• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Including Allan Border and Greg Inglis?

Most certainly Lee. I would also place Van Humphries above those two. Bit of a stretch but I would also say Beau Robinson also in a rugby context because he is a Territorian being born in the Alice.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Queensland has on average been receiving 25'000 people from interstate since 2000, it's a statistical probability that one of those will at one point play professional sport and potentially represent the state they love.

Sooner or later has happened a long time ago. Plenty of non-Queensland born folk have worn, and bled, Red.

The Interstater playing for their adopted state is a nonsense argument. Same with Foreign born players representing their State or the Wobs.

Some of the most passionate Queenslanders I know are foreign born. Being a Queenslander is a state of mind not an accident of geography.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Sudden topic change here but I was at work today and had an idea with regards to matchday experience.

Some of you on here are a bit older and your more classic "I Just want to watch the game" types of rugby fans and that's fine. I am a young fan, the type that has a few beers and is constantly obscuring your view by standing up everytime there is a linebreak.

Quite often I have people behind me that don't like standing up and being loud and who get, well, pissed off when I do so. This got me thinking right back to the Ballymore days of the hill etc - the Rowdy mob would go sit on the hill and those who wanted their unobscured site line in the stands. Everyone gets along fine.

I am perfectly happy to stand for the entire game (and often do if I am in the back row of a section). So why doesn't the QRU have one of the sections at suncorp the students section, make the tickets 15 bucks and permit people to be standing? I think the atmosphere would be fantastic (Look at the ZOO when the Highlanders play) and the QRU would have no trouble filling it up etc each week (they could probably fill 2-3 sections).

This would be a fantastic way of further engaging the uni student population (that is heavily into rugby) whilst keeping older fans happy.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Sudden topic change here but I was at work today and had an idea with regards to matchday experience.

Some of you on here are a bit older and your more classic "I Just want to watch the game" types of rugby fans and that's fine. I am a young fan, the type that has a few beers and is constantly obscuring your view by standing up everytime there is a linebreak.

Quite often I have people behind me that don't like standing up and being loud and who get, well, pissed off when I do so. This got me thinking right back to the Ballymore days of the hill etc - the Rowdy mob would go sit on the hill and those who wanted their unobscured site line in the stands. Everyone gets along fine.

I am perfectly happy to stand for the entire game (and often do if I am in the back row of a section). So why doesn't the QRU have one of the sections at suncorp the students section, make the tickets 15 bucks and permit people to be standing? I think the atmosphere would be fantastic (Look at the ZOO when the Highlanders play) and the QRU would have no trouble filling it up etc each week (they could probably fill 2-3 sections).

This would be a fantastic way of further engaging the uni student population (that is heavily into rugby) whilst keeping older fans happy.
Great idea! I'd get into that,I'm usually the same type who's butt leaves his seat almost everytime something happens haha

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I just like to cite the example of the zoo in dunedin here, half the university seems to be at these Highlanders games in dress up and really making it a partisan atmosphere (Dunedin is obviously a university town but hey there are something like 70000 students in Brisbane).

It makes me happy because I can stand up and yell without upsetting the father of a four year old behind me and it makes the others happy because they are off in the section where there are 'No Dickheads' so to speak. It may be too late in the process to make it happen with membership seating allocations etc but I think if done correctly it could be very beneficial for every stakeholder here. Call it the Red End or something 18+ only and cheap as tickets for students. Guarantee you it will go off in there

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I watched Jonah all season, and he is a great talent, but still has a long way to go.

Yeah—he's still very raw and I have no clue how he goes in the custodial duties a fullback has.

As you indicate: it's a good idea to start young fullbacks on the wing when they get to Grade early, maybe too early, and help the 15 out to learn their trade.

Since school I've seen Jonah only in the Oz Under 20s last year. He's still eligible this year and doesn't turn 20 until next—so he will be eligible in 2015 as well.

Hopefully we'll all be talking about him a few years down the track.

T

Train Without a Station

Listen here you fucking yahoos, some of us like to enjoy our chardonnay in peace, with the gentle ambiance of the game in the background to glance at infrequently.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
We have reached the inevitable end. The point of super saturation. We have talked all the rugby we can without actually having Rugby to talk about.

We really need a Reds game to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we'll have ours soon! NOTHING gets me as excited as the fact that the Reds season is about to kick off, and I don't think I'll ever be as passionate about another sports franchise in my life. The Philadelphia Eagles rarely get me off my feet and hollering at any hour, much less at 3am. I have no rational explanation for this, but who fucking cares?

Some of the most passionate Queenslanders I know are foreign born. Being a Queenslander is a state of mind not an accident of geography.

I would have stayed in Brisbane for good if I wouldn't have been leaving the missus behind - and the inevitable deportation.

I've been to every major city in the United States with the exception of Honolulu and Anchorage, and for mine, Brisbane blows them all out of the fucking water. I've rarely felt so at home, and the natural beauty of the city is unparalleled in most of the western world.

I don't get emotional about much, but I can't help but get butterflies in my stomach every time I see the boys run out of the tunnel.

T

TOCC

Yeah—he's still very raw and I have no clue how he goes in the custodial duties a fullback has.

As you indicate: it's a good idea to start young fullbacks on the wing when they get to Grade early, maybe too early, and help the 15 out to learn their trade.

Since school I've seen Jonah only in the Oz Under 20s last year. He's still eligible this year and doesn't turn 20 until next—so he will be eligible in 2015 as well.

Hopefully we'll all be talking about him a few years down the track.

Like all up and coming talent like this, lets just hope they manage to keep him in the code.. There has been too many in recent years that have slipped through Union's grasp.

Im not sure if anyone on here has any info on it, but the reports were that Jonah was signed by the Reds and fended off approaches from Rugby League.. Now he is neither in the Reds full contracted squad or the EPS, is there another layer of contracts been offered for players like this, i have heard similar comments about Junior Fakaosilea signing a 2 year contract with the Reds. Or are these 2 players the missing part of the EPS(only has 3 players).. Have the Reds management chosen to omit them from any official PR at this point in their careers?

I think @scoey is right, we just need the Reds to play already

T

Train Without a Station

As far as I am aware TOCC, the Rebels are paying players not in their 35 to train full time. He may be in an arrangement like this with the Reds.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

The Reds did try this a few years back. Dirt cheap tickets (whole season was under $100 and I think they dropped that to $50), a whole area on the seating plan put aside targeted at young people and students. End result was about 10 people sitting there throughout the season.

Times may have changed and it's a good idea so maybe it might work now.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They had the drums and tried doing a walk to the game from Roma St Parklands. I must say it is an easier sell if the team is a chance of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.