• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Higgerz already served 80% of a full game suspended on the bench stewing after that red card. He deserves a 1 game suspension similar to SBW in the lions series

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Judicial committee - Michael Heron QC (Quade Cooper), David Croft and Det Wet Barry.

Bit of Reds representation/old team mate of Higgers on the judiciary

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Well Higgerz got 3 weeks.

Don’t think the crime fit the punishment. hope there is grounds for an appeal.
He pleaded guilty to a dangerous tackle (and not a shoulder charge) and it was found to be a mid-range which is 6 weeks and received half that for good behavior and the plea.

There won't be an appeal

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Judicial committee - Michael Heron QC (Quade Cooper), David Croft and Det Wet Barry.

Bit of Reds representation/old team mate of Higgers on the judiciary

actually it was:

Foul Play Review Committee: Nigel Hampton QC (Quade Cooper) (Chairman), John Langford and Stephen Hardy

Croft and De Wet were part of the panel that deemed Lukhan had a case to answer.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Whether the Ref and Judiciary got the right or wrong decision, if you don't want to play in the lottery you should never buy a ticket.

Seeing that SBW got 4 weeks so it was a consistent decision as Higgers essentially was suspended for 4 games. It's pretty disappointing in a bloke who was appointed our Captain not even 3 weeks ago and it's not the Ref or Judiciary being soft, it's solely the players' fault in this instance.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not sure what you expected to happen. We've been crap for years and it sounds like you thought there would be some sort of miracle change in the way we play.
If you actually looked at what happened in that game you'd see things have started to change. You would have seen heart and a willingness to give everything for the guy beside them.
Brad Thorn won't be kicked out of the job anytime soon. He will get at least two years in the top job. Too many people have backed him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I can't believe all i have read - everyone putting the boot into Thorn and the team after one game. One game played a man down, who is the captain (and lineout caller?). Yes it was against the rebels. But Higgers has played enough footy to not do dumb shit. Can't blame BT for that one.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can't believe all i have read - everyone putting the boot into Thorn and the team after one game. One game played a man down, who is the captain (and lineout caller?). Yes it was against the rebels. But Higgers has played enough footy to not do dumb shit. Can't blame BT for that one.

that is all true, but when we had the ball and had the opportunity to put some passes together we did not look great, I did not think the defence looked that great either.

you could have 14 players red carded and if the one player remaining misses a one on one tackle you dont blame the guys who got sent off you still have to execute your skills.

Did CFS stand outside the sideline trying to receive a catch because Higgers had been sent off? This is not the first time with CFS either.

Having 15 on the park would have made a difference but not to the extent that we would win.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Having 15 on the park would have made a difference but not to the extent that we would win.

I think you underestimate how much extra work the players have to do playing a man down. Add in Tui's time on the bench and guys are having to bust their arses even more.

So, they're going to be more fatigued which will have an impact on their ability to execute tackles, passing and their ability to get back in position for defence. Additionally, the pigs have to somehow do without a ball runner and another person to help secure rucks on top of carrying someone else come scrum time.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon the Higgers suspension should have been 1 week.

Thorn I would think would be filthy at both Scotty H and Tui.

Reds season just a little further behind the 8 ball than it was a week ago.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

But Thorn made this guy captain. It's not like Higgers doesn't have a history of this. I understand that Thorn want the players to be physical, it's one thing I'm looking forward to during his tenure as coach. He needs to understand that the refs are focusing on anything around the head. This should have been the message to the players, hit them hard but make sure the head is not touched.

Then for Tui to drive Genia into the ground after Higgers was off, WTF. This one was the worse of the two in my eyes. I could see him getting 6 weeks for it.

Then his comments after show a lack of understanding. He compared it to Rugby League in the mid 90's. How is that relevant to anything? The world has changed since the 90's and player welfare is an important part of the game.

The next few weeks will be very telling. Thorn is supposed to be making cultural change, as mentioned by Barker below, and I am interested to see how he deals with these guys.

“Brad has a proven track record of success as both a player and a coach. He is without peer when it comes to the culture and professionalism required to be successful at the highest level of our sport and he is enthusiastic about moving the Reds forward and creating a winning culture at Ballymore once again."

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...Reds-coaching-staff-ahead-of-2018-season.aspx

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Then his comments after show a lack of understanding. He compared it to Rugby League in the mid 90's. How is that relevant to anything? The world has changed since the 90's and player welfare is an important part of the game.
Jesus, some people lack basic comprehension skills. He said it's not the ninety and there are now rules in place to protect players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
As an aside - if someone like Higgers, who has been suspended multiple times over his career can still get a way with the "good record" mitigation, who wouldn't get away with it?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So what's the story with Karmichael now? Back to training or still stood down indefinitely?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^ Again, we have the talent. We dont have the coaching.

I tend to disagree.

We develop the talent but we don't seem to keep the right ones e.g. Poecock, McMahon, Mason, etc

The old conundrum of coach v player. Coach always lose.

Here's a thought now if we go back through the coaches (excl. McKenzie) - Mooney, Graham, Stiles & now we are including Thorn - are we saying that all of them were simply dud coaches? I think to be fair and reasonable no.(some maybe!!)

Then responsibility rests with the players - more correctly recruitment & retention!!

Who are the individuals at the Reds (currently) who have had most to do with this over the last 5/6 years?

You got it Sam Cordingley & Paul Carozza.

Why are they protected species?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If you believe that Carozza doesn't have a say on who comes through from school boys to the Reds you are kidding yourself - nice bloke apparently & great wallaby/red in his day but the results don't lie and he needs to take some responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.