• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
It’s about timing as much as talent. Developing the youth to add to the mix and holding the squad together is key. You might lose a few but Retension is the key to a championship squad. We always seem to be talking about the next young gun rather than excellence right now. The attitude of constant development is an excuse in my mind that hides from a winning culture. It should be about will the youth fit the winning team not build the team around youth. Personally I think the QRU went off the rails when they didn’t follow thru from the McKensie era with a director of rugby role.

new recruit_ brisbane

Bill Watson (15)
Can we stop talking up Stewart as "world class defender" & "next wallaby 10".... the Kid (cause he is a kid) hasn't started a super rugby game. Yes he is super talented but lets not load these massive expectations up on him . For me Lance is our best option at present with Stewart progressively getting game time off bench/starting throughout the season.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jesus, some people lack basic comprehension skills. He said it's not the ninety and there are now rules in place to protect players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fair call Sully. Shit comment by me.

I've said my bit on the appointment of Thorn now, nothings going to change. Now's the time to see how he leads the team and hopefully get some improvement out of the players.

On a positive I was pretty happy with the front row (gave me some good points in fantasy).

Jamie

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am not a Reds fan how ever I watched the Rebels Reds match with interest as I was curious about what the Reds would show. To be perfectly honest I thought the Reds were going quite well at times all things considering. The Rebels did not impress me at all, good for them I guess as I think they really needed that win.

Yes it will be interesting to see where Thorn takes them from here, I am tipping the Reds to beat the Brumbies this weekend

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I am not a Reds fan how ever I watched the Rebels Reds match with interest as I was curious about what the Reds would show. To be perfectly honest I thought the Reds were going quite well at times all things considering. The Rebels did not impress me at all, good for them I guess as I think they really needed that win.

Yes it will be interesting to see where Thorn takes them from here, I am tipping the Reds to beat the Brumbies this weekend
I'd say you'd be pretty much on your own there. But I'm looking forward to the forward battle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of the features of QLD Country last year is they bounced back well from a loss / poor performance.

They got beaten by the Vikings in Round 2 then came back and destroyed Brisbane City for their first ever win against them.

They were average in the 2nd half v NSW Country and just snuck home, and then next week blitzed the Rams.

They dropped their last game to the Perth Spirit before bouncing back and thrashing the Drua in the first semi final.

It doesn't mean it will happen this weekend, but I reckon Thorn will have the boys playing at home after humiliation, pretty damn focused.

I hope.

fincoherent

Frank Row (1)
About the Stiles and Brisbane City vs Thorn and QLD Country who's better debate, is there anything to be said for the standard of the NRC increasing over those years? For example, the Vikings vs Country final was a bloody fantastic game of rugby, and I'm not sure there were many games that matched it in terms of execution in earlier years.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nope Sully, there's at least one more like him. Reds by 6

I'm tipping the Reds to bet the Brumbies, partly because I know everyone else will be tipping the Brumbies.

I think our forwards will have the scrum ascendancy, lineouts will be fairly split, and in the lose I think we have the edge.

Our backs even with Lance running the show has so much more punch, as good as the Brumbies are in defence if you can't score points you can't win games.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
One of the features of QLD Country last year is they bounced back well from a loss / poor performance.

They got beaten by the Vikings in Round 2 then came back and destroyed Brisbane City for their first ever win against them.

They were average in the 2nd half v NSW Country and just snuck home, and then next week blitzed the Rams.

They dropped their last game to the Perth Spirit before bouncing back and thrashing the Drua in the first semi final.

It doesn't mean it will happen this weekend, but I reckon Thorn will have the boys playing at home after humiliation, pretty damn focused.

I hope.

boys been the operative word

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
About the Stiles and Brisbane City vs Thorn and QLD Country who's better debate, is there anything to be said for the standard of the NRC increasing over those years? For example, the Vikings vs Country final was a bloody fantastic game of rugby, and I'm not sure there were many games that matched it in terms of execution in earlier years.
I have a felling I will be proven wrong by facts but I think more Super Rugby standard players are in the NRC now that previously.

I know that Reg (from memory) has stated that the Country and City winning teams had similar amount of experience in their winning teams but my recollection of the winning City teams is that on paper they had a far superior team compared to other teams and that playing strength was diluted except for QLD Rugby who appeared to be smart and make two teams with a decent spread of talent.

I think both coaches are about equal in standard

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have a felling I will be proven wrong by facts but I think more Super Rugby standard players are in the NRC now that previously.

I know that Reg (from memory) has stated that the Country and City winning teams had similar amount of experience in their winning teams but my recollection of the winning City teams is that on paper they had a far superior team compared to other teams and that playing strength was diluted except for QLD Rugby who appeared to be smart and make two teams with a decent spread of talent.

I think both coaches are about equal in standard

The Rising were almost the Rebels. They were far and away the best team on paper the first year City won the title.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yep. It’s like the old hungover Sunday declaration of “never drinking again” and then come Tuesday your already calling your mates lining up the next pub trip.

Just don't get your mates to go to the Reds game, they'll probably never go with you again even when they do turn it around and start actually winning...

Status
Not open for further replies.