• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Wing, 13 requires size and/or speed, neither of which Lucas really has..

10,12,15 are about playmaking ability and tactical kicking.. which is where Lucas’s skill sets lay.

Did you forget about Bryan Habana (94kg)? I'd also point out James O'Connor (88kg) has been very successful on the wing in the Top 14. I do agree current logic favours size on the wing, but perhaps that would also mean that a player who can counter that size with speed and acceleration. Plus we are talking about him coming off the bench with tired legs and big bodies, the more I think about it the more I think it *could* be viable (it *could* also be a train wreck).

T

TOCC

Did you forget about Bryan Habana (94kg)? I'd also point out James O'Connor (88kg) has been very successful on the wing in the Top 14. I do agree current logic favours size on the wing, but perhaps that would also mean that a player who can counter that size with speed and acceleration.

Yes, that’s why I said wing requires speed and/or size.. You either need to be big or fast, or a fine balance of the two. I don’t think Lucas fits that threshold...

worst case scenario in the event of an injury he could come off the bench and play wing, but that’s the only time I see him doing so.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thorn essentially cut Cooper before he knew for sure that Melbourne would release Lance. I assume when he did he was to gambling on whether he’d pick up a starting 10.

If be pretty sure Stewart will be the starting 10.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Lance will start the season at 10.

Stewart was going to be the starter (until Jonno was signed). Having said that I reckon Stewart will start some games and Jonno will give great bench options when that occurs (covers 10, 12, 15).

This will be a brilliant season for Stewart (experience wise) and he will be the definite starter next year when Lance returns to England.

He seems to be a level headed kid, prepared to work hard/

I hope he takes full advantage

T

TOCC

Stewart still qualifies for the U20s doesn’t he? The addition of Lucas and Lance should allow him to go play the JWC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Stewart still qualifies for the U20s doesn’t he? The addition of Lucas and Lance should allow him to go play the JWC

History suggests Stewart will get a good load of time at 10 when Lance gets one of his usual injuries. Lance is a good player, but hasn't played much over the last few seasons.

T

TOCC

History suggests Stewart will get a good load of time at 10 when Lance gets one of his usual injuries. Lance is a good player, but hasn't played much over the last few seasons.

Risk of injury to Lance shouldn’t be a reason not to let him play the JWC, if Stewart is riding the pine and you have someone like Lucas who can fill a similar role, then he should be released to play the JWC IMO.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Risk of injury to Lance shouldn’t be a reason not to let him play the JWC, if Stewart is riding the pine and you have someone like Lucas who can fill a similar role, then he should be released to play the JWC IMO.

"If" he is riding the pine, I expect he will start a load of matches

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Lance will start the season at 10.

Stewart was going to be the starter (until Jonno was signed).

There is no doubt that Lance goes a long way - gives Stewart a chance to ease into to the role, and provides the squad an experienced head.

Good purchase, whoever was behind it, and a break for Brad.

The perennial issue for Red fans - at what point do we start getting hopeful? The famed "Brad technique" that is meant to provide tough nuts with attitude, sounds like a reasonable start to a rebuild - if indeed he has translated on-field capability into Super Rugby coaching capability.

I don't really see Reds fans being satisfied en mass with that though. So given that "bling" seems to be relegated to clubland, (or the Valley), certainly to the outer, entertainment could come from strategy.

Anyone watching watching training close enough to hazard a guess at structure? We would presume a Cheika attack pattern of 1-4-4-1? But do we have 9 chasing the action, with 10 and 12 behind the pods with two back lines ala WBs?

Interesting if some movement between 10/12 can happen (is DP mature enough at this stage to lead it?) Or possibly 12/13 if Kerevi can start to fulfill our broader expectations.

I preume that the backline structure won't change on turnover, the "Brad ethic" expecting each bloke to man up in his position as stated on his jersey.

Kicking is the other issue - did I see an earlier suggestion that we could be thumping the leather off the Gilbert? IF so who is this kicker? I am presuming for now that Lucas is the bench utility.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

If he is a part of the matchday 23 and paid as such his first priority should be to the Reds. JWC in the big scheme of things means little. It is a nice carnival to make as a player but probably playing Super rugby at a good level (and at an early age) probably is more important (certainly to the Employer paying the wages)

T

TOCC

If he is a part of the matchday 23 and paid as such his first priority should be to the Reds. JWC in the big scheme of things means little. It is a nice carnival to make as a player but probably playing Super rugby at a good level (and at an early age) probably is more important (certainly to the Employer paying the wages)

Rightly or wrongly ARU have said in the past that they don’t agree with this opinion.... and ultimately they pay the bills and set the rules

Besides, given the timeframe of the JWC lines up with the June Test series, he could get away with missing only one Super Rugby game. With that in mind, If he is only being used off the bench, then he should be released for the JWC.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I presume that the backline structure won't change on turnover, the Brad ethic; expecting each bloke to man up in his position as stated on his jersey.

Kicking is the other issue - did I see an earlier suggestion that we could be thumping the leather off the Gilbert? IF so who is this kicker? I am presuming for now that Lucas is the bench utility.

I suspect everyone in the back line will be expected to defend in their position; this is actually one of the bigger factors behind my expectation that Stewart will be the main flyhalf rather than Lance. I do think we'll see Lance insert himself form fullback, Stewart's defence will really be a difference maker in the question of who starts at 10 but I expect both of them to be in the match day XV.

As for kicking in play it should be Stewartas the primary kicking option he's always had tones of time with the ball in hand and exploits any gaps in the defence; in the JWC and during the NRC last year even with teams using a rush defence specifically aimed at disrupting him, he had the composure of a 30 year old fly half, he'll be fine at Super most weeks.

Other options for kicking in play would be Lance, Paia'aua, Perese and I suspect Daugunu (but he scored virtually every time he touched the ball so we didn't get to see much of it). Also Tuttle in a pinch.

As for goal kicking I would say Jimmy Tuttle is likely to take the kicks he's proven to be very accurate over the last few years, but Daugunu is another 70% kicker, and Stewart can kick a goal or two (but hasn't in a while because he's been playing with other more gifted goal kickers (Godard, and Tuttle IIRC).

Finally regarding the JWC. While I would like to see Stewart get as much game time with the Reds as he can (and maybe even force his way into the Wallabies Squad as the only genuine flyhalf not named Foley).

I do think the U20's RWC can be a really important tool for the development of some of these players. I think Perese is a shining example of the impact it can have on a player.

Before the JWC Perese was very erratic and raw. Some examples include just running into blokes who are in the air, and not putting away players on otherwise spectacular kick chases.

When he came back from the JWC he was a changed player. Those little things that he wasn't quite doing right (because he was still a boy) suddenly because he got to do them in games against other boys -- he's nailing them. He's putting guys away on kick chases and not making those boneheaded plays. I think a little bit of responsibility and letting a young player be a superstar (like Perese is) really goes a long long way.

I don't think too many of the same things apply to Stewart, but I do think there are a few aspects of his game that he could really improve if he had a few games against easier opposition, like he would get at the JWC.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...t/news-story/a078e7d03b44653b13fd0cbedc4add7c

George Smith Fined by the QRU, a short summary of events:

* Smith was allegedly involved in an incident on NYE where it is alleged he pushed a taxi driver and attempted to avoid paying a taxi fare.
* Smith was held in police detention for 18 days following the NYE incident.
* Smith was subsequently released without charge and given a letter stating he has no case to answer in Japan. (This is very strange as far as I'm aware.)
* Smith is being fined by the QRU for not reporting for training / injury rehabilitation for more than a week, without contact from the player or his management.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
This is bizarrre - held for 18 days then released with no case to answer??
Yeah, especially in Japan! They have like a 90% conviction rate. If the police arrest you, you are going to have bad time!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.