• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

At least the colours match

35087b3109e8ae01160d2ab101ee1bc2.jpg

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It would appear to be a simple case of a coach not rating a player. Not the first time. Cheika didn't rate him either. I don't understand all the arms in the air.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I don't know if it's as simple as the coach thinks he's no good. Quade and Foley are the best two Aussie flyhaves (the distance separating them is debatable), then daylight, a country mile, then the rest. I am fairly sure that's fairly universally agreed.

I think the best justification is that Quade doesn't fit in the scheme Thorn is wanting to run. And Thorn doesn't rate him.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do wonder what else Thorn was supposed to do

He is there, and paid to, make the tough decisions.

And he actually covered for him quite well

I am amazed that Cooper is still hanging around, it is pretty clear he won't be playing without something utterly horrible happening

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Cooper made it pretty clear he wanted to live near his family. He has two years left on his contract. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I do wonder what else Thorn was supposed to do

He is there, and paid to, make the tough decisions.

And he actually covered for him quite well

I am amazed that Cooper is still hanging around, it is pretty clear he won't be playing without something utterly horrible happening

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What is it you propose Quade does?

He was released so late in the season that all Super Rugby clubs have locked in their rosters for 2018.

Likewise with the European clubs, he could have earned a spot as a medical joker, but again it was late in the season and he also stated he preferred to be near his family when he returned last year. So it’s not exactly a desirable option.

All this has snowballed from the QRU taking their sweet ass time in announcing who the coach for 2018 would be, then Brad took another 2 months to inform Quade that he wasn’t part of his plans for 2018. Let’s not forget that Quade turned up to pre-season at the start of December thinking he had a role to play in 2018.

It’s a case of poor management no matter how you paint it.. I like the Reds, but I hope Quade just plays club rugby in 2018 And takes home the full $800k.

My recommendation for him would be to then find an ITM Cup team for seasons end and earn a new contract somewhere off the back of that.

T

TOCC

Smith has been released from his Suntory contract.

Should make him available for the NRC ;)

This could be Smiths last year of professional rugby then.. can’t see him heading back to Europe, and I think it’s his last year with the Reds. Another Japanese teams is unlikely to pick him up.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Want to clear up some misconceptions you have. There are no old stars playing Rugby. If you're good enough you're good enough and the other guy needs to be better than you to get your spot. End of story regardless of age. You never build a new team. It's an evolution brought on by competition for spots. We didn't have the best forward pack last year. That was clearly the Brumbies in our conference. We did have, at times, the best scrum but that's about it.

Exactly right. Example: Wright should play 7, when he is better then G.Smith. He shouldn't be playing 7 over G.Smith purely because he will one day be better or one day be the only option etc. When he is the better player (or the only player), then he starts.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Exactly right. Example: Wright should play 7, when he is better then G.Smith. He shouldn't be playing 7 over G.Smith purely because he will one day be better or one day be the only option etc. When he is the better player (or the only player), then he starts.
How about he starts until George is fit!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It would appear to be a simple case of a coach not rating a player. Not the first time. Cheika didn't rate him either. I don't understand all the arms in the air.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quade certainly has his liabilities - always has.
I’d accept that explanation if he was just relegating him to the pines.
But all the way back to club rugby - whilst trumpeting Lucas and Lance as examples of our depth at 10??
It just doesn’t ring true.
It might be part of the reason, but there’s more to it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gunn has good moments in the Nrc. Wouldn’t write him off.

Nearly though - close thing I believe. Has had opportunities to shine and he has been around for awhile now. Wright is the heir apparent to the 7 spot and I reckon by a considerable margin.

T

TOCC

Based on NRC form, Gunn played better then Wright in 2017 IMO. Wright would appear to have far more potential and may be the long term successor, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gunn start the season, his game really improved in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade certainly has his liabilities - always has.
I’d accept that explanation if he was just relegating him to the pines.
But all the way back to club rugby - whilst trumpeting Lucas and Lance as examples of our depth at 10??
It just doesn’t ring true.
It might be part of the reason, but there’s more to it.

But I think Lucas and Lance (and possibly Stewart ) are all an upgrade on the 2017 version of Cooper. Cooper hasn't done a job at 10 since he went to France, we aren't talking about the same player who won a Super Rugby title

Status
Not open for further replies.