• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
So the NRC is now over and what a disappointing season for the QLD teams.

Funnily enough I am very positive about the future of the Reds. Speaking to the wife during the weekends game and I said it is funny that the QLD teams are bottom of the table but the reds could feasibly be half the Wallaby team at the next world cup.

This is an exaggeration but the future is looking bright.
So what you're saying is there won't be a single Force, Brumbies or Rebels player in the Wallabies squad. ;)

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The number 7 jersey still is a big concern from me. Gunn hasn't shown much to me this NRC, not to suggest he can match it at Super level.

Obviously we have George Smith, but surely we can't be relying on him.

We've had a production line of 7s since Miller, Wilson, Croft, Gill (with Beau brought in around there). Where's our next? Moroney? Wright?

I'm happy to rely on the Premiership Rugby player of the year. Would like to see a young guy used off the bench to gain experience though. Part of the issue with Aus rugby is no long term planning. NZ do it really well.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wouldn't mind seeing sopoaga picked up from the rams as cover at 7, has a bit more versatility of the bench then the other choices. Rowan Perry is probably a better long term option, though.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The challenge for the Reds is predicting whether Gunn is that guy or whether it is actually a player a year or two younger that will ultimately be the better 7 in the long term.

The challenge for the reds is overcoming their own sense of competency.

The QRU should give up trying to forecast who the good players will be.

They should just wait until the brumbies make an offer on a QLDer and then make a bigger offer. The brumbies have a good idea what to look for.

;P

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

They should just wait until the brumbies make an offer on a QLDer and then make a bigger offer. The brumbies have a good idea what to look for.

;P

Over a long period of time the Brumbies really have been able to do Talent ID very well.

Seeing as I'm sure their backroom staff have changed a lot over time, it's very impressive. I wonder what the commonality over the time period is.

T

TOCC

NRC form of a few players had me thinking this week of the youngsters in the Reds team; L.Tui, Rodda, A.Mafi, Korczyk, Gunn and Ready all signed for 3 year deals before some had even debutd at NRC level..

Perese, Paraka, Talakai were signed for 2 years with no more then 10 caps between them..

Whilst Korczk, Mafi and Gunn have been hampered by injury, the rest of those players have excelled at either at Super Rugby or NRC level.. I think the talent identification is there, and whilst locking down schoolboys for 3 years is a brave call I find it hard to argue against the ones they have signed.

I also think bringing back Caleb Timu will be a master stroke, it's just disappointing he didn't get to transition through the NRC

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Over a long period of time the Brumbies really have been able to do Talent ID very well.

Seeing as I'm sure their backroom staff have changed a lot over time, it's very impressive. I wonder what the commonality over the time period is.

a reluctance or inability to develop their own?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Reds issue in the past has been hanging onto certain players for too long when they haven't developed into the dominant players that was first hoped at the expense of losing younger guys to other sides.

Queensland will always produce more good players than the Reds can sign and it's about trying to pick out which ones will be the best.

N

NTT

I think the Reds should be optimistic in terms of where they will be in 2 to 3 years time. Although results weren't as strong as previous years, there was a mountain of U/22 talent playing in both teams. Both teams played some exciting rugby and with the return of some Wallabies in key positions, the future is very bright.
Having Stiles as coach is a tenfold improvement on Richard Graham. The signings of Moore and Smith are looking very shrewd investments now.
History has shown that when Qld is strong the Wallabies are strong and the cycle is about to bear fruit.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey Reg - do you know when is/was the Gala Ball?

ha! Good point.

I reckon it's been nixed. It really was a big JC thing and he's gone. Plus I don't know if the corporate team structure is there to get the value out of it they need.

Probably not a bad season to miss, although it will likely cost them money.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well they have literally less than 10% of the Junior players that Qld/NSW have, but I see your point.

And yet a third of the Brumbies squad for next year is locally produced...........

Probably have to thank a South African for that though.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
ha! Good point.

I reckon it's been nixed. It really was a big JC thing and he's gone. Plus I don't know if the corporate team structure is there to get the value out of it they need.

Probably not a bad season to miss, although it will likely cost them money.

It was a wonderfully executed event in the golden period.

When everything was so positive and the mood was high and bright.

I've been to a few equivalent rugby events all over the globe and this was certainly one of the very best.

Reactions: gel

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
And yet a third of the Brumbies squad for next year is locally produced.....

Probably have to thank a South African for that though.

Really? That's quite impressive. some promising young players coming through which is good. I just had a look at their squad on the website - you'd think that they would have been able to get photos of their transferring players wearing a Brumbies jersey - looks funny to see Alcock and Godwin in Force jerseys and Saia in a Reds jersey, unless it is deliberate to show how they are recruiting from other Super Rugby sides?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the Reds issue in the past has been hanging onto certain players for too long when they haven't developed into the dominant players that was first hoped at the expense of losing younger guys to other sides.

Queensland will always produce more good players than the Reds can sign and it's about trying to pick out which ones will be the best.

Of course BH there is the nature of the player and then in complement there is the calibre of the player development systems, coaching quality and related structures and cultures. This combination, when sound, forges excellent player growth and enhanced skill over time, or the opposite can occur.

It is imperative to recall that the latter of these two dimensions went into virtual collapse at the Reds from late 2012/early 2013 to the present. What Reds' players can we point to that genuinely developed in this period? Perhaps Kerevi? Though plenty developed during the 2009-2012 period.

Status
Not open for further replies.