• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Harris lacks pace but he is very underrated as an attacking player. He is also enormous in defence, plus grabs a couple of pilfers when playing 12.

T

TOCC

Not all do a sprint to the bar TOCC - but tyhat adds entertainment for you (and me, by the way). Does it follow that we should absolutely ban alcohol from games (because it promotes the consumption of a legal drug to all and may influence kiddies to join the culture sooner or later) Something about a long bow.

Personally i think the 'Academy of Brothers" is a fantastic concept but its "entertainment" value is woeful

Haha don't shoot the messenger mate, I'm just pointing out that it is the perception and it's a common message across Australian sporting teams who have cut their cheerleader's, and it's also the reason they won't come back.. family appeal is now a bigger selling item then 'making it more sexy'.

The Academy of Brothers have come on leaps and bounds in the last 3 years, last year they competed internationally and their routine was fantastic.. Also it appeals to the youth more the cheer leaders, I'd say it's more important to keep the kids entertained..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets, that's the exact type of comment I've heard multiple people make about him, yet I've watched just about every game he has played for the Reds and I can't say he has left an impression on me at all. In fact last stint he had there I thought he was not up to the standard at all.

He tears up at Premier level and was outstanding as a schoolboy. I went to watch Quade play at Churchie and walked away thinking Aiden was the better player. My opinion has changed a bit since then but he can offer quite a bit. I think a few games at 15 will do him the world of good. If he gets another injury that rules him out for an extended period of time I think he will be written off as another player who could have been.

Also my comment was also a bit weighted as I don't rate Harris as a 15.

T

Train Without a Station

Jets,

I think of the positions Harris covers (10,12 and 15), fullback is his worst position. He is a serviceable 10 and a good Super Rugby 12. I'd probably say serviceable a 15 too. His lack of pace is only made up by a good kicking game. I'd prefer he never played there too.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I really only see Harris as a 12. Too one dimensional to be a 10 and too slow to be a 15.

I think he gets a hard wrap though, his appearances for the Wallabies last year were actually pretty decent, but most seem to discard him.

I wouldn't have him starting (Taps, Fainga'a and CFS ahead of him) but he isn't a bad player to have on the bench covering the inside backs.

I hope Benny Lucas doesn't have a serious injury, doesn't have the best luck. I think he's our second best 10, and like Harris, a good utility to have.

T

Train Without a Station

I personally think that Taps and Fainga'a is our best midfield combo, but think that Harris can also be very valuable at 12. Probably creates a better defensive, field position oriented midfield with Ant, due to his solid D, kicking game and crash ball running.

I wouldn't say having him at 15 is too slow to work, we won the title with Lance there after all, but considering the other options we have there, he should be considered too slow to be a first choice option.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
These comments from Wide World of Sports:

Toua earns first shot at Reds 15 jersey
Jim Morton
15:04 AEST Thu Feb 6 2014

Waratahs recruit Lachie Turner will make his Queensland debut on the wing in a full-strength Reds outfit but he also has one eye on a Super Rugby fullback berth.

First crack at Queensland's contentious No.15 jersey has gone to injury-plagued Aidan Toua in Saturday night's pre-season Super Rugby trial against the Chiefs in Toowoomba.

New Reds coach Richard Graham confirmed former Wallabies flyer Turner is also set to receive time at fullback as he looks to add pace and punch to his back three attack.

Both No.15 candidates have suffered nightmare injury runs over the past two years, so first priority for both is nailing backline spots, anywhere, after being rewarded for their pre-season vigour.

"After the last couple of years I'm just excited to play footy," Turner said.

"Fullback is something I am excited to play if given that opportunity but at the moment my sole concentration is on that first play and nailing the little things the wingers have to do."

Toua - who has lined up fleetingly at wing, outside centre and fullback in the past three years - was also a stand-out last season for Brisbane club rugby champions Easts.

"Aidan is dynamic and very good on his feet and I'll be interested to see how he goes in that (fullback) position," Graham said.

With only two warm-ups scheduled before the February 22 competition opener against the Brumbies, Wallabies tourists Will Genia, Quade Cooper, James Horwill, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Liam Gill and Saia Fainga'a are all starting but Chris Feauai-Sautia is on the bench.

A try-scorer in both his Test appearances on the wing last year, Feauai-Sautia will get time at outside centre in the second half.

Interestingly, inside centre contender Ben Tapuai will trial at No.13 from kick-off, outside No.12 rival Mike Harris, against the classy Chiefs backline.

Prop Ben Daley will start ahead of Greg Holmes in the front-row in a settled forward pack that is likely to see lock Simmons also spend time in the back-row.

Back-up five-eighth Ben Lucas suffered a pre-season injury rolling his ankle at training to miss the match, but is expected to return to play the Melbourne Rebels on Friday week.

Reds: Aidan Toua, Dom Shipperley, Ben Tapuai, Mike Harris, Lachie Turner, Quade Cooper, Will Genia; Jake Schatz, Liam Gill, Eddie Quirk, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley.

Res: Greg Holmes, Albert Anae, Jono Owen, Ed O'Donoghue, Blake Enever, Dave McDuling, Curtis Browning, Nick Frisby, Chris Kuridrani, Samuela Kerevi, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Rod Davies, Jonah Placid.

Best wishes to both Aidan and Lachie who are both fine lads who have had more than their fair share of injury troubles.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Should we end up with a back three of Davies, Shipperly and Turner, that would ooze genuine pace.

Don't expect Turner to have the same pace as when he won that footballers' race a few years back now, before his injuries started.

He didn't look particularly quick in the Shute Shield last year before he broke his leg early in the season; nor did he play that well.

But let's see—I hope that the last sentence ends up being complete rubbish.

One thing for sure: Turner's preparation and rehab both with the Reds and privately will have been meticulous.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Make no mistake about it, the Reds backline oozes talent and will be tough for many teams to counter this year.

Many people do not seem to credit them with the class that they possess. For some reason, their potential is not being acknowledged as being the threat that it really is. They are serious contenders for a gig in the 2014 finals series.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Not quite. The Reds have been flying under the radar during the pre-season, just getting on with the job of preparing themselves for 2014.

Do the maths on the talent in their squad. They will be very tough opponents this year.

The piggies may be their weaker link in comparison.

T

tranquility

Make no mistake about it, the Reds backline oozes talent and will be tough for many teams to counter this year.

Many people do not seem to credit them with the class that they possess. For some reason, their potential is not being acknowledged as being the threat that it really is. They are serious contenders for a gig in the 2014 finals series.

In it to win it baby.

T

tranquility

The Reds do not sit behind the Waratahs on any logical front. I don't care who they roll out. The Reds are a settled unit, who not only understand each others games but have tasted success against all opposition on both continents. The Waratahs, in recent time can not say either of those things.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ And in many respects the Reds player roster will put them in front of a "battle hardened Brumbies outfit" as well as the top Australian Seed.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
JJ will be an excitement machine from the back when he gets a run, but Toua deserves a shot for now. JJ will grow in the environment and should hopefully get a run or two this season, but will become more regular over the next 2-3 seasons.

I'm lost, who is JJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.