• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not sure what you expected to happen. We've been crap for years and it sounds like you thought there would be some sort of miracle change in the way we play.
If you actually looked at what happened in that game you'd see things have started to change. You would have seen heart and a willingness to give everything for the guy beside them.
Brad Thorn won't be kicked out of the job anytime soon. He will get at least two years in the top job. Too many people have backed him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dru

David Wilson (68)
I did not at all agree with Brad being selected. And nor will I shy away from criticism where I think it due.

But this does not translate to my wanting him gone. There has been too much of that. I have said previously we need to be thinking a ride of 5 years with Brad. He heeds a couple for learning on the job. Then the usual 3 year coach cycle.

This does not mean I am impressed with how he has started. There has been some ridiculous talk around what he would achieve - not by yourself to be fair, but that chat is proving shallow. The bloke is just as green as I expected. Not more so and not less so.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Totally agree re Cordingley. Have no idea how he got the job in the first place amazed he has been kept to date. Thorn strikes me as still connecting with players as a senior player rather than as a coach. Almost as a non playing captain. Yes he has made some big calls re Quade and others but that doesn’t make them right or that they were commercialy sensible. Making tough calls is a coaches job for sure but making the right calls is more important. I don’t want to call for his head and we need stability in the coaching roll for a few years. I don’t think this team has the ability to fire though for a few years and most teams only have a few years if that together. Most clubs will have many years between championships and ours is no different. If they play well with character and win a few surprises along the way great. My main concern is though that I doubt we have the cattle to do even that at the moment. Let’s face it, is this team any better than previous years?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The fact that I've been a Philadelphia sports fan my entire life and the year the Sixers/Eagles are having/have had is the only thing that's going to get me through Super Rugby this year, lol.

I'm sure QC (Quade Cooper) is pretty chuffed about the Eagles winning the Super Bowl too ;)

Ugly result.

Yeah, followed the Eagles a bit as well. Thought they were gone when Wentz went down, then Foles was just unbelievable, an incredible story. Plus the Kelce rant after. Love it.

Embiid and Simmons will be huge for the Sixers, but everything will depend on Embiid staying healthy for them. Might be a tall ask. Or if Fultz ever makes it back and even looks close to what he did in the Summer League.

Philly sport just seems to have a massive chip on its shoulder, and I love it.

edit: PS Trust the Process!

dru

David Wilson (68)
My main concern is though that I doubt we have the cattle to do even that at the moment. Let’s face it, is this team any better than previous years?

We've got the cattle. We struggle with coaches. Have done for years.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Thorn strikes me as still connecting with players as a senior player rather than as a coach. Almost as a non playing captain. Yes he has made some big calls re Quade and others but that doesn’t make them right or that they were commercialy sensible. Making tough calls is a coaches job for sure but making the right calls is more important. I don’t want to call for his head and we need stability in the coaching roll for a few years.

I do kind of agree, I think Thorn is a good mix of an outsider who is still from 'Queensland'. And for the moment I think he's what we need for the next few seasons anyway, he's going to have the players fit and motivated to put in the best performance they can week in week out. I'm not sure of his technical ability, but I suspect that's more what McGahan is there for anyway.
Regarding his 'big calls' I think they are kind of what he needed for 'his team'. It would be hard for the Reds to be seen as anything other than Quade and Genia's team had they both been in Red this season and I think Thorn is pulling in a different direction it being his team. If that's the best choice for the team I think comes down to if we are paying our really young guys --Stewart, Daugunu, Perese, Korczyk, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, Timu, Hockings, Blyth. I think with those kinds of guys the question needs to be 'Why can't I get him on?', we need to be looking for minutes for our young guys, we need to be finding ways to get them on the bench. Because that's how they get better, that's how we get better as a team. We don't have the money to go out and sign star players, we have to grow our own.
Rodda and Tui are brilliant examples of this, you don't really know what a player is capable of until you test them at Super level. Last year they were both brought into the side due to poor form and/or injuries next thing you know they are playing for the Wallabies! We could have easily not started them and never known how good they were, now I think those two are guys you write in on the team sheet in ink.

I think you are spot on when you say we need stability, we need Thorn (because he's the coach we have right now) to be our coach for the next 2 maybe 3 years. It's as simple as that. If when our young guns are 24-30 we aren't winning then we sack our coach and go looking for another. And if nothing else the QRU just can't afford it.

I don’t think this team has the ability to fire though for a few years and most teams only have a few years if that together. Most clubs will have many years between championships and ours is no different. If they play well with character and win a few surprises along the way great. My main concern is though that I doubt we have the cattle to do even that at the moment. Let’s face it, is this team any better than previous years?

I think the window on this team is firmly shut this season, I think the absolute best we can hope for is to just miss out on finals, but that's unlikely. Our focus should be on developing our young players. You are right, we don't have enough talent to win now if we tried.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
^^^ Again, we have the talent. We dont have the coaching.

We have some talent that will certainly develop further with the right coaching and game time. I am not convinced we have retained all the right talent we have had available to us across all positions. In super rugby you really can’t afford weakness in any position or on the bench. When i watch the Nz teams I don’t see any players I would consider out of their depth. I can’t say the same about the reds I am afraid.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The fact that I've been a Philadelphia sports fan my entire life and the year the Sixers/Eagles are having/have had is the only thing that's going to get me through Super Rugby this year, lol.

I'm sure QC (Quade Cooper) is pretty chuffed about the Eagles winning the Super Bowl too ;)

Ugly result.

Hell I even celebrated the Iggles winning - and I'm a Broncos fan

(Granted, there were other reasons as to my backing of Philly.......)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
We have some talent that will certainly develop further with the right coaching and game time. I am not convinced we have retained all the right talent we have had available to us across all positions. In super rugby you really can’t afford weakness in any position or on the bench. When i watch the Nz teams I don’t see any players I would consider out of their depth. I can’t say the same about the reds I am afraid.

I honestly, don't know any players in the last few years who is clearly better. There are a few in recent years, but I'd point out the QRU produce some 40% of the Aussie Super Rugby players you can't keep 'em all!

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Naisarani and Banks too. Both would easily start in the current team. And they were lost on their first full contracts - they should have been easy retains. Naisarani in particular was hardly a controversial pick. Banks showed promise but didn't hit top form until he'd already moved to the Brumbies, but Naisarani was a no-brainer.

And we've missed signing Naisarani twice, which is even worse.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Naisarani was offered a big contract which is why he went to the Force originally. I don't think the Reds were in a position to compete financially.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You can't think of one player in the Reds side that's better than a few years ago?
Stop watching rugby now!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Gill, McMahon, Genia would have been handy.

Gill, and McMahon would have been nice to keep, but there is no way we were ever going to be able to compete with the French/Japanese Clubs financially; even if we had the apparent bottomless pockets of the Rebels.

Naisarani and Banks.

Naisarani was offered big money by the force and we weren't going to try to match. It just didn't make sense to offer a player who could be Caleb Timu -- Pocock money.

Banks is a miss, but we weren't exactly poor in outside backs at the time, and really still aren't. Although I'd really rather not be in a situation where you are starting the 28 year old Aidan Toua.

As for Genia, it would have been nice to sign him, but he really doesn't fit into our plans going forward. Let's say we have Genia -- he boosts us from a poor team to a middling team, or from a middling team to a decent team. Then in 2 years we haven't' developed any of Tuttle, Serovi or McDermott. I think that's an opportunity lost.

I do think if we are being harsh losing Mack Mansion is a real loss, but at this point I think Stewart is superior.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Naisarani was offered a big contract which is why he went to the Force originally. I don't think the Reds were in a position to compete financially.

The Reds need to be smart, while ever they own the two NRC teams they need to stipulate in the contracts that any NRC player must give the Reds an option to match an offer by another team.

This way if a superstar is found in NRC we can hopefully keep them, if they dont like the contract then enjoy club rugby

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Naisarani was offered a contract with a massive back end (2nd year) and bugger all in the first.

Despite knowing they were on the chopping block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
^^^ Again, we have the talent. We dont have the coaching.

To be fair that can be said about all of Australian Pro Rugby excepting the Women's 7s and maybe the Men's side if they keep improving.

There were a few glimmers of improvement in the Australian Super sides, but the gulf to the NZ sides is simply enormous and even Clarke had to admit that they showed no "rustiness" that he excuses the Australian performances with.

Reactions: dru

dru

David Wilson (68)
To be fair that can be said about all of Australian Pro Rugby excepting the Women's 7s and maybe the Men's side if they keep improving.

There were a few glimmers of improvement in the Australian Super sides, but the gulf to the NZ sides is simply enormous and even Clarke had to admit that they showed no "rustiness" that he excuses the Australian performances with.

Completely agree. Add in the HQ admin and back staff with coaching and we are getting close. In fact that is it - if you presume HQ/backstaff would/should look to pathways and connection to grass roots.

It may define all of Aus pro rugby, though my primary interest is the Reds. I would suggest that through history and established communities, Qld and NSW SHOULD be the most advanced franchises thr9ugh this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.