• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I disagree with this both the Casteal (the ARU) and Cheika have come out calling for Quade to be playing Super Rugby (although they can't make Thorn accept that). Plus my understanding is the ARU have no problem with Hunt playing Super and are mostly waiting for the Reds to make a call, and they'll be very upset if Hunt goes overseas (as he's very shy of the 60 caps required).

I think if anything Thorn is making enemies of the ARU.

Umm, this is what I was trying to say. Sorry if sarcasm failed.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey

Saw Cam Magnay out and about recently.. does the non flexible mean he is no chance to play ?

He would be handy now with no Hunt or Perese

Magnay is not even in the Squad for 2018. Would much rather have him then fumbles Chris Feauai-Sautia.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Rodda is a possible for next week, but second row or back row aren't really where we have issues at the moment.

Great Scott!
You know you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel when you are likely to have Maranta and/or Ngamanu in your 23.

After the Maranta/Ngamanu heart attack I looked at our squad and we do still have Eto Nabuli.

In my opinion we play Tuttle, Stewart, Toua, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Daugunu, Lance. With the a 5/3 split Sorovi, CFS and Nabuli on the bench.

Pretty sure Nabuli is still injured? Wrist injury IIRC. I agree when he's fit he'll be first choice for 23 over Ngamanu and Maranta.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So who's out for round 1?
Perese
Lucas
Smith
Rodda(?)
QC (Quade Cooper)
Khunt

Anyone else?

Using the trial selection as a trial, I reckon we can expect:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Tui
5 Rodda (Douglas)
6 Timu
7 Korczyk
8 Higgers

9 Tuttle
10 Lance
11 CFS
12 Paia'aua
13 Kerevi
14 Daugunu
15 Toua

16 Mafi (Ready)
17 Smith
18 Fa'agase
19 Douglas (Hockings)
20 Wright / Gunn
21 Sorovi
22 Stewart
23 Nabuli

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So I found this line in the GAGR - Tuesday Top 5 such a good summary of what I am anticipating for this season.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-tuesday-top-5-72/ said:
They will slay dragons yet fall flat on their faces in the mud tripping over their own feet.

Also anyone think Hockings/Blyth are a chance to start game one given Douglas is yet to show up this year, or will Thorn take the safe option?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^

No, I don't think so. Heard that Rodda may be back early but obviously hasn't played a game.

So whilst Kane has not played too well so far he will probably still start and maybe Rodda rides the pine

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Rodda is a possible for next week, but second row or back row aren't really where we have issues at the moment.

Great Scott!
You know you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel when you are likely to have Maranta and/or Ngamanu in your 23.

After the Maranta/Ngamanu heart attack I looked at our squad and we do still have Eto Nabuli.

In my opinion we play Tuttle, Stewart, Toua, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Daugunu, Lance. With the a 5/3 split Sorovi, CFS and Nabuli on the bench.

Nabuli injured for round 1

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Using the trial selection as a trial, I reckon we can expect:

1 Slipper
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Tui
5 Rodda (Douglas)
6 Timu
7 Korczyk
8 Higgers

9 Tuttle
10 Lance
11 CFS
12 Paia'aua
13 Kerevi
14 Daugunu
15 Toua

16 Mafi (Ready)
17 Smith
18 Fa'agase
19 Douglas (Hockings)
20 Wright / Gunn
21 Sorovi
22 Stewart
23 Nabuli
Maybe Teti Tela at 23?

T

TOCC

Ngaumanu seems to offer something that us fans haven’t seen yet, so perhaps he will sneak in as 23rd player. Admittedly he did show glimpses on day 2 of the Brisbane 10s with his two tries.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Well it wasn’t season ending but 6 weeks without him is just as bad.

I heard that surgery was on the cards but they are hopeful a 6 week break will be enough. If that doesn't work he may be out for longer.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
I heard that surgery was on the cards but they are hopeful a 6 week break will be enough. If that doesn't work he may be out for longer.

Not good me thinks - partial ACL and full recovery in 6 weeks is very optimistic. I reckon surgery not if but when....bugger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst it's bad luck getting injured on the eve of the season starting if he can recover from the partial ACL tear and get away with not needing a knee reconstruction it will be a stroke of good fortune.

6 weeks vs the whole season is a huge difference. It will be a nervous return for everyone when it happens.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
A partial ACL tear can't have surgery. Similar timeframes to an MCL or something like that if it goes well. He will however be at some higher risk of it tearing fully in the future (how much higher risk is difficult to say), at which point a knee recon would likely be required if he wants to return to the top level.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting from 9.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/20/03/35/brisbane-city-backs-ballymore-rebuild-push

The first bit reads.

A-League aspirants Brisbane City have thrown their weight behind a growing campaign for a redevelopment of Ballymore Stadium, saying the historic venue should be restored to its former glory.
Football Federation Australia's announcement last week that two new teams will join the competition in the 2019-20 season couldn't have been more timely for City, a foundation club of the NSL and a leading expansion contender.
Their intended home ground, Ballymore, is suddenly back in the news.
Rugby Australia is behind a fresh push for a rebuild of the old and decaying 18,000-seat venue in inner-city Herston, which is a $1 million per year drain on the Queensland Rugby Union in depreciation, maintenance and associated costs.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure how this will impact the Reds, but JP Smith brother Ruan has left the Sunwolves squad (from what i hear on a perm basis) for family reasons (someone said his Mother might be unwell, but can't confirm that).

Not sure if the family is based in Aus, or they still reside in SA.

Hopefully all ends well for the Smiths.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh definitely no good.

Wouldn't surprise me if JP had some leave or absence or Ruan in some capacity links up with the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.