• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Is the trial game streamed? Anyone going to watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
from another Thorn interview
The Broncos were bottom of the ladder with just one win after the first 10 rounds, but rebounded to win their next 11 in a row to reach the finals.
"We got kicked straight out of the finals but people don't talk to you about that when they talk about the great moments," Thorn said.
"That was when you had the fight in front of you.
"People talk about the finals we won but a lot of times I loved it (when) things weren't going your way and you just had to stick together.
"Those are the times you cherish - they're just as big to me in my memory."
Thorn also enjoyed big form turnarounds with the Highlanders in 2013-14 and, as a coach, turned easybeats Queensland Country into NRC champions.
He has designs on doing the same with the Reds, who haven't reached the Super Rugby finals for four years.
"I don't want to be a guy that's talking a whole heap about that," Thorn said.
"I'm not a great orator or a massive talker about stuff - I prefer action, so we'll see how we go."
Thorn said he had absorbed plenty of coaching lessons from Wayne Bennett, Robbie Deans, Steve Hansen and Sir Graham Henry.
"I'm probably a pretty doughy guy but I did listen and learn and watch coaches, players, experienced stuff myself," he said.
"If you don't care about your mates or who you're representing, if you don't have that stubborn drive to just want to (do) whatever it takes to get the job done ... that's the sort of stuff that brings your footy stuff to life."

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I actually think he was trying to avoid the issue / steer around saying the real reasons. It's clear in every other interview he gives he's pretty good, a little Darren Lockyer, but decent. This one he doesn't know what to say, likely because in all his other interviews he's fairly free to say what he thinks but here he isn't. If that's "I just don't like Quade' or "Quade said fuck you if I'm not starting" I don't know; it could even be something else entirely. I think he's likely avoiding something here.
There was much more not said than said in that painful interview. Squirming and trying to not answer. The worst part of all this is how am I going to explain to my 10 year old son that his favourite player and the only reason he watched the Reds won't be playing for them anymore because the coach doesn't like him...

Shame I'm not living in Brissy anymore otherwise I'd take him down to Ballymore and get Brad to explain it directly to my son...

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Reg can't it be that BT just prefers consistency over hot and cold. If you have a v. young backline you can't have a 10 whose plan b is a Crossfield kick. You also need a strong defender as the (likely) 13 is a bit suspect.

I think the decision would have been made regardless of personalities/egos etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The average age of the Hurricanes back line is around 24 years old..

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not sure what the point is?is that similar to the reds. Who is their 10?

I'm saying that ruling out things like crossfield kicks because you have a young backline doesn't make sense when the backline that's the best in the world at it is composed majorly of young players. If it's to be avoided because the players aren't good enough to execute, that's a different discussion.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm saying that ruling out things like crossfield kicks because you have a young backline doesn't make sense when the backline that's the best in the world at it is composed majorly of young players. If it's to be avoided because the players aren't good enough to execute, that's a different discussion.
I'm ruling out low percentage plays with a young backline when the execution is poor. The difference in your example is Barrett (IIRC) is not QC (Quade Cooper). If we had Barrett go for gold. QC (Quade Cooper) in 2018 is not Barrett.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The interview with Thorn makes it clearer to me that the reasons stated (defence, game management etc last year) aren't the reason Quade got axed. It seems to me that it's a more personal issue. I'm really guessing now but I imagine Thorn just doesn't like him and doesn't feel like he can work with him. If that's the case, fine, just be up front about it and own your decision.

All well and good to make the tough decisions to stamp your authority on the group but when your mantra is working hard for each other then to be trotting out some BS about one of the most popular players in the group probably isn't going to end well

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone going out to Ballymore tonight? I was all set to go but lost interest due to the drizzly rain and the awesome Davis Cup on the TV.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone got the lineups from the trial game?

Crowed looks really impressive!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The lineups as best I can tell, probably a number of mistakes.

Red

1 James slipper
2 Amosa
4 Tui
5 Douglas
6 Caleb Timu
7 Korczyk
8 Higginbotham
9 Tuttle
10 Stewart
11 Peresi
12 Samu Kerevi

White
3 Tupou
9 Moses
12 Paia'aua

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone got the lineups from the trial game?

Crowed looks really impressive!

Thanks @samphillips06
835f0b6a20a47f8d5a5297b3f6ccb035.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Sooo does Khunt come back into 15 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well honestly could play pretty much anywhere from 10 to 15. But no idea, he's still got two charges pending against him (possession of xanax, failing to give fingerprints).

Status
Not open for further replies.