• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Surely professional players know not to lift with something that is hurting?? I would think someone as passionate about fitness as Thorn would know as much as any S&C coach employed by the Reds. This is a person who has had 23 years + of professional training - and by the fact he played into his 40's can clearly look after himself. I think him doing that is worth more for the culture than about anything. Probably the reason there was no fade on Friday night. He is riding the wave!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
admirable that he is involved but is he actually qualified? Does he possess the knowledge and skills to alter weights sessions to each player inclusive of any niggles that they have or have recieved on the weekend?

I am all for hard work but worry about injuries down the track

There’s a proper S&C team at the Reds. They’re managing it. Brad just shifted some tin.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
admirable that he is involved but is he actually qualified? Does he possess the knowledge and skills to alter weights sessions to each player inclusive of any niggles that they have or have recieved on the weekend?

I am all for hard work but worry about injuries down the track

o_O

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There’s a proper S&C team at the Reds. They’re managing it. Brad just shifted some tin.

You can imagine Thorn just doing a shift with the team would have changed the attitude in the gym, less joking around, more getting stuck in, more focus

T

TOCC

For a older, more experienced team players probably wouldn’t care if their coach came in and ran a S&C session, some would probably consider it a hindrance more then beneficial. But, I think given how young the Reds squad is, having their coach come in and hold up some benchmarks could be quite helpful for setting the standard for the younger players.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
For a older, more experienced team players probably wouldn’t care if their coach came in and ran a S&C session, some would probably consider it a hindrance more then beneficial. But, I think given how young the Reds squad is, having their coach come in and hold up some benchmarks could be quite helpful for setting the standard for the younger players.

Most coaches don;t look like they can lift more than their players - Brad does, so the players wouldn't want to be shamed by being bettered by their coach in the gym! Got to be a bit of motivation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It's the same premise as Cheika running up the Coogee stairs or Moore Park hill with the Tahs or Wallabies.

The younger players in particular see their coach hurting alongside them and it motivates them to go harder and push through the pain.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Seems like Thorn read the same coaching manual as Craig Bellamy - seems to work for his boys.

"CRAIG Bellamy’s day starts before dawn. When most Melbourne Storm players are still asleep, their 57-year-old coach is in the gym.
At 5am six days a week, the NRL’s most esteemed coach — in his 15th season at Storm — can be found working out at AAMI Park. On the seventh day he skips the weight room and goes for a two-hour walk.
“He’s religious about it,” club great Robbie Kearns said.
“The young kids sometimes try to impress the coaching staff by getting into the gym a bit early, but Craig has always already been and gone.”
Work ethic has been a constant throughout Bellamy’s life and he preaches it to his players. He wants them to work hard and — always — to be respectful and humble.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It's just about inclusiveness. Players see the Coach doing some hard work ALONGside of them.

Nothing negative here, only positives

This is why I think at this stage (while some of us won't like it) Thorn is the ideal type of coach for the Reds, even if he turns out to be an awful coach (not saying he is or isn't, just that we don't know yet). At a minimum what you know you are going to get from Thorn is a team who are in excellent physical condition and with so many young players that physical development can really make or break a career.

If Thorn turns out to be an idiot coach, we haven't really lost anything because we were going to be pretty average anyway, if he turns out to be an idiot savant coach we'll probably walk away with a permeriship. If he turns out to be a good coach but not a great coach then we'll all be happy. (PS, I don't actually think Thorn is an idiot but I felt they were nice poetic ends of the spectrum.)

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it (I even might have) but at the end of his press conference after the game, Thorn talked about wanting to try Kerevi+CFS in the centers. So perhaps we could see Paia'aua being looked at for 10 or something.

What do people make of Nabuli's season thus far, he's gotta be close to being moved to the bench, if nothing else he's been the weakest in a position where we actually have some deepth?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it (I even might have) but at the end of his press conference after the game, Thorn talked about wanting to try Kerevi+CFS in the centers. So perhaps we could see Paia'aua being looked at for 10 or something.

What do people make of Nabuli's season thus far, he's gotta be close to being moved to the bench, if nothing else he's been the weakest in a position where we actually have some deepth?
I have not been impressed with Nabuli much at all. Doesn't seem to position himself well, for a big man he is brought down easily, and doesn't seem hungry to chase the ball - example on Friday night I watched him 'chasing a kick' and he just jogged and then stopped before the Brumbies player caught it - if he had run hard he would at least have pressured the catcher, and even maybe tackled him. Perese I think would have been in the face of the catcher, he has that hunger. While Perese is injured at the moment I think we should play Daugunu there.

Not sure about the idea of Duncan P at 10 - others more knowledgeable than me could advise but I don't recall him being great at 10, however I do think he is very good at 12. I would like to see Stewart get on the field - surprised he didn't come on last week when Duncan went off but Daugunu must have more versatility than I realised.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Perese I think would have been in the face of the catcher, he has that hunger. While Perese is injured at the moment I think we should play Daugunu there.

Yeah, Perese really grew up after that U20WC, he has cut out a lot of those bone headed things he has a tendency to do, and would really put guys away on the chase. I think for him it was largely just having that responsibility and gaining the confidence really did him wonders! He's so close to a Wallabies Jersey, but he might need an injury or two to get a look in. Also before his injury there was talk of him being played at 15, that I think could be a really good move for him; he's too skilled to be 'just a winger' but could end up being a little like James O'Connor was at Toulon.

Not sure about the idea of Duncan P at 10 - others more knowledgeable than me could advise but I don't recall him being great at 10, however I do think he is very good at 12.

Yeah, Paia'aua did play 10 when he was younger, and Chikea apparently really likes him at 10, but I agree 100% that Paia'aua is best at 12. I actually think on his night Paia'aua can go toe to toe with Beale; while he's not got that playmaking of Beale he makes up for it by actually playing defence (coving for Quade and controlling the defensive line all last season) and isn't bad as a playmaker. I think you could play Paia'aua at 10 but I think you'd need Tuttle to take a really big step up and play more like Genia is at the moment and take on some of that playmaking load. But I do think a backline something like Tuttle, Paia'aua, Toua, Kerevi, CFS, Daugunu Lance could be really fucking scary!

I would like to see Stewart get on the field - surprised he didn't come on last week when Duncan went off but Daugunu must have more versatility than I realised.

Daugunu I think has so much more to his game that we have seen, the trouble is in the NRC whenever he touched the ball he would make a break or an offload or do something amazing there wasn't any scope for him to show what he can really do (not a bad problem to have). Also Thorn said this was to shuffle the backline to have Kerevi at 12, CFS at 13 and Daugunu on the wing.
But you're right, I too would rather have seen Stewart get on the field for Paia'aua than Daugunu. Although Thorn did say he's been disappointed he hasn't managed to get Stewart any game time yet.[/quote]

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Im sure the Head of Performance, trainers and medical staff still do their job - if coaches ignore medical staff then they get in big trouble and expose themselves to all sorts of issues re liability. I'm sure Thorn just gets involved and sets a standard

T

TOCC

Daugunu is still learning the technicalities of the game, give him a few weeks to find his feet at this level.. but he hasn’t looked out of place which is the important thing

Ben Lucas is back and fit, could be a chance for selection this week

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Seems like Thorn read the same coaching manual as Craig Bellamy - seems to work for his boys.

"CRAIG Bellamy’s day starts before dawn. When most Melbourne Storm players are still asleep, their 57-year-old coach is in the gym.
At 5am six days a week, the NRL’s most esteemed coach — in his 15th season at Storm — can be found working out at AAMI Park. On the seventh day he skips the weight room and goes for a two-hour walk.
“He’s religious about it,” club great Robbie Kearns said.
“The young kids sometimes try to impress the coaching staff by getting into the gym a bit early, but Craig has always already been and gone.”
Work ethic has been a constant throughout Bellamy’s life and he preaches it to his players. He wants them to work hard and — always — to be respectful and humble.
I think the Storm at one stage worked 9am to 5pm. The players were expected to ttreat training and video sessions like a job, they also dont seem to have much off field issues as they are ultra-professional.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
sorry trying to answer my own question.

Family moved here at the end of 2010, he was contracted to the Brumbies from QLD in 2013. Made his debut for them in 2014. Moved back to SAF in 2015.

But does that 3 years in Oz make him eligible for selection>?

Status
Not open for further replies.