• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can still remember the many times Hanson has come off the bench in a pressure situation (eg opposition scrum 5m out from the Reds line) and been a difference maker straight away and I think that gives him an edge over Saia. If he can transfer those moments into a 50-60min performance then IMO he should be our starting hooker.

Where does everyone think CFS will start the season off? There seems to be a bit on conjecture on here about what the Reds best centre pairing would be. Personally I'd like to see 12. Fainga'a 13. CFS with Taps coming on for the last 20mins for either of those two. Of course in the latter stages of the year i'd also love to see Samu Kervei getting a crack but thats also the GPS supporter in me...

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure who I prefer between Hansen and Fainga'a. Fainga'a seems to be stronger at the breakdown and probably more effective in general in defense. Im interested to see who performs better this year.

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
If my memory serves,

Browning
- 3 years of schoolboy representation. Captained his school and state twice at schoolboy level.
- Aus schools Vice-captain when in year 11, Captain in last year of school
- 2 years of 20's (finishing school a year late I think) Captained 20's in 2nd year. Won U/20 player of the year once.
- Captained premier grade in first year out of school at 19 I think.

Gill
- Captained school side, vice-captain queensland side and captained (at least partly) Australian schools. Won the bronze boot against NZ schools (if you want to read the list of winners http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=176353, it's pretty impressive reading.)
- 3 years of U/20 selection, though didnt play in 2nd year because reds needed him (2011). Captained the side once.
- at least 1 (maybe 2) seasons of 7's (debut as a 17 year old).
- Premier grade debut as a 17 year old.

Quirk
- Australian schools. Bronze Boot winner
- 2 years of 20's, with 2nd season affected by shoulder injury
- Premier grade debut as 18 year old

Schatz
- 2 years in 20's. Captain in 2nd year (2010?)
- Premier grade debut at 8, captained Sunnybank at 19 or 20.
- Has captained the reds 2nd XV I think a few times.

Obviously all the boys have talent and leadership potential in our current back row based on their rugby history ("pedigree")

Where is room for the generation coming through like Michael Gunn, Connor Mitchell, Lolo Fakaosilea and Brad Wilken.

You may have to let a Quirk or Schatz go to a Rebels or Force or overseas.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
[Not to the point: but is Wilkin recovered from his surgery?]

I've seen Gunn, Big Faka and Wilkin play and they were superb at the Schools level but let's see these lads first, selected, and second, play, in the semi-pro NRC, with and against good players, before we decide how good they may be as professionals later and will have trouble getting a spot, or not.

I'm not saying these particular 18- or 19-year-old players are duds, but one thing I like about the upcoming NRC is that it will sort a lot of lads out.

There is a big catalogue of items to check off and they include how the players deal with adversity, coaching staff, team mates, referees, fatigue and 50 other things that they have not experienced at the senior level.

And let's see them in the Oz U/20s first anyway.

If they are good enough on the field and off the field they will make it.

As JBP said: "Don't you worry about that."

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
[Not to the point: but is Wilkin recovered from his surgery?]

I've seen Gunn, Big Faka and Wilkin play and they were superb at the Schools level but let's see these lads first, selected, and second, play, in the semi-pro NRC, with and against good players, before we decide how good they may be as professionals later and will have trouble getting a spot, or not.

I'm not saying these particular 18- or 19-year-old players are duds, but one thing I like about the upcoming NRC is that it will sort a lot of lads out.

There is a big catalogue of items to check off and they include how the players deal with adversity, coaching staff, team mates, referees, fatigue and 50 other things that they have not experienced at the senior level.

And let's see them in the Oz U/20s first anyway.

If they are good enough on the field and off the field they will make it.

As JBP said: "Don't you worry about that."
The point I was trying to make is that the current crop at the Reds are all roughly the same age with long futures in front of them. If they stay together there could be a potential missing champion or possible generation. Some turnover is good but wholesale turnover is not.

T

TOCC

Wayne Bennett when at the Broncos made a rule that each season there had to be a minimum 10-20% turnover in players(I can't remember the exact figure), but he said it was good for injecting fresh blood and attitudes into the camp and encouraging competition for starting places..

Given the salary cap and playing opportunities in Australian rugby, no team will keep all their up and coming talent, some will recognise the competition in front of them as opposed to easier avenues at other provinces and some will realise their true value is able to be afforded elsewhere.

It's not always a bad thing given that all these players are Wallaby candidates and may strengthen the Wallaby depth overall. I think some turnover is good and often necessary to maintain a fresh train of thought and excitement amongst the training group.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Where is room for the generation coming through like Michael Gunn, Connor Mitchell, Lolo Fakaosilea and Brad Wilken.

In my opinion (having seen all of those young fellas, and the current crop play at school and club at various times), none of that younger crop are as good or mature as their older counterparts were at their age. That's not to say they won't improve and be good enough for super rugby mind you. I think all those blokes have that potential, but I don't think and of them are likely to "emerge" and unseat the 4 boys we already have in the stable. We probably have the best crop of back rowers under 24/25 in Super rugby, so for a young bloke I would be looking for opportunities in Melbourne or Canberra. We may keep one or two, and if we do I hope it's Gunn. He's great

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Actually I'll toss one out there from a little left of centre. I watched Malouf play for uni for a while, and he currently is an important member of the sevens squad. It's unfortunate he didn't play more club rugby last year in the finals due to sevens commitments. If I was a Super Rugby side I'd look at signing him up straight away. I think he is at least as good as Gunn (who is excellent), just an incredibly skillful player

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
maybe he should have a blue - UFC style. QC (Quade Cooper) got $200K for fight No. 1 but dunno what fight No. 2 netted him.

great to see heaps if intensity - there are a couple of blokes competing hard for LHP. Whoever gets the start and continues to play well gets the box seat for the rest of season 2014

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Fuck that. Rather have a tried and provan pklayer who has worked his way up the ranks - keep Gilly, Jake and Quirk - let the younger blokes go to Rebs or Force to make their bones.

Qld (and NSW) can never keep all the young players they produce.

T

tranquility

Fuck that. Rather have a tried and provan pklayer who has worked his way up the ranks - keep Gilly, Jake and Quirk - let the younger blokes go to Rebs or Force to make their bones.

Qld (and NSW) can never keep all the young players they produce.

Exactly the right, and lets be honest, only possible attitude the Reds can have.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If the 3 incumbents were 28 it may be a different story. They have 8 years easy left at the top if they continue performing. Lots of very good young schoolboys will come through the system in that time and may have to go elsewhere. It is more likely that one or two of the incumbents become unaffordable and move on eg Higgers.

T

tranquility

If the 3 incumbents were 28 it may be a different story. They have 8 years easy left at the top if they continue performing. Lots of very good young schoolboys will come through the system in that time and may have to go elsewhere. It is more likely that one or two of the incumbents become unaffordable and move on eg Higgers.

Precisely.

The point is not that those three or even four players are not replaceable, the point is that those youngsters should have to earn the right to be spoken about in the same sentence. Making them take the jumper from the incumbent. Browning will be looking to do it this year, and hopefully a few others will be too. Daley will be looking to get that loosehead spot back. Plenty of congestion in the backline too.

T

TOCC

Precisely.

The point is not that those three or even four players are not replaceable, the point is that those youngsters should have to earn the right to be spoken about in the same sentence. Making them take the jumper from the incumbent. Browning will be looking to do it this year, and hopefully a few others will be too. Daley will be looking to get that loosehead spot back. Plenty of congestion in the backline too.

the great thing about the situation is that none of the players have a mortgage on their jersey, competition for spots ensures that players avoid becoming complacent rather they continually try to improve on their last performance.

There really is only 5 maybe 6 players in the team who you could say are definite starters: Slipper, Simmons, Horwill, Genia, Cooper are the definite starters, everyone else has some pretty strong competition for their spot.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) to the Reds ??????? All the senior players said no at big dollars. Think only the Force would admit being interested and at a greatly reduced rate of pay.

If the pay cut is agreeable to O'Conner he may be a strategic and very cost effective signing for the Reds. Am sure he would rather play for a top Australian franchise than one that continually has to struggle.

Would also think that the senior players at Ballymore wouldn't put up with his previous shit.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
only a "whisper" that Reds may be interested - not from JOC (James O'Connor)'s camp - that part is purely speculation.

On that basis however, probably all teams would be interested (except Rebels) if he was bargain bargain basement $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.