• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
@Strewthobber what effect does it have that Blue 7 was involved in the 'tackle' and looked like he may have contributed to the lift in the tackle?

So what lineup changes from the current training squad do you think we can/should make for next week? I emphasise current training squad as I don't think Thorn is going to suddenly bring Quade in.

I was surprised that Sorovi wasn't in the 23, I thought he looked good in the trials. Replace McDermott with Sorovi?
Stewart to 10? Lance to the bench?
Who comes in at 8, assuming Higgs is going to be sidelined?

For the forwards I expect it to be something like: (assuming no Higgers, and no Tui)

Slipper, BPA, Tupou, Rodda, (plz not) Douglass, Wright, Korczyk, Timu.

Front row had a pretty decent game, nothing amazing, noting too concerning.
Rodda was a week or undercooked but was fine. There is a part of me that wants to see Hockings / Blyth to play just to get those minutes into them; we're going to have a tough time against the Brumbies so why not test those two at Super Rugby level.
Korczyk showed why/how he forced his way into the side last year when we had Higgers and Smith, the kid never stops working he's the forrest gump of Super Rugby! Timu was largely anonymous perhaps he was just putting in work that I didn't see but, I didn't see him, I'm not sure who else can really cover 8. Wright appears to be the next in line but ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is another option.

For the backs, I think there are a few good players just playing out of position, I think the optimal backline setup would be something like:
Tuttle, Stewart, Toua, Paia'aua, Kerevei, CFS, Lance.

Tuttle was completely outdone by Genia, but there is a reason Genia is one of the best 9's in World Rugby and Tuttle is a 21 year old with less Super Rugby caps than years.
Maybe Daugunu in for CFS as CFS is more valuable as a bench player.
Toua had moments of brilliance, but I feel like showed he's not really a fullback, he can't consistently kick under pressure and too often rushes the kick when he's under even a little pressure, but he's fuck me fast and knows how to punch through millimeter holes.
Our centers were our real strength Paia'aua and Kerevi were very good. I couldn't help but feel there was a real lack of combination with Lance.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't know how Hamish Stewart doesn't get on at all during that game. Lance was truly awful. Toua was alright, but showed his not a winger not a fullback. Nabuli was decent but not overly good.

I do like that Thron for the most part didn't bring in his substitutions early to compensate for the Higgers card. Although I think given what Lance showed us Stewart should have been brought in at halftime; if nothing else it's a waste to have Stewart sitting on the bench.

Positives to consider
  • Nothing really can be said when your capitan is given a Red Card 10 minutes in (other than we were fucking retarded)
  • The Scum even a man down as fucking impressive, likely will be the best scrum in Australia!
  • Lineout was very good.
  • Korczyk showed he can get over the ball and has the most motor in Super Rugby.
  • Paia'aua was very good in both attack and defence, has gotta be in the Wallabies Squad.
  • Samu really stepped up.
Some not so good things
  • Timu was fairly anonymous maybe we'll see Wright start next week?
  • Rodda was a week or two underdone.
  • Douglass should be dropped from the 23.
  • Toua can't kick consistently, probably should be moved to the wing.
  • Quade > Stewart > Lance, if we aren't going to start Quade, we have got to be starting Stewart. Also what the fuck did Stewart do to not find his way onto the field at some point. IMO Lance should have been pulled at half time, or at least 60.
  • BPA was average (not bad).
It was maybe indicated after the game that Quade and/or Hunt might end up playing for another team (maybe another Super team). Not sure but definitely getting the vibe Cheika is working on something.

It's almost as if you wrote this critique before the game started. Lance was not truly awful, there was bugger all kicking from Toua, no mention of the good game by CFS, scrum started well but we're under pressure a few times, and Douglas wasn't so shite not to be in the 23. Sure there a couple of simple errors from players, including Paiau, but the guys were trying to perform in difficult circumstances.

dru

David Wilson (68)
It's almost as if you wrote this critique before the game started. Lance was not truly awful, there was bugger all kicking from Toua, no mention of the good game by CFS, scrum started well but we're under pressure a few times, and Douglas wasn't so shite not to be in the 23. Sure there a couple of simple errors from players, including Paiau, but the guys were trying to perform in difficult circumstances.

Line out calling was utter rubbish and Korczyk could not have broadcast the intentions more plainly if he tried. He has an engine but he needs plenty of improvement if he is to make 7 his jersey. Too early to be pumping him up. Does Douglas call? I'd have him starting if he does.

Thought our tight 5 was serviceable - let's have another look in a game with 15 on the park. Scrum was serviceable - again we will know more with 8 on 8.

Thought that the halves will do. As is. Let time help build the combination.

Centres are mixed - DP was our best player last night, imo. Kerevi has holes in his skillsets and they are holes that were always going to be highlighted with 15 on 13.

Hard to comment on the back three are going in a game like that.

Probably shouldn't read too much into the game plan as that was a set of very specific circumstances. To speculate though, I am concerned of a dull possession game intermingled with a small number of ludicrous hail Mary plays. I hope I'm wrong, but game strategy may not prove to be a strength.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds press conferences will be hard to watch this year. Much like the game I had to turn this off early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds press conferences will be hard to watch this year. Much like the game I had to turn this off early

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um yeah um uh, yeah....Way to many um’s And uh’s. um see why you turned it off early.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Odd body language from Brad and Higgers. Plenty of smirking. No doubt the emotions are pretty confusing but not sure it was a good look.

At least Brad recognised strength in a scrum down in numbers and that the line out was "messy". The language continues to be about focusing on a platform. For me that should simply be a pre-season start and once in the season proper they should be talking about how they will use the platform. It smacks of not knowing where they want to take the game.

It does seem to be a tight-knit group that has courage.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You guys can see the negatives in that press conference and some of you will only ever see that. But I saw someone focused on saying what he intended to say and taking his time to make sure what he thought was coming out of his mouth.
I saw a guy enjoying his job and focused on where he wants the team to go and not where they are.
He smiled? So what! It's a fucking game not peace in the middle east. I don't want my coach and captain to walk around with there own personal rain clouds. That's not how you inspire people to follow you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dru

David Wilson (68)
There is a difference between a smile and a smirk Sully. As I said though, emotions would be tricky on that one and he and Higgers firmly fronted an uncomfortable media booking with courage. And smirks.

I grant you that Brad is focused. And brings solid character and great team "zusammenkeit" or team spirit. He just looks green and I don't think his focus reflects a holistic rugby.

The Reds are circling the wagons and treating the outside world as an enemy. I can get that too. But what I dont like as a fan is that the fans seem treated as part of that outside world.

T

TOCC

It’s hard to see where the Reds can go from here, they have Tui and Higgers facing the SANZAAR Judiciary wheel of fortune, could easily lose them from anywhere up to 3 weeks.

Does the young team have the mental fortitude to regather after such a massive loss, I don’t think there are any individual selections would make any real difference to how the team played. And I don’t think the Rebels played all that great, against a kiwi team the score line would have been significantly greater IMO

T

TOCC

Maybe Toua on the wing, Nabuli doesn’t offer a whole lot, or doesn’t know how to properly object himself. Reinstate the QLD Country 9-12.. maybe even play CFS at 13

9. Tuttle
10. Stewart
11. Toua
12. Paia’aua
13. Kerevi
14. CFS
15. Lance

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I saw a coach with a lot of affection for his players in that press conference. The smile was nerves and I am sure a little embarrassment. Behind closed doors he'll say what he thinks he needs to say, we'll come back hard against the ponies. If we can keep the same team on the park the second half of the season will be much better than the first.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I see a guy completely out of his depth. We have a team with no tactical nous and no one who can provide it in the coaching staff. I have no doubt that Thorn is great with the players and they would do anything for him but coaching is not something for everyone. I saw no sign of a gameplan last night. I will not accept that it is early in the season and things will improve, our team was totally unprepared to start a season. We should have had at least two trials against NZ opposition so the players knew what the standard is for Super Rugby.

It is going to be a long hard season and heads should role at Reds HQ. Cordingley should be shown the door, he has been a failure at the Rebels and the Reds. Barker will be tested in the coming months as he will have to be the media presence that Thorn just wont be.

All I can say is bring on the Super W.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe Toua on the wing, Nabuli doesn’t offer a whole lot, or doesn’t know how to properly object himself. Reinstate the QLD Country 9-12.. maybe even play CFS at 13

9. Tuttle
10. Stewart
11. Toua
12. Paia’aua
13. Kerevi
14. CFS
15. Lance

Yeah, I think this is probably our best backline. I think the biggest issue with Lance at 10 was he lacked those combinations with 9/12/13. Although if he plays like that every week I'd rather Quade at 15.
Toua was good, but I think his skill set is very much suited to a winger, he can cover 15 if there's an injury or something.

Regarding all the comments about Thorn, I've been fairly critical of his selections but that's mostly because this team has so many guys who are right around the same level. However I've seen nothing to indicate Thorn isn't up to it. Those who are criticising Thorn's tactical knowledge I have two things to say, 1) he's not the type of guy who is going to talk about the tactical side of the game in a press conference; and 2) let's assume he doesn't have that tactical knowledge (and I'm not saying he doesn't), you would expect McGahan (who is a very experienced and very good coach; frankly too good to be an assistant) to be more there for the tactical aspects of the game and Thorn there for personnel management, player motivation and so on.
Finally, I would point out you don't and shouldn't plan to be down to 14 men for the duration of the game. It's difficult to expect players who have come into training camp late and/or injured (Toua and Lance particularly) to be completely across every detail of the game plan; we can criticise the selection of these players but we can't criticise any lack of tactical game plan; yet.
Give him a few weeks guys.

Also this Brumbies game is making me feel a whole lot better about last night!

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Presser was fine, million times better than a cheika one. More worried about other things.

Although Brad buzzword bingo would be easy “it’s a tough one”

dru

David Wilson (68)
I see a guy completely out of his depth. We have a team with no tactical nous and no one who can provide it in the coaching staff. I have no doubt that Thorn is great with the players and they would do anything for him but coaching is not something for everyone. I saw no sign of a gameplan last night. I will not accept that it is early in the season and things will improve, our team was totally unprepared to start a season. We should have had at least two trials against NZ opposition so the players knew what the standard is for Super Rugby.

It is going to be a long hard season and heads should role at Reds HQ. Cordingley should be shown the door, he has been a failure at the Rebels and the Reds. Barker will be tested in the coming months as he will have to be the media presence that Thorn just wont be.

All I can say is bring on the Super W.

Jets, it's good to know someone is seeing things that I am. Completely concur.

Status
Not open for further replies.