• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Geeezzzzz we have some kind of depth and coverage at most positions outside of 10, 11, 14 and 15.

The back three will be our biggest weakness defensively and offensively they're too similar; guys who run at blokes rather than around or have multiple facets to their game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am really intrigued by the backrow.

From my perspective the 'best 3' is

8 Higgers
7 Smith
6 Tui

Tui was fantastic for us last year and made crucial metres close to the ruck. If Leroy was able to do that, then he might sneak into this 3 at 8 with Higgers going to 6.

We probably need Higgers for the lineout and that sets him apart for all other lineout options other than Korczyk (discounting Hewatt).

Smith and Higgers are probably both picked on reputation at the moment though and perhaps we lose the on-ball focus (acknowledging Ready does a decent job at that) and play:

8 Houston
7 Tui
6 Higgers

Of course the wild card here is Caleb Timu has such raw potential. Really excited about him, but it's just a shame he didn't play NRC.

He's only signed until the end of 2017 so he probably has the most pressure on him, but I would like to think he will effectively replace Tui in 2018.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I thinks a huge job for Stiles will be managing the bench.

Depth in the backrow although some are probably unable to go the 80.. Question will be as to when those guys are actually replaced

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Very happy to have Higgers back. I actually think a bit more rotation like the NH teams use might be in order with the back row. I like both Higgers and Houston at 8 for different reasons.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Any more info on Reece Hewat? Physical stats?

Know he played Schoolboy 2015.....did he play Aus u20 this year or even Qld U20? Thought Wright was the local no.7 that played in those teams. Is he injured and that's why he didn't play NRC? Just surprised to see him in the senior squad and not development squad.

With a clear pathway set out in Schoolboy, Qld u20, Aus u20, NRC, Development Squad, Senior Squad, surprised to see a Backrower skip them.

T

TOCC

Happy to have Higgers back, but I feel as though his game has plateaued or at least regressed slightly over the years.. his form in the NRC last year wasn't really that of a standout player likewise in Japan.. will make for good variety and depth in the back row though

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Happy to have Higgers back, but I feel as though his game has plateaued or at least regressed slightly over the years.. his form in the NRC last year wasn't really that of a standout player.. will make for good variety and depth in the back row though

Higgers return is a restart.

Hopefully he will be motivated at being back at Ballymore

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Know he played Schoolboy 2015...did he play Aus u20 this year or even Qld U20? Thought Wright was the local no.7 that played in those teams. Is he injured and that's why he didn't play NRC? Just surprised to see him in the senior squad and not development squad.

With a clear pathway set out in Schoolboy, Qld u20, Aus u20, NRC, Development Squad, Senior Squad, surprised to see a Backrower skip them.

he has been injured all year. Last rugby he played (apparently) was schoolboys. He must have some wraps on him.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)

Know he played Schoolboy 2015...did he play Aus u20 this year or even Qld U20? Thought Wright was the local no.7 that played in those teams. Is he injured and that's why he didn't play NRC? Just surprised to see him in the senior squad and not development squad.

Generally like the look of this squad but find the Maranta inclusion puzzling. Can think of at least half a dozen QPR back 3 who would have been a better option, now and looking forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.