• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You're not the only one, Gwm, they didn't tell me either. When was this announced?

Methinks the Reds have quantity but not the right quality balance in the backrow pool.

It's probably an indication of what they are looking for as a squad. The match day 23 could well run with five back rowers to keep the pace of the game up.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Its great news - but am I the only one wondering how they can keep signing (and re-signing) all of these internationals, and stay under the salary cap?

There must be some big paycuts, creative ARU topups or a lot of promises about future gigs at the QRU going on.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If I was the Reds, I'd take this as an opportunity to experiment with different non-traditional back row combinations and rotate a bit throughout the season (Smith, for one, probably shouldn't play every game).

Sure, there's a reason most teams run a traditional back row, but plenty of teams are successful doing different things. Houston, Tui, Higgers - that would be interesting.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Awesome pack. Mostly brilliant in the starting backs but I wonder at depth on the bench backs. We will want a couple of guys to shine coming out of the pre-season. Maranta maybe?

Depth at 10 and 15 could be tested. Does anyone know how Hunt's injury is progressing?

I'm not sure that on paper it's a squad that will shake up the Kiwi's, but a genuine contender for topping the Aussie conference. It's up to the coaching team now.

new recruit_ brisbane

Bill Watson (15)
Awesome pack. Mostly brilliant in the starting backs but I wonder at depth on the bench backs. We will want a couple of guys to shine coming out of the pre-season. Maranta maybe?

Depth at 10 and 15 could be tested. Does anyone know how Hunt's injury is progressing?

I'm not sure that on paper it's a squad that will shake up the Kiwi's, but a genuine contender for topping the Aussie conference. It's up to the coaching team now.

What coaching team?

Very disappointing no assistants have been named......

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Optimism alive and well for the Reds 2017.

Forward pack looks great, the backs ok. Cooper and Kerevi will make a huge difference.

Some early wins to boost confidence and anything can happen.

Tahs and Brumbies on a slide downwards, Rebels on the up.. Force at par again.

Reds could very easily top the Aussie conference.

Reactions: dru

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
The competition for back row spots will be interesting, regardless of the young guns trying to impress. Looking forward to the season again after the past few poor years.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It is interesting to see the quality flocking back after the dud coach years

The Reds have recruited very well, the only real question is the how a rookie coach will leverage the good recruitment and create an effective game plan.

I wonder if people have realised that the grass is greener at home, especially when you have earnt a lot of money you can now invest and get back to your own house and family.

If I was a super rugby player who debuted at say 22 years old I think (with an old mans wisdom) I would play in S15 for 4 years to get a reputation, play in France or Japan from 26-28/29 for big money and buy a house or three in Brisbane, one for my return and two or three as investments for retirement and then return for however long the Reds would take me, hopefully a 3 year contract with possible extensions.

I hate losing our favorite players but also want them to have a successful life.

I think the return to Australia is not influenced as much by coaching as the initial decision to leave.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

THE SQUAD IS:

HOOKERS:

• Stephen Moore
  • Andrew Ready
  • Alex Mafi
FRONT ROWERS:

• James Slipper
  • Sam Talakai
  • Sef Fa’agase
  • Taniela Tupou
  • Pettowa Paraka
  • Markus Vanzati
LOCKS:

• Cadeyrn Neville
  • Rob Simmons
  • Kane Douglas
  • Izack Rodda
  • Lukhan Tui
BACKROWERS:

• Adam Korczyk
  • Scott Higginbotham
  • Hendrick Tui
  • George Smith
  • Michael Gunn
  • Leroy Houston
  • Caleb Timu
  • Reece Hewatt
SCRUMHALVES:

• Nick Frisby
  • James Tuttle
  • Moses Sorovi
FLYHALVES:

• Quade Cooper
  • Jake McIntyre
CENTRES:

• Henry Taefu
  • Duncan Paia’aua
  • Samu Kerevi
  • Campbell Magnay
WINGS:

• Izaia Perese
  • Lachlan Maranta
  • Eto Nabuli
  • Chris Feauai-Sautia
  • Chris Kuridrani
FULLBACKS:

• Karmichael Hunt
  • Jayden Ngamanu

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Higgers has business interested in Brisbane (particularly around coffee shops). That's probably a big draw card, at 30 now he's probably in the mood to start the slow pivot to real life.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Optimism alive and well for the Reds 2017.

Forward pack looks great, the backs ok. Cooper and Kerevi will make a huge difference.

Some early wins to boost confidence and anything can happen.

Tahs and Brumbies on a slide downwards, Rebels on the up.. Force at par again.

Reds could very easily top the Aussie conference.

Tahs, have recruited very well, they have a really good, but young, squad, I expect them to finish second in the conference

Reactions: TSR

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
what I would pick

HOOKERS:

• 2-Stephen Moore
  • 16-Andrew Ready
FRONT ROWERS:

• 1- James Slipper
  • 17- Sam Talakai
  • 18- Sef Fa’agase
  • 3- Taniela Tupou