• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You'll notice that all the tipsters are backing the Reds to come last out of the Australian chapter.
I like that.
All the other sides are blowing hot air on just how good they're going to be, but you don't see anything from the Reds camp.
That suggests to me that the side is totally focusing on getting the job done.
Also, they don't have the energy sapping expectations shared by the Brumbies, Rebels, and Waratahs.
Don't know if we can win the Aussi chapter, but I'll bet you Ballymore to a Gilbert football that we won't come last.

With the Sunwolves in the conference there is little chance of the spoon.

spud

Peter Burge (5)
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...o-play-Melbourne-Rebels-in-season-opener.aspx

The Reds take on the Melbourne Rebels at AAMI Park in Melbourne on Friday 23 February at 7:45pm (local). The match will be broadcast live on Fox Sports.

St.George Queensland Reds team to play Melbourne Rebels
7:45pm (local), Friday 23 February, AAMI Park – Melbourne
1. James Slipper – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank (Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Lukhan Tui – Souths
6. Caleb Timu – Souths
7. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
8. Scott Higginbotham (C) - Wests
9. James Tuttle – GPS
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Eto Nabuli – GPS
12. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
13. Samu Kerevi - Souths
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Aidan Toua – Easts

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. JP Smith – GPS (potential Queensland debut)
18. Sef Fa’agase – University of Queensland
19. Kane Douglas – Norths
20. Liam Wright – Easts (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
21. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
22. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)

Quite a strong squad, very pleased to see that Izack Rodda is fit to play this game. I feel like Andrew Ready was hard done by especially considering his tens performances. Will be good to see how both Liam Wright, Tate McDermott and Filipo Daugunu go. Also feel like Hamish Stewart deserves a crack at starting fly-half with Jono Lance at fullback.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Good team. Love that locking combo. I have no idea how many minutes Rodda will have in him but Douglas will hopefully provide decent impact coming off the bench compared to his starts.

I think I would've preferred Stewart to start, if only because that's who we've (presumably) had training at 10 almost all preseason and Lance understandably didn't have much of a combination with Tuttle and Paia-aua in the Fiji trial.

Our big weakness is our back three. They worry me. Just doesn't seem real balanced. I don't rate Eto and CFS defensively on the wing either.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I feel like Andrew Ready was hard done by especially considering his tens performances. Will be good to see how both Liam Wight, Tate McDermott and Filipo Daugunu go. Also feel like Hamish Stewart deserves a crack at starting fly-half with Jono Lance at fullback.

Can't agree more, I'm really disappointed in this side it's a very safe side.

Was hoping to see Stewart in the starting XV. Somewhere be it 15 or 10. Honestly, Toua hasn't shown me enough from that Fiji game to justify a start, but maybe you start him on the wing because Perese is out. Similarly I would have liked to have seen Daugunu in the side over Nabuli but I would have understood if Toua as to play on the wing over Daugunu.

I think Mafi is a really good bench Hooker he's a safe pair of hands, he's really the Joe Root of hookers. He'll never make a century, but will almost always get you 25. Ready is really unlucky to not have found his way into the 23 unless there is some kind of off field issue (that we clearly aren't hearing about if there is).

I would have preferred to see Hockings or Blyth in at 19 over Douglas, but I can't fault the selection of Douglas he's a safe pick, but if he doesn't show some form I think he could find his way out of the 23.

Also surprised to see McDermott in the 23 over Sorovi but I do think it's been very close between the two of them.

Our big weakness is our back three. They worry me. Just doesn't seem real balanced. I don't rate Eto and CFS defensively on the wing either.

Yeah, I agree, although I am more concerned over the lack of kicking Eto and Toua legitimately can't kick and shouldn't ever be allowed to kick! Not sure about CFS but I haven't ever seen him kick well. This is concerning given we have both Lance, Stewart, Daugunu in the Squad who can all kick (in the case of Lance and Stewart very well).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Y
Not sure if he was in the 7 jersey although I think he was, maybe it was 6 but he was in the XV a number of times last year!
Yeah played almost all of his games at 6 last year IIRC

Looked it up - 614 minutes played, 1 turnover made. Hopefully he's worked on that!

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Y
Yeah played almost all of his games at 6 last year IIRC

Looked it up - 614 minutes played, 1 turnover made. Hopefully he's worked on that!

Yeah, in the trial games he looked very much improved over the ball, he's no Pocock, but has looked much improved (and he can't be worse than Ned Flanders).
I do think Korczyk is another one of those safe picks. I don't think you could justify picking ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Wright but they would have been more courageous selections (if not dumb).

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
nothing about Quade is a safe pick and I don't reckon he has had any say on the Hunt affair
I just think if the choice is to effectively swap Quade Cooper for Jono Lance we are in for a very long and very shit season. I'm also really worried about selecting Toua after having a quite poor showing against Fiji, I did feel that either Lance or Stewart would be a better selection at 15. Like who in the back 3 can reliably kick... CFS can't, Nabuli can't, and Aiden has always been very erratic with his kicking.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
1. James Slipper – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank (Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Lukhan Tui – Souths
6. Caleb Timu – Souths
7. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
8. Scott Higginbotham (C) - Wests
9. James Tuttle – GPS
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Eto Nabuli – GPS
12. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
13. Samu Kerevi - Souths
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Aidan Toua – Easts

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. JP Smith – GPS (potential Queensland debut)
18. Sef Fa’agase – University of Queensland
19. Kane Douglas – Norths
20. Liam Wright – Easts (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
21. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
22. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)

I am shocked Ready did not get a spot, I thought he was primed to get back to the big time and it raises an interesting question about the NRC teams being owned by the Reds, he was captain of the Brisbane City team. Is he such a good captain that his skills do not matter? Seems odd that you can captain a "feeder" team to the Reds and not get a spot in the team.

I am not convinced with the Korczyk at 7 move, I am still probably stuck in the past but would prefer a 7 who can pilfer....maybe we should have Ready at 7, he steals more ball. Seriously though I would have Wright starting at 7.

I would rather see Stewart in the starting 15, dont really mind if it is at 10 or 15, I see Lance and Stewart as equals at 10 and 15 but see more of an upside to the future with Stewart at 10. He needs opportunities to get his hands on the ball.

Glad to see Nabuli in the team, he is a try scorer and this is what we need to be doing.

CFS at 14 concerns me, I would not even have him in my 23, too many chances and not enough proof of his ability. If NRC form is what gets him a spot then apply it across the squad.

All in all it is a reasonable team that is not seen as a threat to the other teams.

The bottom line is I really dont care who is on the field on Friday or who is coaching, I bleed red (ha ha) and will support my team no matter what.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I am shocked Ready did not get a spot, I thought he was primed to get back to the big time and it raises an interesting question about the NRC teams being owned by the Reds, he was captain of the Brisbane City team. Is he such a good captain that his skills do not matter? Seems odd that you can captain a "feeder" team to the Reds and not get a spot in the team.

Yeah this is indeed odd. I would have gone with Ready in the starting XV but I do see the logic behind starting BPA, and I totally get Mafi being the designated 16 (I expect him to be the 16 for most the season) he's safe as houses.

I am not convinced with the Korczyk at 7 move, I am still probably stuck in the past but would prefer a 7 who can pilfer..maybe we should have Ready at 7, he steals more ball. Seriously though I would have Wright starting at 7.

In the trials Korczyk showed a lot more on ball work, and I think balances that out with his motor around the park, I think the only player who I am sure worked harder on the field than Korczyk last year was George Smith.
I actually think Timu is the biggest question mark at this point, he killed it in NRC and was impressive when he came in for Super last year, but in the tirl games hasn't really shown all that much.

I would rather see Stewart in the starting 15, don't really mind if it is at 10 or 15, I see Lance and Stewart as equals at 10 and 15 but see more of an upside to the future with Stewart at 10. He needs opportunities to get his hands on the ball.

Yeah, I 100% agree on this one, I ideally wanted Stewart at 10 and Cooper at 15 (as Quades defence doesn't matter much when he's at 15), this way Stewart gets to see and be guided to improve the weakest part of his game, from someone who is still one of the best playmakers going around; Stewart - Lance at 10/15 would have been my choice too.
If you are looking at our back 3, I think this also improves our back 3 substantially. We can actually kick the ball from our back 3, we could play Toua on the wing, and likely had CFS cover the 11/13/14 spots from the bench.

CFS at 14 concerns me, I would not even have him in my 23, too many chances and not enough proof of his ability. If NRC form is what gets him a spot then apply it across the squad.

CFS did play really well in the NRC he looks to be a changed player, I did see enough evidence for him being a Super level player. Although it is curious that Daugunu who was the leading try scorer in the NRC and pretty much every time

It concerns me that it looks like we are (for this one datapoint, I am likely reading far too much into this) relying on older guys on short contracts, particularly the journeymen/mercenary type, if this is the case we have a fundamentally flawed approach to Rugby. I understand we probably didn't have the money to go out and get players like some of the other Super teams.*Guys like Lance, Lucas, Nabuli, Toua, Douglas, JP Smith aren't going to be the answer. Those guys should be coming in to plug a hole, do a specific job. They should only be starting until we can find a way to get our future on the field. Tupou, Hoopert, Blyth, Hockings, Rodda, Tui, Timu, Korczyck, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright; Tuttle, Stewart, Paia'aua, Perese, Daugunu; those guys are our future, they are who we need to be building our team around. Not Jono Lance and Aidan Toua (as much as I do like both of them).

* How did Melbourne afford it given they have no sponsors... oh wait the ARU will just bail them out! But seriously, anyone got any idea how Melbourne pulled that one off or are they just going to be a financial black hole?

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
This 23 makes sense with the squad that’s available. Lance can drop back to 15 when Stewart comes on and Toua can shift to wings if needed. McDermott for mind deserves his spot on bench and could bring some real energy In the last 15 minutes and Lance and Stewart can cover goal kicking duties if Tuttle off the field. Forwards are solid with some hard running to get over the advantage line they have a chance. I expect we will be solid In Scrum and lineouts. If Rebels mesh well I think we could be in trouble. If low try scoring game ( good defence) reds by 6. Defence not on song by Reds a flogging awaits them.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't agree with ZC on a point I think we have covered before. About the older guys being used only when the future can't start. The whole point of the 'future' players, is that they are meant to be starting....in the future. CURRENTLY guys like JP Smith, Douglas, Korzcyk, Toua, Lance are better players then Hoopert, Hockings, Wright, Stewart and Ngamanu.

Pick you best team you can, every week. Always have 'future' players in the squad so they can develop in a professional environment, but they start only when they have earned a position in the best team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah experience helps. We had a young team in 2011 but the value we gained from the likes of Beau Robinson, Radike, Adam Wallace-Harrison and Guy Shepherdson was pretty invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Like everyone, I'm watching Korczyk carefully. Love the guy, it's just that transition to 7 that is interesting. I understand that over the ball skills are less pivotal with the 2018 rules, but the 7 still needs to be an everyready bunny in getting to the action. He'll need to re-emphasise his work (not saying he hasn't been busy, 7 is just a different role to 6).

To me it feels like he is a place holder.

Also surprised at no Ready and that Stewart isn't starting.

So mostly the same thoughts as just about everyone. Very interested in the game - Brad's "coming out" moment. You can hide behind a wall of silence at Ballymore for so long, sooner or later the talking is done on the field.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah, I agree, although I am more concerned over the lack of kicking Eto and Toua legitimately can't kick and shouldn't ever be allowed to kick! Not sure about CFS but I haven't ever seen him kick well. This is concerning given we have both Lance, Stewart, Daugunu in the Squad who can all kick (in the case of Lance and Stewart very well).

I thought I had listed kicking ability (or lack thereof) in the back three as one of my concerns but turns out I didn't. In a match where I thought we would/should try and play field position, we have effectively picked a back three that screams "run it!". A little puzzling - I guess we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.