• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Has the EPS been announced? CBF reading the front page article.

Pretty good looking squad. Hopefully the punters return to Suncorp, but there is a lot of goodwill that has been pissed up against the wall since RG took over.

I reckon 2 good wins first up and all sins are forgotten. Fans are pretty fickle.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
2 cents? I woulda thought our comments were worth far more. :rolleyes:

Having lived in Brisbane for six years (during which time the Queensland rugby team regularly flogged my beloved Tahs) I have enormous respect, and envy, for what the rugby family have achieved in Queensland. And that takes into account what you're up against with the popularity of league. I sincerely hope the Reds dramatically improve their onfield performances next year for the good Oz rugby. Just slip up against the Tahs, thank you. ;)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Seen some strange posts on various parts of the site commenting on the age of Higginbotham.. he's the same age as Kieran Read but hasn't had to put his body through the Super Rugby/Test rugby workload cycle in close to 2 years.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Thought Read (born Oct 85) was a year older than Higgers (Sept 86). Neither are spring chickens and questions on age are fair enough. They may both follow Thorn but it isn't unreasonable to ask how much is left in the tank.

I for one very much look forward to finding out in 2017.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Gee, CFS must be using up a lot of brownie points with the rugby gods.

He's very lucky to be in the squad, in my opinion.

Signed a two year deal last time until end of 2017, but agree, he would want to have a "contract" year next season

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
The 2011 team, at their peak, would not imo win Super Rugby 2017.

Impossible to say really. That 2011 team was greater than the sum of its parts. Everything they touched turned to gold. then again they had a bit of luck with their draw.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Gee, CFS must be using up a lot of brownie points with the rugby gods.

He's very lucky to be in the squad, in my opinion.

Can only agree. OTOH we kind of need a couple of these younger backs, CFS and Maranta maybe, to fire up in 2017. Just a couple is all we would need for this squad to be looking more than just inspiring.

The one grey area is depth at 10. I remain baffled by our continued choice of Mac over others. I just dont see him as a playmaker irrespective of on-going development. Hope I'm wrong. I also hope Quade stays strong and uninjured.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Kuridrani had a pretty good NRC in the games I saw but he tends to have a bigger size advantage at NRC level and is facing looser defences, so he can play a bash brother style game.

But by Super Rugby standards he's not a particularly big winger, doesn't have top-end pace and above all has been playing in a Reds side that's had very little quality front-foot ball.

I agree the 14 jersey is a tricky one. Probably best to just give Kuridrani, F-Sautia and Maranta a go there and see which one best seizes the opportunity.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I have seen a few GaGR member's teams with CFS in the First XV which I just cannot get on board with. He wouldn't be in my 23 at the moment.

Nabuli can have one wing and on the other in no particular order of preference (other than ahead of CFS) I would be happy to see Magnay, Perese, Kuridrani, and even Maranta (I haven't even seen a second of his play).

Magnay has genuine pace and runs hard, Perese is just an excellent footballer, great balance, strong in contact and plays with a lot of ticker; Kuridrani is a good winger but whenever he plays with Kerevi, those two work so well together, such a good combination.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is Maranta the ex Broncos player that their fans are laughing at us for signing?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah I'd be interested to see how Magnay would go as a winger. I don't know if he's ever played there or how his kicking and high ball skills are but he's certainly got the size, the pace and the physicality.

As I've said previously I am really liking what Duncan P brings as second playmaker and he's a genuine attacking threat in his own right, so I'm keen to see a Cooper-Paia'aua-Kerevi combo at 10-12-13, which would relegate Magnay to the bench.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Is Maranta the ex Broncos player that their fans are laughing at us for signing?

The one and only!

Stiles (unsurprisingly) is quite positive about his signing in the press conference following the squad announcement.

From what I've read, in 2015 he was the broncos leading try scorer with 15 tries in 20 games. He missed pretty much most of 2016 through an broken bone in his wrist from training but was awarded the Broncos clubman of the year (EDIT: Reg beat me to it).

I've never seen him play but that sounds like the kind of guy that could add to our squad. I don't expect him to be a superstar but I do expect him to go ok. I know the League (keyboard warrior) fans have been pretty much happy to see him go but I don't pay much attention to what those sort of League fans say about Rugby as a general rule. A few League mates I know have said that he went pretty well for the broncos when fit and will do well at the Reds

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Having watched his 2015 NRL highlights on Youtube it must be said the try-scoring record is less impressive than it sounds, nearly all of them are of the classic 'winger receives the last pass unmarked and flops over from 5m out' variety.

There are a few good moves mixed in among them but it's certainly nowhere near as impressive viewing as Koroibete's highlights. Still, let's let him show what he can do!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Similar to the Suns and hundreds of thousand other AFL fans when we signed K Hunt for $700,000 per season.

This bloke supposedly only cost $70,000 odd so happy to sit on the sideline for a while to see if he transitions well into rugby.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Yeah I'd be interested to see how Magnay would go as a winger. I don't know if he's ever played there or how his kicking and high ball skills are but he's certainly got the size, the pace and the physicality.

As I've said previously I am really liking what Duncan P brings as second playmaker and he's a genuine attacking threat in his own right, so I'm keen to see a Cooper-Paia'aua-Kerevi combo at 10-12-13, which would relegate Magnay to the bench.

That's my 10-12-13 without hesitation. Frisby and Hunt obviously. Wingers get interesting.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone know what happened to Jack Tuttle? Started at fullback for a few games and hasn't been named in the squad. The management of the young players is sometimes baffling. I can only think that the top squad contracts given out to Ngamanu & Hewitt were forced to match offers elsewhere, and if that is the case fair enough as they are talented prospects but are too green to play Super Rugby at this stage you would think.

I support the investment in young talent but I often I think that the Reds get caught up in it & are unable to look past it when it comes to player selections. The easiest example is McIntyre.

The investment in McIntyre was so much so that they needed to see a return to justify the amount of time put in. He was brought in from NSW straight after school only development deal, and given EPS & WTS positions all through 20s & Greene was discarded. Greene was signed back in as cover but the Reds always had more invested in McIntyre and stuck with him all through this season even though the performances were terrible, and the player had not developed as projected.

There are other guys that this same approach is happening with; James Tuttle, Magnay etc. They have been picked out early, and investment has been made. They are regulars on the Reds bench and through 20s but barely play any QPR. I can understand that you want to see a return and the only way to do that is get them into Super Rugby as soon as possible but this hampers development.

Other prospects outside the radar are never really considered, and that is the scary part.

Status
Not open for further replies.