• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What happened to him? He started IIRC in that surprise thumping of the Highlanders a few years ago went alright, but now seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. (From a reds squad perspective)

I have no idea. But I tuned into Uni Easts (as a wanabe easts supporter) and just thought he was head and shoulders above 29 other players. Easts THP (think tight head) also worth noting.

T

TOCC

Quade is off to New Zealand this week and has taken a decent amount of luggage with, strange considering Souths are playing their first game this weekend. He either packs heavy for short trips, or something has popped up in New Zealand for him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quade is off to New Zealand this week and has taken a decent amount of luggage with, strange considering Souths are playing their first game this weekend. He either packs heavy for short trips, or something has popped up in New Zealand for him.

Is QPR playing this weekend? I see Round 2 as 7.4.18.

edit: btw where the fuck do you get your info from? "Too much luggage" to suit your tastes?

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...save=1&gradeid=17757_1&entityid=53087&id=DRAW

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Went from Posonby (near Auckland) to Raglan (near Hamilton) to Queenstown.

Appears to be a holiday.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Bulk of the luggage might be Laura's or he could be carrying gifts back for family. Either way it's his 30th birthday next week, the trip is probably for that.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

No games until next month.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Do we have confirmation as yet the Smith & Perese are back fit and available for selection?

Thorn has some interesting choices to make. The young brigade have served him well, but Smith is another level (plus he has acknowledged the need to manage their work loads). You’d imagine he’ll bring Tui straight back onto the bench. I reckon he’ll probably bring Perese back via the bench too. I’d like to see Stewart get a start at some point - although maybe against the Chiefs isn’t the one.

The other question mark is what to do with the centres? I reckon there must be a fair temptation to revert to CFS & Kerevi - but I’d like to see Paia’aua given some time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep my mistake didn’t realise it was a bye round this weekend

To be fair it is still odd to be taking a break from training one week into the season and before the first game.

What is a normal training regime in QPR? Is it pretty much daily?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I like the idea of Stewart at 12. Gives him game time at Super level with a little less pressure of running the backline. Also he can switch around with Lance to change things up. Plenty of quality 10 have done an apprenticeship at 12 in the past.

On the Gale issue I think he will be lost OS again. He should be in the Reds in the 23 but they have too many 9's currently. I think all the other teams are happy with their 9 depth.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I like the idea of Stewart at 12. Gives him game time at Super level with a little less pressure of running the backline. Also he can switch around with Lance to change things up. Plenty of quality 10 have done an apprenticeship at 12 in the past.

Yeah, I really don't think that's going to work too well, Paia'aua, Beale, Godwin; these guys are never going to be a first choice fly halves again -- because they spent too much time at 12. It's really really hard to take that step in. Going out isn't too hard but coming back in is.

I think if we start Stewart anywhere other than 10 it's gotta be 15. I am all for Lance being on the field with Stewart, I think that'll be a really good thing (although would have loved for it to be Quade) but I think Stewart needs to be in that playmaking role if you put him in at 12 with Lance at 10 Stewart will be nothing more than a crash ball 12... and we already have Kerevi on our side and we don't need some kind of weird crash ball 10 monstrosity next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be fair it is still odd to be taking a break from training one week into the season and before the first game.

What is a normal training regime in QPR? Is it pretty much daily?

QPR is basically amateur. Training would be 2 (maybe 3??) nights max.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah, I really don't think that's going to work too well, Paia'aua, Beale, Godwin; these guys are never going to be a first choice fly halves again -- because they spent too much time at 12. It's really really hard to take that step in. Going out isn't too hard but coming back in is.

I think if we start Stewart anywhere other than 10 it's gotta be 15. I am all for Lance being on the field with Stewart, I think that'll be a really good thing (although would have loved for it to be Quade) but I think Stewart needs to be in that playmaking role if you put him in at 12 with Lance at 10 Stewart will be nothing more than a crash ball 12. and we already have Kerevi on our side and we don't need some kind of weird crash ball 10 monstrosity next year.

Carter, Lynagh, Barnes, Cooper all spent time at 12 early in their careers and were 10's. I would argue time at 15 has more of an impact on their future at 10, look at DMac.

No chance of him being a crash ball 12 with Kerevi outside him and CFS on a wing, plus Tupou and Timu crash it up in the backs of lineouts.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Carter, Lynagh, Barnes, Cooper all spent time at 12 early in their careers and were 10's. I would argue time at 15 has more of an impact on their future at 10, look at DMac.

No chance of him being a crash ball 12 with Kerevi outside him and CFS on a wing, plus Tupou and Timu crash it up in the backs of lineouts.

I disagree that he'd not turn into a crash ball center, look at how Paia'aua is playing with Lance at 10, he's being forced to play like a crash ball center. This is because Lance doesn't create that space like a Quade would and doesn't threaten the like a Foley, that's okay for some teams, like when we play Kerevi at 12. I feel like if we play Stewart at 12 outside of Lance he'll have no choice but to play crash ball rugby because he won't be getting the ball with space or time. The concerning thing is Stewart can play like that and could be quite effective at it, but we don't want to be forcing him into that role at this point -- wait until we know he can't do those other things before we limit his game.

I do accept there are players who have made the transition from 12 to 10, but it's more that they were always going to play 10 just to get on the field they were playing 12 or it was as a duel playmaking role. If we were to play Stewart at 12 it couldn't be as a second playmaker -- we've seen how that works with Paia'aua. Stewart and Paia'aua at 12 would need to be catching the ball with time and space otherwise they are wasted. Lance really needs to be either a conduit to the players hitting it up, or the team needs to have the 9 doing the playmaking (like Genia at the Rebels).

Regarding 15 being a stunt to player development, I don't entirely disagree, I think though that's only really an issue if it's long term time at 15 without stepping into that 10 role, or when it's the ball-running/knifing 15. If Stewart were to play at 10 he'd more than likely be interchangeable with Lance at 10 Stewart would be doing some of the playmaking and would be likely shifting to 10 if/when Lance comes off.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there is a difference between 'being a crash baller' and playing into contact. All 12s in the modern day have to have a physical aspect to their game because that is the nature of defense.

Paia'aua isn't becoming a crash baller. He is playing 12. That's the game.

Stewart is as physical as they come and would be a very capable 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.