• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
This can only be a good sign, when Tahs supporters are getting snarky.
Not snarky. It is a very sensible move to warehouse your homegrown talent. Until WA, Vic and ACT player pools start turning out decent numbers of professional standard players, NSW and QLD talent will continue to get raided by teams from outside their borders.

I'd say 2015 will be a "No Excuses" year for the Reds. They certainly have a top notch roster that has the potential to go all the way. If this squad falters, it will not be because of a bad roster.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He came out in the press and basically said he hasn't been training properly over the last couple of years. He just had a kid, and it kicked him into gear to sort his shit out. Has been awesome since.

Has he been playing hard to drop those pregnancy pounds? o_O

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Magnay offered full contract as Brisbane Broncos had offer tabled because of his league background.....

Luckily for rugby prefers to play union...smart kid...as clearly much better game :)

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If they couldn't bear to lose him to the Broncs then fair enough I say.

Hope he proves that he's as good as they think he is. Lot of centres in QLD who might have something to say about a young buck trying to force his way in. Some of them that pretty young too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who hammertime? I saw enough of him in the nrc to suggest his signing his justified. Perhaps give or take with Sam Johnson and which should be on which squad (full v wider training) but I'm happy for Magney to be there with QC (Quade Cooper), Will, Lachie and Special K mentoring him.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The only center we have with a comparable size/playing style to Magnay is Kerevi, anyway.

It's not nearly as redundant of a selection if you're looking at it from the perspective of developing a playing system and having the right bodies to fill the roles in that system, even if someone goes down hurt.

CFS is a wing/bench cover in the current squad and never did that much to straighten the attack or bend the line in his stints at 13. He wasn't bad, but not that great either. Nothing near the show Kerevi put on at the end of last season and through the NRC in the centers.

Ant is a lot of things, and can straighten the line as well - but isn't exactly a threat to break it more than once in a blue moon these days.

Taps is just not a line-straightening, ball-running 13. Period.

6'3" 100kg 17 year olds with a rugby brain don't come around often - much less so ones that have the pace to play outside center.

@Hammertime anyone you may be referring to should either work to get better or can fuck off and mope about how they wish their alleles lined up differently - that's just sport.

T

TOCC

^^^ The Warehouse "He's ours. Keep your hands off him" Contract ?

latest Ballymore upgrade
ob_910377_7792726.jpg

Can you blame them, Tevita Kuridrani was at the Reds only a few years back, he was one who 'got away.

T

Train Without a Station

CFS always seemed very opportunistic. He never rampaged through the line though.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
CFS always seemed very opportunistic. He never rampaged through the line though.

He had a few bustling runs in that game against the 'Tahs he started where he dragged a few of their backs with him as he went - but on the whole I'd have to agree.

Maybe someone should tweet Quade and ask him what the fark happened to 'Beastmode'?

B

Bobby Sands

CFS is an absolute force of nature. Anyone who wants to write him off, at 21 is off their tree. He has had many injuries, mainly due the force his body generates and his adaption to his adult body in my opinion.

Anyone who has some experience with the racing industry, or with young sprinters / jumpers will understand completely. Power athletes injure themselves. It's the same curse / gift double edge sword that writers and creatives face with depression and anxiety. You can't have such an extraordinary push in one direction without an equal pull in the other.

Finding that balance, is what separates the good from the great. Admittedly some never find the balance, and do not fulfill their potential.

But to say someone is regularly opportunistic is naive both in sport and life. People are not "lucky" if it becomes a pattern.

Chris will be a very good player, and we are lucky to have him. Same too with many of our young players.

B

Bobby Sands

Who hammertime? I saw enough of him in the nrc to suggest his signing his justified. Perhaps give or take with Sam Johnson and which should be on which squad (full v wider training) but I'm happy for Magney to be there with QC (Quade Cooper), Will, Lachie and Special K mentoring him.

Toby White?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspected his name would come up. Very solid player. Many have been waiting for his chance at the higher level and he got it in the nrc. He played well as part of a very good team. He wouldn't let qld down.

But I maintain Magnay did more in his time, with a lessor team. And thus happy that he has the spot.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
@Bobby Sands

Speaking of balance I think one of his most underrated attributes is exactly that - he's got very good balance for someone his size. Often manages to recover from being knocked off center where other players would stumble forward or fall over - allows him to throw the step at weird/unexpected times (like the consolation try against South Africa last year from Quade's cross-field kick)

T

Train Without a Station

CFS is an absolute force of nature. Anyone who wants to right him off, at 21 is off their tree. He has had many injuries, mainly due the force his body generates and his adaption to his adult body in my opinion.

Anyone who has some experience with the racing industry, or with young sprinters / jumpers will understand completely. Power athletes injure themselves. It's the same curse / gift double edge sword that writers and creatives face with depression and anxiety. You can't have such an extraordinary push in one direction without an equal pull in the other.

Finding that balance, is what separates the good from the great. Admittedly some never find the balance, and do not fulfill their potential.

But to say someone is regularly opportunistic is naive both in sport and life. People are not "lucky" if it becomes a pattern.

Chris will be a very good player, and we are lucky to have him. Same too with many of our young players.

CFS makes the most of tries when the opportunity is there. Hence opportunistic. Despite more games has never punched holes in a defensive line the way Kerevi has.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I suppose my point was relative to 2015 specifically. Kerevi has had some good minutes now, Fainga'a is still there as is Taps and CFS played well for the Reds at 13 in 2013. All of these blokes are more likely to see time at 13 than Campbell.

If he's as smart and skillful as he seems young Magnay may however have a higher ceiling than any of them because he has size (like Kerevi) but lots of pace like the wingers.

I never said it was redundant or bad signing, he's a good one to have (USAR's point about having a system where similar players can step in for an injury without forcing a change in gameplan is a good one) but I don't think the Reds signed him because of what he can offer on the field at Super Rugby level in 2015. It's more to keep him in rugby until he inevitably comes good.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2015 is definitely the year for CFS to stand up and show some consistent form and fitness.

He needs to make himself a consistent starter for the Reds. If he has another injury riddled season, he might find himself on the outer. The Reds have plenty of competition for spots next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.