• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
The forwards went alright, especially given they had to play with a man down for most of the match but still held their own against the Rebels. Scrums were very good with the full eight and still went pretty well most of the time with only seven. Lineouts were average and certainly suffered from loss of Higgers who would have been key in a lot of the lineout structures. In the backs, Lance was OK but would have liked to have seen him moved to 15 at the half and given Stewart a run at 10 for 40 mins. Reds were beaten consistently out wide, a combination of poor defence reads by outside backs and being one man down in the defensive structure. DP and Kerevi both showed promise and CFS has a surprisingly good run. McDermott was at best poor - not clear why he got the nod in front of Sorovi but that will hopefully be rectified next week. I expect we will see the same starting forward pack next week - pending what happens with Higgers Red Card, but some changes in the backs and the back reserves.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ngl I skipped the match and watched ROTJ.

Looks like I made the correct choice.

And once again the decision to give Quade the chop looks utterly stupid

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry but McDermott did not play exceptionally.. made one good step and pass. But his service and work around the base was ordinary - admittedly behind a beaten and tiring pack. CFS, Tua (in patches), Lance and Korczyk can all hold their heads up.
Long Long season ahead.....

I dealt with the backs below.

Korczyk really very impressive.
And agree 100% on McDermott, we've got such a young side and so many players chomping at the bit for game time, Sorovi has got to be coming in for McDermott.

I thought BPA was impressive - maybe not in the loose but with solid defence and good involvement.

JP Smith has to be pushing Slipper for the 1 jersey. Basically brings Slipper's game with dominant breakdown presence.

Also liking what CFS brought. We know he's always had the talent but previously he's lacked the will, he looked solid this game.

Toua kicked like we thought he would, but the rest of his game was very good. If he plays like that he'll be a serviceable FB. The fact Stewart didn't get on though suggests to me that Thorn may have him designs on starting him at 15.

I did think JP Smith was good, I think Slipper gets a little more loyalty. Smith is only on a one year deal and Slipper is a former captain... But our second front row is probably the best in Australia, maybe much of Super Rugby. Although I'd point out Ready would be to BPA what JP Smith is to Slipper.

I do agree CFS was good, maybe get him training with the forwards next week so we have someone who can pack down when we give away our Red card next week. I don't know why Stewart didn't play but Lance can't keep playing 10 he just can't manage the game he would kick when he should have held the ball and he'd run it when he should have kicked.

I think we should have a backline of Tuttle, Quade Stewart, Toua, Paia'aua, Kerevi, CFS and Lance.

Forwards are a little harder, assuming no Higgers maybe

Slipper, BPA, Topuo, Tui, Rodda, Korczyk, Wright, maybe ASY (Angus Scott-Young) but likely Timu at 8.

Then Douglas and McDermott out of the 23.

dru

David Wilson (68)
The forwards went alright, especially given they had to play with a man down for most of the match but still held their own against the Rebels. Scrums were very good with the full eight and still went pretty well most of the time with only seven. Lineouts were average and certainly suffered from loss of Higgers who would have been key in a lot of the lineout structures. In the backs, Lance was OK but would have liked to have seen him moved to 15 at the half and given Stewart a run at 10 for 40 mins. Reds were beaten consistently out wide, a combination of poor defence reads by outside backs and being one man down in the defensive structure. DP and Kerevi both showed promise and CFS has a surprisingly good run. McDermott was at best poor - not clear why he got the nod in front of Sorovi but that will hopefully be rectified next week. I expect we will see the same starting forward pack next week - pending what happens with Higgers Red Card, but some changes in the backs and the back reserves.

If my suspicions of the new scrum rules are close, no we were not good. This battle was won by Stiles in Melbourne. The man extra I suspect is less important than the technical ability of the props.

Yes some line outs were simply hopeless. We need to work on the calling in the first instance, and then stop projecting what we are doing. It IS different with Higgers on the field - though that is only loosely tested.

Jono was fantastic working in a team where he has had 2s training. Still, I'd like to see some time from Stewart.

I didn't think Kerevi showed anything. DP is the backline lead.

We did not show any experience at 9. period.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I expect we will see the same starting forward pack next week - pending what happens with Higgers Red Card, but some changes in the backs and the back reserves.
Think we're going to have to find a replacement for Higgers and Tui next week, and probably the week after too

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I looked at the scrums pretty closely from the tight head loss to the Rebels on. Tupou struggled. He was well beaten and age is no real excuse as he was up against props just as young and even less experienced. Questions have been raised about his set piece since he was first signed and it is disappointing to see that they remain valid. I know it takes year of training to build serviceable props but I would have expected better given his time in pro teams.

Kerevi is a one (or two) trick pony and defence is not one of those tricks. Really he is no better than Quade.

Higginbum - just stupid. Tui just as stupid and should have been red all day. I would expect the Ref and TMO will be marked fairly severely on that point as the directive from the IRB is absolutely clear. Given the Reds had the worst discipline in the competition last year one would have reasonably thought the incoming coach would make a special point of addressing this. First mark against Thorn, with judgement on the Cooper decision to be held in abeyance.

Reactions: dru

dru

David Wilson (68)
First mark against Thorn, with judgement on the Cooper decision to be held in abeyance.

It's a controversial issue among Reds. For me? Not a chance, no abeyance, just a major fuck up.

Everything else, Gnostic, I completely agree.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If my suspicions of the new scrum rules are close, no we were not good. This battle was won by Stiles in Melbourne. The man extra I suspect is less important than the technical ability of the props.

Yes some line outs were simply hopeless. We need to work on the calling in the first instance, and then stop projecting what we are doing. It IS different with Higgers on the field - though that is only loosely tested.

Jono was fantastic working in a team where he has had 2s training. Still, I'd like to see some time from Stewart.

I didn't think Kerevi showed anything. DP is the backline lead.

We did not show any experience at 9. period.
I thought Spicoli struggled.
Spicoli-and-her-stoner-buds-fast-times-at-ridgemont-high-31503133-500-250.png

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
The decision regarding Tui was in accordance with the directives to Referees and Game Management Guidance. The referee articulated this well as he reviewed the footage, in consultation with the TMO. The assessment by both of them was that the legs were lifted above horizontal (this automatically means Yellow or higher) and then the next consideration was the first point of contact with the ground (essentially shoulder or lower is Yellow and head first is Red). This is where different views might occur dependent on your particular slant on the Tui situation as it appeared fairly line ball, however the referee looked at this part of the decision process very closely (even called for another replay) and determined that first contact with the ground was the shoulder and the arm, before the head made contact with the ground - and this was agreed by the TMO. Their decision was therefore fully in accordance with the directives to referees.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Its only one match and with the sent off.

On a brighter note the Force sorry Rebels looked good .

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The decision regarding Tui was in accordance with the directives to Referees and Game Management Guidance. The referee articulated this well as he reviewed the footage, in consultation with the TMO. The assessment by both of them was that the legs were lifted above horizontal (this automatically means Yellow or higher) and then the next consideration was the first point of contact with the ground (essentially shoulder or lower is Yellow and head first is Red). This is where different views might occur dependent on your particular slant on the Tui situation as it appeared fairly line ball, however the referee looked at this part of the decision process very closely (even called for another replay) and determined that first contact with the ground was the shoulder and the arm, before the head made contact with the ground - and this was agreed by the TMO. Their decision was therefore fully in accordance with the directives to referees.

Better go and have another read of the directive Serge, the fact that the player outs down an arm to prevent contact being on the head or shoulder is meaningless and is directly stated in the directive. For me this was a clear red and the Higgers one also a clear red under that directive.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
You (and the ref) must be looking at a different GMG to me

• Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a
minimum. If the tackled player is lifted and lands on their shoulder or head area it should result in a red
card.

Foul play regulations have this
Lifting a Player from the ground
and either dropping or driving
that Player’s head and/or upper
body into the ground whilst the
Player’s feet are off the ground

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I started following the Sixers a little time ago, so at least I am enjoying something this year!

The fact that I've been a Philadelphia sports fan my entire life and the year the Sixers/Eagles are having/have had is the only thing that's going to get me through Super Rugby this year, lol.

I'm sure QC (Quade Cooper) is pretty chuffed about the Eagles winning the Super Bowl too ;)

Ugly result.

Reactions: Ash

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
So what lineup changes from the current training squad do you think we can/should make for next week? I emphasise current training squad as I don't think Thorn is going to suddenly bring Quade in.

I was surprised that Sorovi wasn't in the 23, I thought he looked good in the trials. Replace McDermott with Sorovi?
Stewart to 10? Lance to the bench?
Who comes in at 8, assuming Higgs is going to be sidelined?

Status
Not open for further replies.