited rather than having an automatic hearing following a red card.

When they first met on Sunday I don't think Tui was given a deal he could plead guilty to. It was held over for a judiciary hearing on Tuesday night.

Ok thanks - the way it was reported in the media (I think it was Tucker) suggested that for Higgers they elected to take the early plea but for Tui they elected to go to the full hearing. Sounds like for a post-match citing like Tui got it's a compulsory judiciary.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
)
Ok, I get that Hamish over Quade can be sold as a bold new direction for the team but on what planet is Lance an improvement on Quade???

Hopefully Hamish gets some decent (any) minutes this week..

Lance made 2 massive line breaks last week (yep in one game)

Think that was more than Quade made last year ( or close to it).

Plus defence, fearlessness.

It actually looks like we have an engaged 10 this year and one for the future (Stewart)
learning the ropes. Hopefully he gets 10 - 20 minutes

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The planets of defense and of not getting a yellow card each game

I get why Thorn has leant towards a player like Lance over Quade, but i don't think it's the right way to go. It just seems such a negative way in which to approach games. The fly half generally is supposed to be the heart beat of the teams attacking prowess, not the heart beat of the defense. Although you need a bit of both to be successful. I believe at 10 it should be attack > defense than defense > attack

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think they're picking Lance because he is a better defender. I think it is because he suits a game plan that doesn't revolve around a 10 who takes a lot of risks and takes a lot of the game on their shoulders.

The reality with Cooper has always been that if he's your 10 your entire game has to be very much structured around the way he plays. If he isn't in the team then doing the same thing with the replacement doesn't work.

That was unbelievably worthwhile when he was at the top of his game and won a lot of rugby games due to his brilliance. Lots of people think those days are few and far between now.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I get why Thorn has leant towards a player like Lance over Quade, but i don't think it's the right way to go. It just seems such a negative way in which to approach games. The fly half generally is supposed to be the heart beat of the teams attacking prowess, not the heart beat of the defense. Although you need a bit of both to be successful. I believe at 10 it should be attack > defense than defense > attack

On this I think the Quade - Hunt switch in attack/defence was actually really very effective. Quade is a very serviceable fullback and Hunt would make a serviceable 10 so you don't lose anything in either attack or defence while they are between and gain a whole lot in each.

I do follow the logic behind the move towards Stewart/Lance but if Lance is still our primary flyhalf by seasons end this whole season will have largely been wasted.

Cooper for Stewart -- understandable
Cooper for Lance -- dumb

then he is only 20 behind Cooper

Lance will only miss half the season due to injury.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On this I think the Quade - Hunt switch in attack/defence was actually really very effective. Quade is a very serviceable fullback and Hunt would make a serviceable 10 so you don't lose anything in either attack or defence while they are between and gain a whole lot in each.

I do follow the logic behind the move towards Stewart/Lance but if Lance is still our primary flyhalf by seasons end this whole season will have largely been wasted.

Cooper for Lance -- dumb

I don’t think it worked that way. Right or wrong Brad acted on QC (Quade Cooper). Then we needed to bolster experience and FH. Bringing in Jono was logical, sensible and the right thing to do.

It’s the QC (Quade Cooper) bit I have an issue with. We’ll do OK with Jono and Stewart.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Quade was given his marching orders well before Lance was on the books right?

Thinks it's more that Thorn won't risk playing QC (Quade Cooper), and Jono was the only super rugby standard (at the moment) 10 available. So that's who he's playing

Edit - same time as dru

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Cooper for Lance -- dumb

Cooper will just miss the whole season

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Sure we didn't really get a chance to unlock out wide (partially through DP and Kerevi glaring communication issues) but I have no idea how people said Lance had a rubbish game. I thought he was a bit of a one man army. Making huge breaks and such a dependable and vicious tackler. When Lucas is coming off the bench (or starting as Tuttle screams journeyman ie - Prior, with nil outstanding characteristics), hopefully they can spread themselves out and lead the defence. Toua has given us great speed but I think the crux of our problem is giving leeway to Kerevi who continues to be a crash baller, or decoy at best. Just keep that guy doing what he does best and stop involving him in intricate back plays where he is actually required to make judgements. Either give him the ball to crash or cut him out as a decoy - but for the love of god don't give him any tactical or leadership responsibilities.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Two. And someone is paying for it.

dru you definitely right about 1 season but I think he will have to play overseas (somewhere) in the second year otherwise his relevance may seriously hurt his income (if he waits until the third year).

Costly exercise however but I say Lance did more last game than I would have expected Quade to do - line breaks and front on tackles.

Whichever way you look at it the decision has been made and I reckon Thorn would rather die than change his mind.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
dru you definitely right about 1 season but I think he will have to play overseas (somewhere) in the second year otherwise his relevance may seriously hurt his income (if he waits until the third year).

Costly exercise however but I say Lance did more last game than I would have expected Quade to do - line breaks and front on tackles.

Whichever way you look at it the decision has been made and I reckon Thorn would rather die than change his mind.

Mate, you (and Brad) and I are just never going agree on QC (Quade Cooper). So no Jono did nothing like QC (Quade Cooper). But he did do Jono. Need Jono and Duncan to start building. And work Stewart through.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
What's happened to Reece Hewat? He was being groomed as an 8, but hasn't come into any conversations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.