• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Note that the Reds have now combined the EPS and main squads into one squad page. 32 people signed so far in the combined squad, so 3 to go. Not sure what that means in regards to the EPS or whether it still exists or not.

In the EPS was Lolo and Ready.

Some clarification on the EDS, which apparently exists along with the WTS and U20s. Anyone know the difference between EDS and WTS? Payment / training with the main squad? Younger players with potential go in the EDS, older experienced club players in the WTS?

The Reds Elite Development squad features victorious McInnes Wilson Lawyers Brisbane City players Sef Faagase, Pettowa Paraka, Adam Korczyk, Brad Wilkin, Michael Gunn and Jake McIntyre, along with Queensland Country’s James Tuttle and Sam Johnson.

The Reds Elite Development squad is an initiative by Queensland Rugby designed to ensure the Reds retain the best talent the state has to offer. Those in the squad, which will train mostly with the Reds Under 20s and Wider Training Squad, are expected to be the next crop of Reds stars.

B

Bobby Sands

Based on Olly's LinkedIn here is experience from 2008. Looks like a pretty good CV to me, he has elite rugby and fight training as a background. Relevant to the sport, and fighters are probably some of the most well-rounded conditioned athletes in the world.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 6.15.18 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 6.15.18 pm.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 231
B

Bobby Sands

Also - without doing that thing. It is the off-season after all.

The current Reds squad is the best one I have seen. Every player in the main squad is a damn good player. Almost no-one in our squad doesn't have the potential of playing at a higher level except for Ed-O. He probably the only 'squaddy.'

T

Train Without a Station

Pretty sure Olly was handed the reigns pretty late in the piece last year. Wouldn't personally have any idea if he's any good, but if true, that would impact he program surely.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Ollie has a bucketload of experience but here's the thing, if his philosophy on training (as useful as it might be in the right context) doesn't match the requirements of the athletes to play Super Rugby then it will fail.

It seemed to those who we're paying attention that the Reds struggled to impose their game plan on the opposition in 2014 and one of the prime culprits in that situation is that the players aren't fit enough or aren't conditioned specifically to the demands of the game they want to play. Logistics and short time to prepare the squad may have played a role or not, we don't know but here's hoping that whoever is in charge of that physical preparation area has a very clear and detailed plan and enough charisma to get the players to buy in and execute it.

In 2011 our team of young bucks was amongst the fittest in the comp, likewise the brumbies in 2012/13 and waratahs in 2014. The Chiefs of recent are renowned for their training ethic, as are the AB's at test level.

In Rugby, supreme fitness is not a guarantee of success but it seems to be a pre-requisite.

B

Bobby Sands

Without doubt. However let's back him to make the required tweaks to his program and get our lads in peak condition.

He looked after England A, and was performance coach at Leicester for 7 years. Hardly a schmuck, but I know no-one is insinuating that.

T

TOCC

Also - without doing that thing. It is the off-season after all.

The current Reds squad is the best one I have seen. Every player in the main squad is a damn good player. Almost no-one in our squad doesn't have the potential of playing at a higher level except for Ed-O. He probably the only 'squaddy.'

Looking retrospectively at squads from past era's makes it easier to judge, but for me the 2015 squad ranks well down on squads from the 90's and early 2000's, that's without even considering previous golden eraS.

Question marks remain for many of the starting positions, including: tight-head prop, starting number 8, inside centre, outside centre, fullback and wing.

T

TOCC

Samu is an obvious talent and defiantly a lead contender for 13 but I think it's premature to label him as a unchallenged starter for that position.. He had a few good runs in super rugby last year and his NRC form is well documented, but he like another strong talent in Karmichael are still to consistently prove themselves against quality opposition, thus question marks exist.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looking retrospectively at squads from past era's makes it easier to judge, but for me the 2015 squad ranks well down on squads from the 90's and early 2000's, that's without even considering previous golden eraS.

Question marks remain for many of the starting positions, including: tight-head prop, starting number 8, inside centre, outside centre, fullback and wing.
Tight head prop is my only concern (and JOC (James O'Connor)'s behaviour).

I think all positions except for 10 have viable alternates and this can only mean good times ahead. I just hope the coach remembers to drop players when required and bring in backups to keep the hunger in the squad.

I think there is a saying that the most important player in the team is the tight head prop, the second most important is the reserve tight head prop. We have some issues here!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or one of the Wallabies ones but geez I reckon Genia looks undernourished! Had a flick through some of the Wallabies instagram uploads from Europe and he looks about 5-10kg lighter than he did in previous years. Not sure whether thats good or bad.

Sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to upload the pics to forum but if anyone has a look let me know what you reckon.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just with Magnay - I was rather unsure initially about his signing. He is only 17 and has played a hand-full of Premier Grade games. He didn't overly star in the NRC compared to other up and coming players of note.

However, you only have to look at his size. At 17, he is 195cm and 98kgs. That is enormous. And I personally think he has the talent there. He did play rugby league which is evident in some of his defensive plays. He has the physique of a professional sports player.

The more development he gets with the Reds, the better.

I think long term, Kerevi and Magnay would make a superb centre-combination. I mean, who would want to tackle them? Seriously.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Going back to the S&C comments earlier. Dave Dennins was on the GAGR pod a few months ago and he mentioned the Warraths were using a S&C program they had purchased from Stanford University.

Given how well the Tahs went this year, as they were able to keep much of their starting players fit and on the park and that the Tahs coach is now the Wallabies coach. Could we see that filter down to all S15 teams for the greater good of the Wallabies?

If Cheika wants to play a fast up-tempo game with the Wallabies it's going to be up to the S15 teams to get the S&C right?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He is 18 (as of this week).

I thought he starred (ironically) v the Stars in Townsville. Really stood up and manned up, which was significant as he was just a boy. First game I have seen him use his size as a weapon.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Magnay's impact was also prevalent in his games for GPS Premier Colts. I realize its just Colts footy but he was definitely noticeable with every touch and the team really missed him when he was injured for a couple of weeks.

I daresay he was as dominant as Kerevi was during his years at that level but I don't think they will develop to be overly similar players. Magnay seems to have a bit more finesse whereas Samu knows the quickest way to the line is straight ahead.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A future Kerevi and Magnay highlight reel could be something to put in the NSFW folder when you're feeling lonely late at night ;). Hopefully it happens.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Note that the Reds have now combined the EPS and main squads into one squad page. 32 people signed so far in the combined squad, so 3 to go. Not sure what that means in regards to the EPS or whether it still exists or not.

In the EPS was Lolo and Ready.

Some clarification on the EDS, which apparently exists along with the WTS and U20s. Anyone know the difference between EDS and WTS? Payment / training with the main squad? Younger players with potential go in the EDS, older experienced club players in the WTS?

I'm lead to believe SOME players in the EDS are on the old academy type contracts 15-20k for the season and will train with the top squad full time. I think the Reds are purposely leaving spots open for those players who impress during the pre season. Giving them a chance to upgrade into the top squad especially in the front row.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
He is 18 (as of this week).

I thought he starred (ironically) v the Stars in Townsville. Really stood up and manned up, which was significant as he was just a boy. First game I have seen him use his size as a weapon.

Some of his other games edit: in the NRC, though, I thought he looked very hesitant and didn't use his size at all. Perhaps understandable for a 17 year old against season club players. You wouldn't have picked him out of the pack from the other games if you didn't know his age - outside of the Stars game I thought the other 13 for Qld Country had better performances.

Definitely needs some time to see if he will make it. Will be interesting to see if he can crack the U20s next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.