• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is why I am negative towards the Reds (more directly at the QRU actually):

I am embarrassed to wear any of their gear. I am embarrassed to tell anyone that I support them.

I’m talking about the Rebels. The Reds just suck :)

That was posted in another thread, and this person was absolutely right. If I tell anyone that I follow the reds, I am told that they just suck. I have no pride in the reds, because in all honesty - they suck.

Can you imagine being a Saders fan? Or a Brumbies fan? What must that be like knowing that your team is going to go out there and deliver a performance that is likely to produce a win, and likely to be of a certain quality?

If I go to a Reds game, I am virtually ensured of not just a bad performance but one that is comically bad. The number of ways the reds can fuck something up is quite simply astonishing. How long before one of the reds runs out on the field with pants on their head? I only ask because I am yet to see that, but they have repeatedly managed to screw things up in ways that no one would have previously conceived.

Turn it around, Reds. Please.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

I am embarrassed to wear any of their gear. I am embarrassed to tell anyone that I support them.

That was posted in another thread, and this person was absolutely right. If I tell anyone that I follow the reds, I am told that they just suck. I have no pride in the reds, because in all honesty - they suck.

Can you imagine being a Saders fan? Or a Brumbies fan? What must that be like knowing that your team is going to go out there and deliver a performance that is likely to produce a win, and likely to be of a certain quality?

If I go to a Reds game, I am virtually ensured of not just a bad performance but one that is comically bad. The number of ways the reds can fuck something up is quite simply astonishing. How long before one of the reds runs out on the field with pants on their head? I only ask because I am yet to see that, but they have repeatedly managed to screw things up in ways that no one would have previously conceived.

I was joking a little. Look, it could be worse, last week was the first time I saw the Rebels win for about 20 months and the Force fans don't even have a team anymore. But my personal opinion is that this is going to be the season from hell for the Reds. Losing Cooper, Hunt and Frisby after the teams have been signed up isn't great. Having TT as defensive coach is baffling - he was head coach of the Rebels for 4 years and although 2015 was an improvement on 2014, in 2016, the Rebels were the third worst at Tries Against and Points Against and in 2017 they were the second worst at both. Let's hope at least the team can show some spirit and start to develop some young players for the future.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)

Hi Bob

I feel for you (I am a Tahs fan and I know how you feel)

I am not going to get into all the wrongdoings of the QRU and Australian Rugby in general however some of the decision making truly baffles me. It is like the expect fans to just keep turning up regardless of what product is on/off the field! No wonder some fans have truly given up.

Sadly someone had to win last week Rebels/Reds, hopefully you guys turn things around this week :)

I would love nothing more than the Reds vs Tahs rounds of old, packed house both teams firing!

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

I must say I do I do understand your position, but I don't think it's entirely the QRU/Reds fault. There are a few factors that really make it difficult for all the Australia teams, and the Reds particularly to compete evenly with the other Super Rugby teams.

Firstly, I'll start with the good. Queensland produces some 40% of the Australia Super Rugby tallent, not bad for a state that has a population of less than 5m compared to the NSW population of 7.5m. So we clearly are getting it right when it comes to producing the tallent. Add to that the number of Queenslanders who are playing in overseas competitions and I would estimate Queensland is likely producing something close to 50% of the top rugby tallent in Australia.

This leads me to the bad; all the Australian Super Rugby teams operate under a salary cap this has two functions one to control costs and two to ensure a level playing field for the Australian Super Rugby teams. This is likely, in part, why so much of the Australian Talent goes overseas. At present the Salary Cap is around $5m a year. With the ARU giving 'top ups' to Wallaby players, I'm not sure there is anyone who really understand how these work.

Now, we come to how/why the Brumbies / Waratahs are able to be 'so much better' than the Reds. To this I have two reasons; first they have made some not so amazing bets in an attempt to 'get good now' examples of this include Quade Cooper for $650 a year, K. Hunt for a similar amount, as well as the ageing Higginbotham and Smith (although I'm not exactly sure how much they are making, and they have been fairly productive). Then the second reason that the Reds struggle financially. This is because the system is fundamentally unequal, the ARU gives out money to the various clubs -- a lot going to Melbourne as they are attempting to grow the game there (a largely futile endeavor IMO), as well as the Force and the Waratahs, the QRU have (as far as I'm aware and I'm open to hearing differently) received the least funding of any of the Super Rugby teams, and have the least ARU top ups (and I don't think because they lack the talent).
Mix into this the fact that the decreapet Ballymore is costing the QRU a small fortune to maintain, and is an asset they can't tap into any of the value of, as well as a largely absent State Government (compared to other Codes and Super Teams) and you can see why the QRU is struggling financially.

You can see the reasoning behind bringing in someone like Quade (perhaps they overpaid for him a touch, although it's easy to see a European team offering him a half million a year). It was viewed as something to turn around the struggling team.

When you look at the side, and I mean really look, you can see the core of a really good team building. 25 of our 40 odd man squad are under the age of 25. And I would guess that 20 of them have the potential to be real Super Rugby Starters at some point in their career. This Reds team is the youngest of any of the Super Rugby teams (quite possibly the youngest of any professional rugby teams in the world).

We tried the 'quick fix' and that didn't work, so now we are going through the rebuilding process. To quote the 76's GM Sam Hinkie "Trust in the Process" the Reds will get there, it won't likely be tomorrow (although it could be tomorrow!) but I think we can really see this team grow and develop.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Hi Bob

I feel for you (I am a Tahs fan and I know how you feel)

I am not going to get into all the wrongdoings of the QRU and Australian Rugby in general however some of the decision making truly baffles me. It is like the expect fans to just keep turning up regardless of what product is on/off the field! No wonder some fans have truly given up.

Sadly someone had to win last week Rebels/Reds, hopefully you guys turn things around this week :)

I would love nothing more than the Reds vs Tahs rounds of old, packed house both teams firing!

Jesus, you say that like the Tars don't have every advantage in Australian Rugby and still squander it; need I remind you the Waratahs finished below the Reds last season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck me..........
Sure the Reds are not travelling well and it's OK to be critical and put your 2 bob's worth in.
Sure we can all be critical of players, the QRU, Cordingly, Slaughter, RG, Stiles and even some are of Thorn after 1 game.
It won't stop me being a supporter of the Reds. I like to think I have some loyalty through the good times and bad. I have no problem telling others that I support the Reds. Most know because I often wear my Reds cap on weekends. I don't give a crap what others may or may not think.

Otherwise you are a fence sitter, a pretend supporter who only supports winning teams. Fuck, wouldn't that be nice!
Hate to be in the trenches with people like that. They'd steal your bullets......

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Fuck me....
Sure the Reds are not travelling well and it's OK to be critical and put your 2 bob's worth in.
Sure we can all be critical of players, the QRU, Cordingly, Slaughter, RG, Stiles and even some are of Thorn after 1 game.
It won't stop me being a supporter of the Reds. I like to think I have some loyalty through the good times and bad. I have no problem telling others that I support the Reds. Most know because I often wear my Reds cap on weekends. I don't give a crap what others may or may not think.

Otherwise you are a fence sitter, a pretend supporter who only supports winning teams. Fuck, wouldn't that be nice!
Hate to be in the trenches with people like that. They'd steal your bullets..

Though I do think many of the participants in this thread actually show they're rusted on supporters by the level of their bitching.
It's a 'past your playing days rugby thing'.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not embarrassed to tell people I'm a Reds fan and I still look forward to any chance to wear my Reds gear. Yeah we're not going real well at the moment or for the last few years but the Reds aren't just the team of the last few years, they are the commercial face of over a century of QLD Rugby. Logistics determine that I don't often get to games although I'd dearly love to. I don't judge those that see things differently though, horses for courses.

If I could offer one pieces of advice though, try not to miss the forest for the trees. Just because you're not on board with the coach, or the treatment of Quade or the discipline issues or whatever else it could be (take your pick, the list is long), don't forget it's still the Reds. It's still the team that I assume you loved deeply at some stage. Don't write this season off on a sample size of one game. We've got 5-odd months to do that! :D

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Fuck me....

Hate to be in the trenches with people like that. They'd steal your bullets..

Rusted on right here, but seems to me over the last 5 years QRU have gotten out the sandblaster to remove rust.

Reds need to listen up.

Critical thinking did not start on Brad after the first game. It started (appropriately) on his appointment. I always speak up when I see good things. Works both ways.

BTW I'd share my bullets with any Red.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds have had 10 coaches since Knuckles left and 8 have been duds. Jury is still out on Thorn, but there are very very few examples of guys with his experience succeeding.

Why do the board keep appointing shit coaches?

Don't have any expectations for success and enjoy the comedy. It's why being a Reds supporter is the best

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Why do the board keep appointing shit coaches?

The Balleymore car park can only hold so many cars! Plus, not many world class coaches live in the Newmarket/Herston region.

In terms of wearing of the colours, who wants to drop $140 - $160 on a jersey that is so bulky and heavy that you can't wear it outside of a month or two of the year.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not embarrassed to tell people I'm a Reds fan and I still look forward to any chance to wear my Reds gear. Yeah we're not going real well at the moment or for the last few years but the Reds aren't just the team of the last few years, they are the commercial face of over a century of QLD Rugby. Logistics determine that I don't often get to games although I'd dearly love to. I don't judge those that see things differently though, horses for courses.

If I could offer one pieces of advice though, try not to miss the forest for the trees. Just because you're not on board with the coach, or the treatment of Quade or the discipline issues or whatever else it could be (take your pick, the list is long), don't forget it's still the Reds. It's still the team that I assume you loved deeply at some stage. Don't write this season off on a sample size of one game. We've got 5-odd months to do that! :D
It's the years, and years of pain and disappointment though. The 2010-2013 was really just a flash in the pan from my perspective.

I'm not telling anyone else to change how they feel about them.

The reality of the reds results over time is that they grossly underperform. Just hard facts that has worn me completely out. I feel like year in, year out I am being cheated out something that could be good by such a multitude of ineptness that is monumental.

The reds *should* be like the Saders (so should the Blues, by the way). But we are historically the complete opposite from where I sit - and I am juat tired of being lied to by them.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
If I tell anyone that I follow the reds, I am told that they just suck.

I get the same old dribble.....
I let them know that I’m more of a Reds fan then they are and I’m reminded how much they suck week in week out because I actually watch the games. I Don’t rely on the 6pm sports news to show me a 15 second clip of the Reds losing again or read social media post.
These fucktarts also had the dribbles on about Quade, Genia, Horwill in 08,09 and had the Nerve to ask me if I had any spare tickets for the Reds grand final. Dicks....

By the way Gel, the Reds still suck. But you love them.... I still do, sort of.....

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The reds *should* be like the Saders (so should the Blues, by the way). But we are historically the complete opposite from where I sit - and I am juat tired of being lied to by them.

It's really sad that my standards have fallen to "just play cohesive footy and don't get carded" and we still cannot come even close to that for most of the last several years.

Rugby skills aside.. can you imagine ever seeing an unfit 'Saders side running around with 13-14 men for portions of many of their games? Seems like we can't even get the stuff right that you need to have hammered down before playing rugby is even something you're thinking about.

Reactions: gel

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Sport is not about winning, it's about the competition. It's about supporting your team even if they are fucking terrible.

The enjoyment you get from watching a team win who you have supported even when they were terrible is much greater than just supporting a team because they win.

Don't be embarrassed eh. Sport is cyclical. If Super Rugby doesn't collapse entirely the reds will be good again in the future.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This is surely an opinion and thinking forum. If the QRU is not listening to the rusted on fans what chance is there? If the fans continue with this myopically shallow hey, whatever happens "We are Red", then the QRU has nothing to listen to.

There are YEARS of inappropriate decision making with very obvious results.

There is nothing wrong with critical thinking and if that means that Reds need a metaphorical slap in the face then the truly rusted on fan should desire giving it.

Also this polemic that is offered - you are with us or against us (or not welcome in the trench or however else you want to put it) - is arrant nonsense. Very few things in life are black and white. Everyone will have a bottom line as to when they cut.

Mine would be (at least in part) an intrinsically determined dangerous conduct integrated into the team culture. We are not there - but it is entirely appropriate to be asking questions.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^
Dru agree with a lot of what you say.
The "trench" comment was probably flippant but made because certain people are "embarrassed" at wearing Reds stuff
I just don't care what others think but TBH I've never had shit criticism because of my support for the Reds more like a bit of sympathy

Reactions: dru
T

TOCC

Sport is not about winning, it's about the competition. It's about supporting your team even if they are fucking terrible.

Hmmm... I think that's what organisations would like us to think, that we have some sort of allegiance and emotional investment in teams. Its a marketing technique to make people feel that we have a nostalgiac allegiance to these teams.

But the reality is that people watch sports because they want to watch the best athletes performing their skills at the highest level, if it were merely about competition then people could watch any tier rugby. And, the reality is that the Reds, and more broadly all of the Australian rugby teams haven't fit that category for a number of years.

I have found myself getting up early and watching the 6 Nations in recent weeks, and I admittedly have a far greater interest in them then 99% of the Super Rugby matches. I don't support any of those teams or really care who wins, but I do like watching high quality rugby.

I have previously had mates playing at the Reds, and that probably drove my interest in watching them in the late 2000s, but they've all now moved on and I increasingly find myself questioning how I can justify allocating 90mins of my time on a Fri/Sat night, to watch a team or pay tickets to game for an organisation which has demonstrated itself to be completely inept the past 5 years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But the reality is that people watch sports because they want to watch the best athletes performing their skills at the highest level, if it were merely about competition then people could watch any tier rugby. And, the reality is that the Reds, and more broadly all of the Australian rugby teams haven't fit that category for a number of years.

I guess this is more or less part of the same point i was making.

I watched the Blues v Highlanders for the quality and the entertainment of watching a close game, and i watch my team strive to achieve those levels because i enjoy having a team to identify with. (i suppose it is mostly marketing, but fuck it?)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Andrew Ready was just listed on the big screen as "not required" along with Cooper, Frisby and Hunt.

I thought Ready was still in the mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.