• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The good news is that the Reds are going to be close to a full strength side in their away game against the Brumbies after the bye.
Its going to be one of those difficult selection problems that's good to have.

Yeah completely agree. Should have St. George back, Tui too. Higgers maybe coming back into the starting side.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yep George Smith and Perese were both scheduled for their returns in the Brumbies match, creates a few interesting selection dilemmas.

George Smith and Higgers coming off the bench?

Perese easily replaces Nabuli

Fuck I have been so impressed with Daugunu and CFS on the wings I completely forgot we have Perese coming back!

We'll in that case Paia'aua isn't going to get off the bench for a while... I'm guessing once Perese is at 100% we'll have Tuttle, Lance, Daugunu, Kerevi, CFS, Perese Toua. Maybe next week we'll see Paia'aua given one last shot at with Perese off the bench.

Forwards are a more difficult question, do you start Higgers and Smith... Long term I think you keep Smith coming off the bench and try to save him for those big games, but fuck he was good last year! He'd have easily walked into the Wallabies Squad at 37 if they were picking purely on form & ability.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
This is lucky about Thor. I thought (from the angles I saw) his arm was in the process of wrapping around as his shoulder hit the guy like a sledgehammer. The contact point of the hit looked legal but he bounced up and the way the guys head snapped back looked bad.

I thought he might be gone based on the brutality of the hit more than his technique.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Thor VERY lucky and therefore so are the Reds.

Higgers will surely start and I would think George from the bench.

He hasn't played for a long time. 20 minutes would be ample.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d like to see Smith start. I continue to be very impressed with Korcyzk but, for mine, if Smith is fit to play he starts and you get as many minutes as you can out of him - be that 40, 50 or 60.

No young bloke should feel downhearted about being dropped for George Smith.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Surely the Reds best XV is something resembling
Slipper. BPA. Thor
Rodda Tui
Higgers Timu Smith
Tuttle
Lance
Paia’ua
Kerevi
2 of CFS, Perese, Daugunu
Toua

Mafi/Ready
JP Smith or Fa’agase
Ruan Smith or Fa’agase
Douglas
Korzyck
Lucas
Stewart
The winger that missed out on starting

Maybe you argue that CFS or Perese play 13 outside Samu with DP covering 12 and 15 from bench

The cubs who have performed well for us last few weeks have the job of knocking off the aboveboard players over coming weeks and months, but I don’t reckon many of them should be expected to really dominate consistently. Much better to titrate them in when we need them

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Fwds bench is pretty handy! No room for Wright, Hocking or Scott-Young. Is Higgers around next year? I sort of hope not from a retention long term view.

T

TOCC

I don’t see Perese as a 13, his passing skills are average and I suspect his defence is no better then Kerevis at this stage.

Perese can still play to his strengths on the wing, and his weaknesses aren’t exactly exposed as much. In the short term thats his better position IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
What was the official diagnosis on Perese knee injury? I seem to recall it was either a partial ACL tear or a meniscus tear.. now i don't want to play Internet Doctor here but I think the 5 week window was very generous and if it's the partial ACL tear there's a chance if it hasn't healed by his self & doctors might reevaluate and send him off for surgery.

Again i'm not a internet doctor although I have my doubts about him returning so soon.
Has he been seen training running or anything?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Higs is signed to end of 2019, but it's still on peanuts so he may just bail and go to Japan again. I hope not however as we will already lose Douglas and high chance of Smith. Would like to keep the captain on again, only he and slipper would be considered experienced in that entire forward pack.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Surely the Reds best XV is something resembling
Slipper. BPA. Thor
Rodda Tui
Higgers Timu Smith
Tuttle
Lance
Paia’ua
Kerevi
2 of CFS, Perese, Daugunu
Toua

Mafi/Ready
JP Smith or Fa’agase
Ruan Smith or Fa’agase
Douglas
Korzyck
Lucas
Stewart
The winger that missed out on starting

I'd probably have Smith or Higgers at 8 (at least on attacking scrums), but otherwise for the forwards pretty spot on. Although like I've said before I'd be tempted to get Smith as much rest as you can given he's fucking 40! Should be get lucky and make the finals you'd want him fairly fresh. So maybe you'd rotate the other guys in and out of that third back row spot. You could also depending on the game situation look at trying to pull Higgers early from games where you can -- there isn't a whole lot between any of the guys who have played for us already and the starting XV. ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright, Korczyk, Hockings have all accounted for themselves very well thus far.

As for the backs, I'm not sold, I still think Toua is best on the wing (but he does have the skills to play 15). And if we are playing Lance at 10 we can't play Paia'aua at 12. Perhaps Stewart - Paia'aua will work moving Lance to 15, assuming Toua is on the wing but we haven't yet seen that so we can't really know. But there are too many moving parts to the backline. I hope we experiment with it and it doesn't take a Waratahs/Folau-esqu situation for us to look at those kinds of things.
But the backline isn't quite humming along yet but I'm sure if they keep tinkering with it they'll find something that fits.

T

TOCC

Higs is signed to end of 2019, but it's still on peanuts so he may just bail and go to Japan again. I hope not however as we will already lose Douglas and high chance of Smith. Would like to keep the captain on again, only he and slipper would be considered experienced in that entire forward pack.

His first year was on peanuts, the Reds had filled their roster when he approached the Reds in 2017 when they could only offer him a supplementary roster position, but he has an upgraded contract for 2018-2019.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Korczyk has aquited himself well, but if it were my call, if there isn't room for him at 6 and must play open side he would be wearing 20/21. Presuming fitness I'd be starting Smith in this game. Ditto Higgers who still needs playing time to prove the faith Thorn has given him.

After reading the Nic Bishop article, I wouldn't stuff around too much with Tupou's scrummaging either. Possibly look at a B plan for feet placement if a repeat referee performance happens, but otherwise I'd be saying "don't worry about it just do what you've been doing".

Back line selection will be interesting.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper. BPA. Thor (BPA is a much better scrummager than Mafi)
Rodda Douglas (both are playing well)
Higgers Timu Korzyck
Tuttle (Lucas was a bit slow for me)
Lance
Paia’ua (not convinced he is better than CFS)
Kerevi
CFS, Daugunu
Toua

Ready (better scrummager than Mafi anda bit more impact in the tight)
Fa’agase (hope he has a better set piece game next outing)
JP Smith (Ruan wasn't too good last week, nor was JP, particularly at scrum time)
Tui (bit of a lay off and others are playing well)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
Sir George
Lucas
Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.