• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Certainly seems like a risk to give him a full contract. Hes awesome but the last guy to sign at 17 was F'Sautia and hes nowhere near as good as chris was at the same point.

B

Bobby Sands

If Saia can carry this test form into Super Rugby I would be soooooo happy :)

He came out in the press and basically said he hasn't been training properly over the last couple of years. He just had a kid, and it kicked him into gear to sort his shit out. Has been awesome since.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
It might also be my red glasses but i thought both kev and genia were good. Kev showed some more impact and his usual workrate, and genia passed from the base of the ruck instead of taking steps every time.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree, they were both good. Genia can still be faster. Phipps really gets that ball our of there in a hurry, makes a big different.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I thought Kev was alright and that he'd been playing better in the games leading up to this. The blue headgear doesn't do him any favors when he stuffs up, either. His positioning in open play and during the transition from the line out -> open play was below his usual standard tonight and it caused him to miss a tackle or two and the chance to hit a few rucks properly (poor positioning forcing him to come in from a less-than-ideal angle or lack of run up leading to the ruck).

Genia's passing needs to flatten out a bit but it was good to see the two steps largely eliminated (not that they should go entirely - but if we're playing on a series of quick ball phases there isn't room for it).

In the second half the Welsh were breaking the rule of NEVER moving your pillar (first defender off the ruck) at every 2nd or 3rd ruck and I was a bit surprised Genia didn't see this and/or go for a snipe - Tomane sure noticed it and nearly broke straight through. They were also shifting tight-five players from pillar in favor of backs at times, would have been a good chance for easy meters up the guts.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
With Saia - well said USARugger! Right on the moolah with that one!!

Even when he was playing for GPS in the Brisbane Club finals he was step above. I hope with this form he starts the hooking role next year - and deservingly so if it does eventuate.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Certainly seems like a risk to give him a full contract. Hes awesome but the last guy to sign at 17 was F'Sautia and hes nowhere near as good as chris was at the same point.

Come down to Yoku rd and see for yourself, looks to have a much higher ceiling than Sautia, skill wise. I'd say he was the most dominant Colts player (in the comp, when he wasn't injured) last year and more than held his own in the NRC. Still find it odd for the Reds though, he definitely isn't a player you'd chuck on the wing/fullback and the squad is already stacked with 12/13s. Must have had to lock him up before someone else did.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Only because we didn't replace him well. I don't think he's irreplaceable.

This.

He was replaced by the rehab guy and a bunch of his mates (literally, not just a boys club, but actually flew guys over from England). There was no recruitment process or anything.

We lost 2 of the most experienced S&C guys in the space of 2 years and replaced with the most inexperienced group in Australia.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
We needed one more outside back but taking a punt on a 17 year old is not what I had in mind, particularly as he's a centre first and foremost and we more needed a squaddie to cover 14/15. Good that we have him locked up, but questionable if it was as the expense of a full squad spot (money would have been better spent on a prop), if it was one of these secret lock up the young talent deals then I'm on board 100%

B

Bobby Sands

We needed one more outside back but taking a punt on a 17 year old is not what I had in mind, particularly as he's a centre first and foremost and we more needed a squaddie to cover 14/15. Good that we have him locked up, but questionable if it was as the expense of a full squad spot (money would have been better spent on a prop), if it was one of these secret lock up the young talent deals then I'm on board 100%

Geez.

We are still signing a prop!

RG said he needed a prop and an outside back. He has signed Magnay from the clutches of the Broncos, and it seems logical that Talakai will be the TH signed to a full-contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.