• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really? That's quite impressive. some promising young players coming through which is good. I just had a look at their squad on the website - you'd think that they would have been able to get photos of their transferring players wearing a Brumbies jersey - looks funny to see Alcock and Godwin in Force jerseys and Saia in a Reds jersey, unless it is deliberate to show how they are recruiting from other Super Rugby sides?

I guess they haven't done the photoshoots for next year (hopefully with a better jersey?), but normally they just photoshop the jersey on them.............

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of course BH there is the nature of the player and then in complement there is the calibre of the player development systems, coaching quality and related structures and cultures. This combination, when sound, forges excellent player growth and enhanced skill over time, or the opposite can occur.

It is imperative to recall that the latter of these two dimensions went into virtual collapse at the Reds from late 2012/early 2013 to the present. What Reds' players can we point to that genuinely developed in this period? Perhaps Kerevi? Though plenty developed during the 2009-2012 period.

Sure, but I think it can be challenging working out how a good a player actually is.

You judge each guy coming through on how well they do in the under 20s and generally the best of those players get signed each year.

A few years down the track some of those Aus Under 20s players will be Super Rugby stars and others will be struggling for consistent game time.

For instance Jake McIntyre and Mack Mason were both the first choice 10 in their respective year in the under 20s. Now most people would probably choose Mason as the more talented of the two but it can certainly be a tough thing to predict particularly if it puts you in a situation where you can realistically only sign one.

I guess a really recent example is the Reds trying to work out who to keep out of young backrow options from Lolo Fakaosilea, Harley Fox, Angus Scott-Young, Adam Korczyk etc.

Regardless of the level of talent development you've still got the same situation to address of predicting who will ultimately be the best professional footballer once they mature.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
NRC form of a few players had me thinking this week of the youngsters in the Reds team; L.Tui, Rodda, A.Mafi, Korczyk, Gunn and Ready all signed for 3 year deals before some had even debutd at NRC level..

Perese, Paraka, Talakai were signed for 2 years with no more then 10 caps between them..

Whilst Korczk, Mafi and Gunn have been hampered by injury, the rest of those players have excelled at either at Super Rugby or NRC level.. I think the talent identification is there, and whilst locking down schoolboys for 3 years is a brave call I find it hard to argue against the ones they have signed.

I also think bringing back Caleb Timu will be a master stroke, it's just disappointing he didn't get to transition through the NRC
Apart from Ready, None of those you have mentioned have excelled at super rugby level.

History says you are wrong on the talent identification front OR the reds have historically been exceptionally bad at developing the talent further.

Apart from a small blip, we have been very poor.

We simply should be far better than what we have usually been, and we haven't.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ha! Good point.

I reckon it's been nixed. It really was a big JC thing and he's gone. Plus I don't know if the corporate team structure is there to get the value out of it they need.

Probably not a bad season to miss, although it will likely cost them money.

Was the Pilecki medal awarded this year?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I am feeling quite positive about the next crop of boom youngsters coming through the Reds ranks.

But I do temper that excitement a bit knowing the hype that was attached to guys like CFS, Toua & Browning and the failing of the Reds system to develop that talent to its potential.

Although, in the case of Browning I thought he was starting to really shine and, despite the quality of the guys we've picked up, I would have liked to have kept him.

Reactions: Tip

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I guess they haven't done the photoshoots for next year (hopefully with a better jersey?), but normally they just photoshop the jersey on them.....

Still no photoship was as bad as UJ Seuteni:
ulupano-seuteni-300.jpg

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Higgers return certainly makes the competition for backrow spots interesting. Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Higgers is great news not only for the Reds but for wallabies. Finally a reason not have Mumm on the spring tour.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Higgers won't be eligible till the end of the Japanese Season.

Deal needs to be 2 years long and even then they can play only after they return to Australia, the regular season doesn't stop till mid January.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Slipper 2. Moore/Ready 3. Talakai/Tupou 4. Simmoms 5. Douglas
6. Higganbotham 7. Smith 8. Houston 9. Frisby 10. Cooper
11. Nabuli 12. Paia'aua 13. Kerevi 14. F'Sautia 15. Hunt

That team is legit. All it comes down to is whether George Smith is still good and and if his form up north is anything to go by then hes more then capable.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Great to have Scotty back, and looking forward to genia joining him in 2018. Have no issue with these guys 3 yrs into their 30s, then probably going back overseas for a final swansong.

We are flushed with backrowers, but with tui, smith and higs all coming on the back of Japanese seasons, I think that the 'novice' backup backrow of Korczyke, Timu and Gunn will all get their reasonable chances to develop in the match day 23 with Houston. As Tui is also in his last season for the reds and korzcyke and timu have collectively missed alot of rugby over recents times, I'm 100% with having a stacked packed next year with it most likely leaning out again for 2018.

Tui will leave, and I can't imagine Neville sticking around. He must have been gutted when the Reds signed Douglas. Force or Rebels could use Neville.

1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Talakai
4. Douglas 5. Simmons
6. higs 8. Houston 7. Smith
9. Frisby 10. Quade 12. DP 13. Kerevi
11. Nabuli 15. hunt 14. Sautia
16. Hanson 17. Faagase 18. Thor 19. Neville 20. Tui 21. Tuttle 22. Magnay 23. Maranta

(expect to see a fair bit of perese but magnay can cover 12 also and maranta is 11/14/15

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Great to have Scotty back, and looking forward to genia joining him in 2018. Have no issue with these guys 3 yrs into their 30s, then probably going back overseas for a final swansong.

We are flushed with backrowers, but with tui, smith and higs all coming on the back of Japanese seasons, I think that the 'novice' backup backrow of Korczyke, Timu and Gunn will all get their reasonable chances to develop in the match day 23 with Houston. As Tui is also in his last season for the reds and korzcyke and timu have collectively missed alot of rugby over recents times, I'm 100% with having a stacked packed next year with it most likely leaning out again for 2018.

Tui will leave, and I can't imagine Neville sticking around. He must have been gutted when the Reds signed Douglas. Force or Rebels could use Neville.

1. Slipper 2. Moore 3. Talakai
4. Douglas 5. Simmons
6. higs 8. Houston 7. Smith
9. Frisby 10. Quade 12. DP 13. Kerevi
11. Nabuli 15. hunt 14. Sautia
16. Hanson 17. Faagase 18. Thor 19. Neville 20. Tui 21. Tuttle 22. Magnay 23. Maranta

(expect to see a fair bit of perese but magnay can cover 12 also and maranta is 11/14/15

Who is 16: Hanson is your squad? Is that meant to be Ready?

T

TOCC

Apart from Ready, None of those you have mentioned have excelled at super rugby level.

History says you are wrong on the talent identification front OR the reds have historically been exceptionally bad at developing the talent further.

Talakai has..and L.Tui was one of the form locks of the NRC albeit with a few rough edges, likewise with Paraka. I.Rodda is also very impressive at the set piece and has been running the Q Country line out, no mean feat for a 19yr old. Perese, well his form speaks for itself.

Talent identification for the young players is there and working IMO, Kerevi is as good as any young player in Australian rugby, but there will always be the occasional dud.. coaching is a separate issue and the area where it has fallen down the past 4 years.

Reactions: TSR

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Thor will start at 3.
L Tui must play and I would start him. He is aggressive and I really like this.

His aggression reminds me of Simmons and Horwill when they were young players, before they had to settle down.

With QC (Quade Cooper) being so bloody important to the team I would like L Tui as an enforcer in the team, if you touch QC (Quade Cooper) he will smash you.

I would not pick CFS. I think that Perese would be a better player on the wing (he cant fit into centre) and offers a lot more that CFS.

Was Perese fullback in 2014 NRC? I seem to remember him kicking fairly well during the season and this is a skill that our wingers have lacked for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.