• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mate it is where he grew up. The area is a hot bed of professional rugby talent. Over the last couple of years you have had Jed Holloway, Kane Douglas, Cody Walker from Yamba, Jake McIntyre, Alex Gibbon from Alstonville, Issac Rodda from Evans Heads.

Rodda may be from Evans but he learnt his footy at good old Ippy Grammar.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
I will be very interested to see the 23 selected for the Brumbies game. Do we see George Smith, is Perese ready, what about Tui?

The young guns have been fantastic and no one deserves to be dropped from the 23. A good 15 if all are available might be:

Slipper, BPA, Tupou, Rodda, Douglas, Higgers, Smith, Timu, Tuttle, Lance, Peresi, Kerevi, CFS, Daugunu, Toua. Not bad really.

A Smith brother. Fa’agase, Ready, Tui, Korczyk, Stewart, Lucas and Paia’aua to round out the squad.

Good looking squad really and Reds depth in the forwards highlighted by the guys I haven’t mentioned.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I will be very interested to see the 23 selected for the Brumbies game. Do we see George Smith, is Perese ready, what about Tui?

The young guns have been fantastic and no one deserves to be dropped from the 23. A good 15 if all are available might be:

Slipper, BPA, Tupou, Rodda, Douglas, Higgers, Smith, Timu, Tuttle, Lance, Peresi, Kerevi, CFS, Daugunu, Toua. Not bad really.

A Smith brother. Fa’agase, Ready, Tui, Korczyk, Stewart, Lucas and Paia’aua to round out the squad.

Good looking squad really and Reds depth in the forwards highlighted by the guys I haven’t mentioned.

I would actually consider starting Smith in front of Slipper, I think our scrum has dominated more immediately after this substitution this season.

If we can destroy the Brumbies forwards at the start of the game then we will win.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought Slipper struggled in the first two games, but had been very good the last 2.

JP has been pretty good too, but I wouldn’t have him in front of Slipper personally.

Edit: also, I think McDermott should be on the bench in front of Lucas. I think we lose too much with Lucas’ passing.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
If it were a 6/2 bench then maybe Lucas (for his versatility) and Stewart as the backs, and one of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wright on the bench. The game will be won and lost in the forwards.

If Perese is not ready Then Paia’aua at 12, CFS to the wing.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Problem is, IMO, Lucas’ passing from the ruck killed too much of our attack in the last game which negates any benefit of having the extra forward.

Possibly harsh on a limited sample size. I am a fan of Lucas - just not at half. I also think with Smith, Higgers & Timu in the backrow I wouldn’t be in a hurry to replace 2 of them.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I thought Slipper struggled in the first two games, but had been very good the last 2.

JP has been pretty good too, but I wouldn’t have him in front of Slipper personally.

Edit: also, I think McDermott should be on the bench in front of Lucas. I th No we lose too much with Lucas’ passing.

Slipper hasn't been awesome in the scrum (but he's probably as good as Tupou at scrum time), but he's been soo good around the park!

Problem is, IMO, Lucas’ passing from the ruck killed too much of our attack in the last game which negates any benefit of having the extra forward.

Possibly harsh on a limited sample size. I am a fan of Lucas - just not at half. I also think with Smith, Higgers & Timu in the backrow I wouldn’t be in a hurry to replace 2 of them.

You are probably playing Tuttle 70+ minutes anyway, so he can probably do it. Also you've got George Smith (I would have coming off the bench at least for now) -- he can play halfback! :p

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
From memory, Thorn has been changing the half with 20-25 to go. In any case, I still don’t think you carry two back up back rowers, even if only two of Smith, Higgers & Timu start.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
?? Why do you say that?

His return from injury has been followed by scrum performances we had no right to anticipate.

Nah, he's not been AWESOME, he's been good, for him he's been outstanding, but he's far from the best scrummagers in the game.

So interesting question, with Pocock lurking for the Brumbies does that change who we pick at 7 -- how do we deal with him around the breakdown.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Same as his general form I thought Slipper was a bit average at scrum time for the first two games and there was a noticeable improvement when JP came on. I though Slipper was fine the last two. The Stormers game was a bit hard to judge because of the issues Tupou was having.

Status
Not open for further replies.