• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

Mate I get the impression Duncan is a fair way down the pecking order. Dalgleish was starting ahead of him at the recent U20s tournament. I'd think one of them will be left out of the Aus 20s. from all reports the NSW U20 flyhalves were very good.

Tuttle is a gun.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well Bobby, we will see

Not a downer on Tuttle - he's a fine young player - but I guess we all recall the Dallan Murphy episodes with trepidation. He looked so good for Brothers in Prem Grade, not so much with the Reds. And he come to the Reds team in not dissimilar circumstances.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Was wondering when Dallan was going to be brought up. Young bloke thrown into a lose lose situation and wasn't ready for Super Rugby.

Tuttle is going over as the only 5/8th on paper, Pickle may still get the jersey though - I'd prefer that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

Tuttle is a far superior player to Dallan, but I get your point.

I however do not want to see Pickle play 10. It's not fair to anybody.

Especially us.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
More to the point, is Duncan injured? Or has Tuttle just been preferred as a flyhalf option? (Over Dalgiesh as well).

We should get his brother back from the Broncos too.

I asked @Reds_Rugby about Duncan on Twitter a couple of days ago and they replied to say that he was injured at the National Under 20's Championships in March.

I hope he gets another shot, lot of promise I reckon and it wasn't fair to throw him in the deep end in the pre season trials in Quade's absence.

T

Train Without a Station

^^^ Fourth choice 10 at provincial level is still 1st choice at club level.

Also likely not a full time professional rugby player. Massive difference.

As I noted, this 4th choice 10 still had 20 international caps.

Most 4th choice 10s, won't have any Super Rugby caps. If they do, they will leave for a full time gig overseas before too long if they remain 4th choice.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Someone posted a question: Can anybody tell me who the last team to win a super rugby tournament without their first choice 10?
I merely pointed out that the 2011 World Cup (a level above Super Rugby) has been won by a team without their first choice 10.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Reds were never in hunt to retain Harris. I can confirm this because the bloke alluded as such to me himself when I had a quick opportunity to ask late last year. The Reds knew this early on.

I am sorry but you're wrong. The Reds did a number on Harris and it was all because of the twins. All I'll say is that the appropriate time wasn't given to Harris to make a decision so they signed them. They reap what they sew. But the facts are they made a dumb decision and certainly Harris intended on staying but wasn't given a chance to.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I am sorry but you're wrong. The Reds did a number on Harris and it was all because of the twins. All I'll say is that the appropriate time wasn't given to Harris to make a decision so they signed them. They reap what they sew. But the facts are they made a dumb decision and certainly Harris intended on staying but wasn't given a chance too.

Harris was only given a few days, I believe

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Especially us.

Tuttle is also traditionally a 9 though. He happened to fit the bill for what GPS were looking for in a 10 last year and played very well. Not sure he's a S15 flyhalf though.

If the decision comes down to whether the Reds play Frisby or Tuttle at 10, I'd still want Frisby to start there considering he has a few years of S15 experience under his belt. Give Tuttle the last 10mins of a game and see how he goes, rather than baptism by fire (ala Murphy a few years back)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Re QC (Quade Cooper) back up.

Interestingly, W Smith in The Australian is today reporting that RG:

- began scouring the globe for a backup to QC (Quade Cooper) upon his first pre-season injury, and hoped to land Berrick Barnes but couldn't;

- after QC (Quade Cooper)'s latest injury, is doing the same thing again, with some difficulty as to who's available

Obviously there's $s available for such a recruitment.

....and that JOC (James O'Connor) will now stay on the wing, but resume kicking duties for the Reds.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The back end of a disaster season isn't the time to find a stop gap replacement at play maker. Unless they are seriously considering that Quade will be leaving and as such want to secure a play maker on a multi year contract.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)

Especially us.
Far superior to Dallan?
Dallan had dominated the club comp for years before getting a shot.
Tuttle is a 9 who played 10 (very well but far from dominated) for GPS in a hand full of games at the back end of a season.
I have only seen Tuttle play 10 4 times but from what I saw he is a direct at the line player (opposite to frisby). The chance of him getting bashed out of the game by the South africans far to young is a high chance in my opinion if he starts. He is a good player that doesn't need a sink or swim situation so early in his development

Status
Not open for further replies.