• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Interesting piece from Wayne Smith in the Australian, Higgers was the one who approached the Reds about returning last year, but at that point they had filled the roster and the only spot left was an ETS contract, so he agreed to play under that in 2017. Which would barley have been a $50k contract..

That’s one of the reasons Thorn is apparently considering him as captain for 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sure as shit are gonna have some money lying around with Hunt off and presumably QC (Quade Cooper) coming off the books in the coming months.. pay that man.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Sure as shit are gonna have some money lying around with Hunt off and presumably QC (Quade Cooper) coming off the books in the coming months.. pay that man.

While I do like Higgers, I don't know that he's worth to the Reds what he's worth. We genuinely have 5 other guys who could all be starting. Adam Korczyk, Angus Scott-Young, George Smith, Caleb Timu, Liam Wright -- all of these guys could start. Caleb Timu and Liam Wright particularly could be Wallabies by the end of the year!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Hesitant to get too high on the younger guys (particularly forwards) as they more often than not are not the superstars the QPR, NRC, or Schoolboy rugby has made them appear to be.

Higgers is a proven quantity and a bloody good one if he stays healthy.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Reds needs to move on and stop rely on "old stars" if they want to build the new team. I remind you that we had the best forward pack in 2017 comp (Smith, Tui and Higgers) but failed miserably. I expect major change on and off the field in 2018.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Higs was clearly one of our best last season. Clearly. Will be again this season. Rewatched the FIji test match. Completely outplayed Hanigan also.To suggest Korzyck, TImu and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are even near his level yet is folly. Folly I say.
Please don't think I'm saying those guys are anywhere near as good as Higgers (Smith and maybe Timu in time), he is genuinely one of the best players around Super Rugby at the moment. But the question must be what's he worth over a replacement, also considering his age and the likely dropoff with age.

I do really love Higgers, I was gutted and baffled when he wasn't included in the Wallabies Squad for the EOYT, but the reality is Higgers isn't in our long term planning.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
If every player selected was essential to long term planning, there would be no Super Rugby player over 28. Why is 2018 and 2019 less important then 2020 and 2021? Why should forwards at the peak of their powers at 30 be overlooked for teenagers because in 3 or 4 years time those teenagers may be ok.

I say when a player is no longer playing well enough to retain their starting position, they lose their starting position, then from the bench, then from the squad etc etc. At this stage, Higs is the best so he plays.

I do not see the sense in shafting one of our best players now, for someone who might be ok in 3 years time. Let's wait for the backup/apprentice to actually be better then the incumbent before replacing them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds needs to move on and stop rely on "old stars" if they want to build the new team. I remind you that we had the best forward pack in 2017 comp (Smith, Tui and Higgers) but failed miserably. I expect major change on and off the field in 2018.

what off-field change do you expect?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Want to clear up some misconceptions you have. There are no old stars playing Rugby. If you're good enough you're good enough and the other guy needs to be better than you to get your spot. End of story regardless of age. You never build a new team. It's an evolution brought on by competition for spots. We didn't have the best forward pack last year. That was clearly the Brumbies in our conference. We did have, at times, the best scrum but that's about it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
QRU Media Release: Scott Higginbotham named St.George Queensland Reds captain for 2018 season

Queensland Rugby Union today announced Scott Higginbotham will captain the St.George Queensland Reds for the 2018 Vodafone Super Rugby season.

The 31-year-old will be the 117th captain to lead Queensland in its 136 years of representative Rugby.

Higginbotham is one of the most experienced members of the current squad, having played 123 Super Rugby games and 34 Tests for Australia. He is also the most prolific try-scoring forward in Super Rugby history.

Higginbotham said he was honoured to take on the role.

“I'm very honoured to captain the Reds. Being appointed to this position by someone such as Brad means a great deal to me,” Higginbotham said.

“It's great to lead such a young, exciting and positive bunch of blokes. I’ve had the privilege of being captain of another Super Rugby team, and that experience will help me now.

“I’m also privileged to have the support of other strong leaders in the team, like Samu (Kerevi) and James (Slipper) who have done the role previously. That is only going to strengthen our side.”

Thorn said Higginbotham was a player who would galvanise the group through his actions.

“Scott is a player who leads by example. He’s a humble guy who works hard and strives to get the best out of himself and everyone around him,” Thorn said.

“He has experienced success at the Reds previously, but returned to Ballymore ahead of the 2017 season because he felt he had something to contribute to Queensland’s future success and it’s clear to everyone how much he cares about this place.

“He’s also a smart Rugby player in good form and he has the respect of his teammates.

“It’s also important to acknowledge the good work done by James (Slipper) as captain over the last three years and Samu (Kerevi) in the role of stand-in captain last season. They’re still leaders within the group and will provide plenty of support to Scott.”

Higginbotham made his debut for Queensland in 2008 and went on to play 65 games for Queensland, including a key role in the side’s Super Rugby triumph in 2011.

The 2018 season will be Higginbotham’s second since returning to Queensland, after three seasons with the Melbourne Rebels, including two as captain, and two in Japan’s Top League. He returned to Ballymore briefly during this period to contribute to McInnes Wilson Lawyers Brisbane City in their undefeated run at the National Rugby Championship title in 2015.

The Reds’ will play the first of three pre-season fixtures this Friday 2 February with an intra-squad opposed training session at Ballymore Stadium at 5:15pm, as part of the annual St.George Twilight Fan Day.

Scott Higginbotham
Position: Back row
Height: 195cm
Weight: 113kg
DOB: 05/09/1986
POB: Perth, WA
School: The Southport School
Club: Wests
Representative honours: Australian Sevens (2007-2008), Queensland (2008-2012, 2017-), Australian Wallabies (2010-), Rugby World Cup (2011), Brisbane City (2015)
Queensland Representative Number: 1220
Queensland/Super Rugby debut: 2008 v Bulls, Suncorp Stadium
Queensland caps: 78
Queensland points: 105 (21T)
Super Rugby caps: 123 (78 Reds, 45 Rebels)
Super Rugby points: 180 (36T)
Test debut: 2010 v France, Stade de France
Test caps: 34
Test points: 15 (3T)

duckbill

Ward Prentice (10)
So now Quade is being scapegoated for last year, and there is depth at 10 now because of last minute signings...

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me, why doesn't he just come clean and tell the truth...
141fa021e653fa75bd74341b96f7184e.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems pretty clear that Thorn stated exactly what he thinks about Cooper's play now.

Needless to say, I don't think their relationship will be getting any friendlier following that statement.

duckbill

Ward Prentice (10)
It pretty much confirms that Quade won't be seen in Red again whilst Thorn is coach and he is trotting out late excuses to justify his decision. The scramble to recruit last minute cover and the total lack of any justification to date is even more irritating. Poor treatment for a longtime faithful servant, I hope Quade finds a good gig as the Reds without him just won't be the same for me. He was one of the main reasons I followed them...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree it is poor treatment of a long time faithful servant of the Reds, but isn't the fact that Thorn decided Cooper wasn't going to be his 10 this season, went and recruited other players to fill that gap and has now stated that he doesn't rate Cooper's ability to play at this level any more all confirmation that this was a pretty considered decision?

It would seem the definitive statements have come out now because recruitment of Lance and Lucas has meant that Thorn doesn't have to backtrack on his earlier decision to axe Cooper.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree it is poor treatment of a long time faithful servant of the Reds, but isn't the fact that Thorn decided Cooper wasn't going to be his 10 this season, went and recruited other players to fill that gap and has now stated that he doesn't rate Cooper's ability to play at this level any more all confirmation that this was a pretty considered decision?

It would seem the definitive statements have come out now because recruitment of Lance and Lucas has meant that Thorn doesn't have to backtrack on his earlier decision to axe Cooper.
It would appear to be a simple case of a coach not rating a player. Not the first time. Cheika didn't rate him either. I don't understand all the arms in the air.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.