• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seems to be a lot of critics of Richard Graham here. Nevertheless, much credit to the coaches and administrators.

Hard to gauge as an outsider but we seem to have a very good CEO.

I'm looking forward to the season as much as 2012 too!

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
How is it than in one off-season we pick up Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), a Broncos lower-grader and snatch very hyped young fellow from across the dutch.

Then our bench lock becomes the form lock of the NRC. Our unsigned props are at the fore, around the park and in a dominant SCRUM performance in the final. Reds don't scrum do they?

Then we pick up an Ex-All-Black and current Japanese international for good measure.

That's one hell of bloody off-season, and we haven't even start training.

Makes you wonder about the salary cap doesn't it? And if the reds can fit under with this bunch then what are some of the other teams paying for their players?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Makes you wonder about the salary cap doesn't it? And if the reds can fit under with this bunch then what are some of the other teams paying for their players?

The Reds recruitment looks fantastic, but I think it's come about from correcting the ledger a bit in terms of having too many reasonably paid players in similar positions.

Harris and Shipperley would have both been on a decent salary and realistically, Harris wasn't going to be the best player in any of his positions in 2015. With CFS, Turner, and Shipperley, someone needed to move on and be replaced by a minimum contract player (Kuridrani).

Pretty much all Reds fans were upset to lose Ben Lucas but he obviously demanded too much to be a non-starting XV player. His versatility was useful but realistically, he wasn't the second halfback and was generally a utility player on the bench unless there were injuries.

Super Rugby involves plenty of luck in terms of injuries and it seems that you need your bankable stars that carry the team and then a reasonable reliance on young (cheap) players to really stand up and help the team.

The teams that are reasonably consistent across the park but lack that out and out firepower don't seem to win very often.

We did offload seemingly half the backline and the twins to find room.

The twins? The Fainga'as aren't going anywhere.

T

Train Without a Station

How is it than in one off-season we pick up Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor), a Broncos lower-grader and snatch very hyped young fellow from across the dutch.

Then our bench lock becomes the form lock of the NRC. Our unsigned props are at the fore, around the park and in a dominant SCRUM performance in the final. Reds don't scrum do they?

Then we pick up an Ex-All-Black and current Japanese international for good measure.

That's one hell of bloody off-season, and we haven't even start training.

I personally don't want the season to start. Could only go downhill from here.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Seems to be a lot of critics of Richard Graham here. Nevertheless, much credit to the coaches and administrators.

Hard to gauge as an outsider but we seem to have a very good CEO.

I'm looking forward to the season as much as 2012 too!

I'm one of the biggest critics of RG getting around, but I have to admit the off-season recruiting has been good for us.

The other side of the coin is this is an all or nothing squad. If we don't win the Aus Conference RG needs to be gone before the first semi is played.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

About the only positive of the Reds in 2014 was our forward play. Stiles did exactly what he did at the Force and produced a dominant set piece side. Unfortunately, like at the force, it wasn't supported by the rest of the game play.

The pushover try against the feed almost rates as high as Genias GF try or Quades somersault effort as a Suncorp experience.

B

Bobby Sands

Yes, the forward play was much better this year wasn't it?

The point I was more making is that, serious change is happening at Ballymore.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We have the glam in the backs, we have the balance in our back row, we are getting good depth with a few exceptions but what will make or break us is defense. Who is coaching defense and how are they going to pick up the standard?

I'm excited about 2015 but I'm not blowing my load until we see some serious improvement in defense.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Didn't Graham say he was going to give up defence?

What is maybe more important is S&C. Our fitness was really bad last year. We could have a fantastic defensive structure but without the S&C it will fall away in the second half. If I remember correctly, this year we lost a lot of second halves.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
Looks like the Reds have signed Magnay as reported on Fox Sports. Full Contract for 3 years. Obviously he's got potential and already got the size but I can't help thinking that it might have gone to a more needed position like prop.

1 squad position left.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a tough call, you need to lock him up before the Broncos get him and that would require offering him probably more than he's worth.

B

Bobby Sands

Looks like the Reds have signed Magnay as reported on Fox Sports. Full Contract for 3 years. Obviously he's got potential and already got the size but I can't help thinking that it might have gone to a more needed position like prop.

1 squad position left.

Good signing.

Kid is blue-chip. You gotta keep those types in the kennel.

Would have got him for a bargain, and he could be a real genuine footy player.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is risky, though.

Guess that's what the (second) last spot is for. We have heaps of centres now, though - Taps, Ant, Magnay, CFS, Kerevi. Bit unbalanced.

Last position has to be a tighthead prop, and another prop is still needed for the EPS after that.

B

Bobby Sands

I have a feeling we are not going to use all our EPS spots again, and promote players as need be. There is no way that any of the other props are rated higher than Paraka. I realise he is a LH and we need a TH, but let's assume Talakai gets the TH spot. I think we will leave three EPS spots open.

Status
Not open for further replies.