• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

David Wilson (68)
@Scrubber

I'd be tempted to swap George and Adam. Also note that perhaps Lucas was slow because that was the game plan - though I do agree.

It is a squad that is really showing the potential we were all hoping for.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Sir George

Is he a Sir or a St?
Can he be both?

Also Lucas would be a question mark for me, but since you have the 6-2 split I agree.

Re Mafi, I like him coming off the bench, he's a nice bench player I'd maybe keep him playing from the bench but I agree both BPA and Ready are superior Hookers.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is he a Sir or a St?
Can he be both?

Also Lucas would be a question mark for me, but since you have the 6-2 split I agree.

Re Mafi, I like him coming off the bench, he's a nice bench player I'd maybe keep him playing from the bench but I agree both BPA and Ready are superior Hookers.

But if BPA & Ready are superior Hookers, then surely they are the start/bench forwards. If Mafi is inferior (opposite to superior;) ), then he should be having a premier club game.

T

TOCC

Ref Tupou's citing, and why it was deemed a yellow card

“The Judicial Committee concluded that the Player, while attempting to use his arms, failed to properly grasp his opponent in the tackle, which resulted in the point of contact being between the Player’s right shoulder and his opponent’s upper chest area, causing the opponent to bounce off the Player.​
“An inadequate attempt to grasp his opponent immediately before the point of impact resulted in the action being reckless as to the consequences thereof.”​

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
But if BPA & Ready are superior Hookers, then surely they are the start/bench forwards. If Mafi is inferior (opposite to superior;) ), then he should be having a premier club game.

He's not going to give you as much as BPA or Ready, but he also isn't going to make too many mistakes late in a game. I feel like he's a very safe player, but also doesn't stand out. Over 80 minutes those mistakes can be made up for with superior play, but if you are only getting 5-10 minutes a game -- at the end of a game, that one mistake you make will likely cost you the match.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure about the calls to bring Smith straight back into the team. Korcyzk has been playing very well and as I recall, Smith was one of our most penalised forwards last year. Given the changes to the breakdown laws I can't see that stat improving for him. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For every pilfer or forced penalty Smith earned last year he also gave away a penalty. I'm pretty sure he was the most penalised player in the competition.

Outside of the cards, the Reds discipline this year has been one of their greatest attributes.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Per minute last year Douglas had appalling discipline - one of the main reasons he ended up on the bench. He's turned that around this year so hopefully George can too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
For every pilfer or forced penalty Smith earned last year he also gave away a penalty. I'm pretty sure he was the most penalised player in the competition.

Outside of the cards, the Reds discipline this year has been one of their greatest attributes.

George Smith?
He was the most penalised, but if you looked at his production it was off the charts, if you looked at penalties per minute he was actually not too bad, not super but I'd put that down to him adjusting back to Super Rugby.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
George Smith?
He was the most penalised, but if you looked at his production it was off the charts, if you looked at penalties per minute he was actually not too bad, not super but I'd put that down to him adjusting back to Super Rugby.

Amazing his age too. he is such a warhorse.

Wonder if he'll keep playing footy once his body can't handle super rugby anymore? Hopefully George is inspired how far into Brad Thorn career he kept playing footy. I could totally envision seeing George Smith in clubland cameos now & then.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This may be heresy but I wouldn't be rushing Smith back in.

Discipline is a huge part of this team this year and Smith just wasn't disciplined last year. Many just dumb and lazy penalties. His discipline off the field was pretty terrible too as he was caught up with Frisby and Ready. He obviously didn't change in the Japan season. He stood out last year (was our player of the year was he not?) because everyone was so average.

I'd give him a club game or two and he could play a bench role soon.

The backline and team has looked best this year with Samu at 12 and CFS at 13. Put Perese back at wing and that's a very decent backline.

We need to start scoring points though, regardless.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Perese and Daugunu on the wings is deadly. Daugunu's right foot step at full flight in his solo effort against the Stormers is one of the best changes of direction I've seen in years, probably since Folau cut Israel Dagg in half in Wellington a few years back. There's really only a handful of players in both rugby league and union in Australia who can move sideways at full throttle like that.

T

TOCC

Yeah I know I said Smith for the sake of the Pocock vs Smith battle, but that was tongue in cheek.. I think with the new breakdown laws and the style the Reds are playing, I think you keep Korczyk in the starting XV

dru

David Wilson (68)
Discipline is a huge part of this team this year and Smith just wasn't disciplined last year.

Yes he was (edit: undisciplined). After the crazy first game scenario, do we think that Thorn was either on it, or got on it after? If the answer is neither then my changed support for Thorn would go back to the first game.

So presuming the answer is, hell Thorn is all over it, why would we think that an extreme veteran is the only squad member to not take note?

If we're ready to play Higgers, no restrictions on Smith (bar his readiness).

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
This may be heresy but I wouldn't be rushing Smith back in.

Discipline is a huge part of this team this year and Smith just wasn't disciplined last year. Many just dumb and lazy penalties. His discipline off the field was pretty terrible too as he was caught up with Frisby and Ready. He obviously didn't change in the Japan season. He stood out last year (was our player of the year was he not?) because everyone was so average.

I'd give him a club game or two and he could play a bench role soon.

HERESY!!!!!

No - I understand what you are saying completely. Generally I agree.

As far as I understand George Smith has never been a fantastic trainer, but I’ve never heard he has previously been a disruptive influence.

If he is not buying in to what Thorn is selling then I wouldn’t expect him to come into calculations at all. It seems Thorn is going to stick to his guns on that come what may (and based on results so far, why would he change).

My call to start him was under the assumption that he is onboard.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Let's just hope that 18 days in Japanese detention and getting sacked from your previous team changes a man

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Some breaking news.

Huge breaking news Taniela Tupou found some strange white power at the Reds training today.

Coach Brad Thorn & Assistant Coach: Tony McGahan, called the Queensland police to investigate. All training was cancelled and the area roped off pending police investigations.

After three hours business as normal was resumed when the white power was found to be the try line and something the Reds are not use to seeing.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Some breaking news.

Huge breaking news Taniela Tupou found some strange white power at the Reds training today.

Coach Brad Thorn & Assistant Coach: Tony McGahan, called the Queensland police to investigate. All training was cancelled and the area roped off pending police investigations.

After three hours business as normal was resumed when the white power was found to be the try line and something the Reds are not use to seeing.

this was not funny...

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Status
Not open for further replies.