• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

We'll see the best of CFS in super rugby when one of the teams trots out rookies and semi-pros against the reds.

He's so lucky the QRU are dysfunctional.

Agree to disagree, IMO he was the best outside centre in the NRC this year... I really don't see any other alternatives to him from the QPR who have displayed better form at the QPR or NRC level.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Paia’aua isn’t a great defender, he has technical flaws in his tackling technique. Likewise with Nabuli. [...]
<p>Perese likes to go for the big hit occasionally as well, shoots out of the defensive line to take the man with the ball, but it can open gaps if he misses.</p>
<p>From what I saw of Stewart in the NRC, he has a very good tackling technique and attitude towards tackling. Goes low and puts his back into it.
</p>
<p><br /></p>

Yeah, fair point on Paia'aua, I think it comes from his playing league a few years ago. I agree with Perese, but I think it's largely a double edged sword and largely cancel out, plus his form after the U20RWC was outstanding, I genuinely can't recall another player who just 'grew up' after just one tournament, I think he's been playing out of his skill/age/whatever for so long that things just clicked after playing against people his own age/skill level. I don't have Nabuli in my 23 (unless injuries). But if those defencive issues are the worst of the issues for the Reds they are doing pretty bloodly well.

Is Nick Jooste a genuine chance of getting game time this year with the Reds? </p>
He was always pushed as a 10 with 15 cover, but maybe the Brumbies didn't see him come along enough at 10 to let him go?
I think we might see Jooste getting some bench time, I really like him but he's one of those guys who's yet to really grab hold of his opportunities and put in a big performance. Although he's probably due to step up and have a really good season.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can’t be bothered going back, but did someone say tackling with the shoulder is DP’s problem? Not sure if I got it wrong for 20years but someone hitting with the shoulder sounds ideal technique to me. There’s only two contact areas to tackle someone, shoulders or arms. Shoulders are walls, arms are turnstiles. You might be lining your body up wrong by not staying on the inside shoulder or where ever you are designated to be positioned but hitting with the shoulder is ideal form, it leads to less injuries and less tackles broken. It’s also generally a sign of attitude, shoulders are brave and committed, arms are fraught and scared.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Paia'aua is a lot better in defence than his stats show, he has a poor success rate but he had turnstyles on either side and most of his defence was covering for others.

Attitude has a lot to do with success, he will do alright as he seems to have a good winning attitude

T

TOCC

Can’t be bothered going back, but did someone say tackling with the shoulder is DP’s problem?.

No i didn’t say that... I said he has a problem of leading with the shoulder, which isn’t the same as tackling with your shoulder. Paia’aua was yellow carded 3 times in 2017 for shoulder charge offences, which is a result of him leading with his shoulder and not wrapping his arms around in time.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree to disagree, IMO he was the best outside centre in the NRC this year. I really don't see any other alternatives to him from the QPR who have displayed better form at the QPR or NRC level.

As you say, I’m happy to disagree but CFS has always shone at QPR and NRC levels but struggles at Super level. It doesn’t seem from a lack of ability though. It almost seems like unless it’s easy, his hearts just not in it. You can’t coach heart. Just my take though. I would love to be wrong.

T

TOCC

I suspect Magnay and CFS were vying for the same contract position, Magnay heading to Japan presented the opportunity to CFS to be retained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Spot on, ever since he was playing in High School he's kicked it way too much (causing many coaches to go bald!), I think bottom line is he doesn't like going into contact (what sane person doesn't!) and perhaps he over rates his kicking ability. He'll be a nice utility back playing 11, 14, and 15 but I don't see him starting unless there are injuries. He *might* get the go ahead over the unproven (at Super Rugby) Daugunu but I suspect after a spectacular NRC that won't be the case.

Aidan played 10 in year 12 and wasn't the key kicker, that was the fullback.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Paia'aua is a lot better in defence than his stats show, he has a poor success rate but he had turnstyles on either side and most of his defence was covering for others.

Attitude has a lot to do with success, he will do alright as he seems to have a good winning attitude

IMO Kerevi is the one who teams seem to target, Paia’aua seems to be ok without being great. However without a strong defensive presence at 13, he can be effected by it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
As you say, I’m happy to disagree but CFS has always shone at QPR and NRC levels but struggles at Super level. It doesn’t seem from a lack of ability though. It almost seems like unless it’s easy, his hearts just not in it. You can’t coach heart. Just my take though. I would love to be wrong.

Scoey, I saw a CFS I hadn't seen before but time will tell if he can maintain that in Super Rugby. But I'm hopeful.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
IMO Kerevi is the one who teams seem to target, Paia’aua seems to be ok without being great. However without a strong defensive presence at 13, he can be effected by it.

Most tackles DUncan is credited for missing he is turning and running backwards to be cover defence for either 10 or 13 missing tackles. He is quite good one on one and this is why I think he could be a very good 15, he obviously has the ability to lead as shown by being captain of QLD country. This indicates he could also direct the backs from 15. He can kick, not too much of a stretch to see him as a successful 15. Prior to the Hunt issue I would have swapped them both this season and I still think he should be there, the only issue now would be who plays 12 and I do not believe Kerevi has the skill set for Super Rugby or Tests at 12 for a permanent spot.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My first inclination is to want Paia’aua to stay at 12.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing Paia’aua at 15 with Kerevi at 12 & CFS at 13.

Kerevi has a range of things to work on in his game - whether at 12 or 13 - but there aren’t many players in Australian rugby with more upside potential. I expect Thorn’s coaching regime will be very much about ironing out basic deficiencies which could benefit Kerevi enormously.

CFS has underwhelmed. I too have concerns he has the stomach for the fight. But I liked the look of him in the NRC. If he can bring some confidence and gets a good run with injuries we may well see him deliver on some of the hype that was heaped on him early in his career. I do think his best shot is 13 though, not on the wing.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
My first inclination is to want Paia’aua to stay at 12.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing Paia’aua at 15 with Kerevi at 12 & CFS at 13.

Kerevi has a range of things to work on in his game - whether at 12 or 13 - but there aren’t many players in Australian rugby with more upside potential. I expect Thorn’s coaching regime will be very much about ironing out basic deficiencies which could benefit Kerevi enormously.

CFS has underwhelmed. I too have concerns he has the stomach for the fight. But I liked the look of him in the NRC. If he can bring some confidence and gets a good run with injuries we may well see him deliver on some of the hype that was heaped on him early in his career. I do think his best shot is 13 though, not on the wing.

IMO the 15 issue must be solved by one of the new players coming in.

Yeah, I am very strongly of the opinion that Paia'aua will very likely be a world class 12, but the more he's pushed into playing different positions the more his potential will be curtailed. To get the most out of him you've got to play him at 12.
He's good at 10, 13 or 15, if he's needed, but you won't get the most out of him there.

As for Kerevi, I think he might be a serviceable 12, if you accept that you aren't going to get much playmaking out of him. But for right now, I think he's a Super Rugby season away from that, plus it's much harder to move in than it is to move out.

As for CFS. I agree he's been very poor in the past, largely that's a symptom of being too as a kid, so he didn't learn a lot of those key skills that you are forced to use when you are challenged more. Then enter Super Rugby practically as a kid still, and he doesn't have those skills to fall back on and physically he's normal. I do think from watching his NRC form, those skills like footwork are now there.
Not sure if that means he'll be up to Super or not, but there is a reason to think he might have turned that form around.
I think given the depth the Reds have on the wings he's not going to be getting too many games on the wing unless it's as a sub or injury cover.

IMO the only time /reason I'd try the Kerevi / CFS centers is as a late game sub, or if Paia'aua is unavailable. But this side is so young in fine with them trying things. CFS can't start but I think some games of the bench are warranted and if he proves himself and/or Kerevi has a form slump.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Paia’aua should be 12 , nothing else - lad really looks very very promising.
Lance at 10 and Toua at 15.
Benny Lucas (after minor knee cleanout) will ride the pine covering 9, 10, 12 and 15, waiting for the start once an injury or 2 have kicked in.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Paia’aua should be 12 , nothing else - lad really looks very very promising.
Lance at 10 and Toua at 15.
Benny Lucas (after minor knee cleanout) will ride the pine covering 9, 10, 12 and 15, waiting for the start once an injury or 2 have kicked in.

Re Ben Lucas you missed 11 and 14... I really don't think you can start both Lance and Toua. You don't dump Quade Cooper for... Jono Lance; Hamish Stewart must be starting, at 10 or 15 is less clear. Maybe you could start Stewart at 15 with the view to moving him into 10 in time, but you'd be losing what is likely his best feature -- his front line defence Stewart had the most tackles in the whole NRC while playing 10, the kid has Brian Lima level defencive potential (relatively speaking for a fly half obviously).

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Just a minor thing but why do you suggest Ben could cover 11 and 14?

IIRC he played wing a few times in France. Plus his wikipedia page lists his usual positions as 'Scrum-Half, Fly-Half, Fullback, Winger, Center', also I'm not sure how you could justify playing him at 10, 12, and 15 and not consider playing him on the wing.

T

TOCC

IIRC he played wing a few times in France. Plus his wikipedia page lists his usual positions as 'Scrum-Half, Fly-Half, Fullback, Winger, Center', also I'm not sure how you could justify playing him at 10, 12, and 15 and not consider playing him on the wing.

Wing, 13 requires size and/or speed, neither of which Lucas really has..

10,12,15 are about playmaking ability and tactical kicking.. which is where Lucas’s skill sets lay.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
9. Tuttle 10. Lance 11. Perese 12. DP 13. Kerevi 14. Nabuli 15. Toua

21. Lucas (9/10/15) 22. Stewart (10/12/15) 23. Sautia (13/11/14)

That's our 'standard' starting squad with the bench being as utility as possible I'd imagine. Other guys like Sorovi and Daugano to absolutely get their fair share of chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.