• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

From memory, wasn't Flatley the first rugby player in Australia to have a full professional contract straight out of school?

I seem to remember that was quoted a few times, the second player to receive such a contract at the Reds was winger Caleb Brown

T

Train Without a Station

I know that's what I've heard multiple times. But I'm sure it helped that he was an out of school prodigy in the first year of professional rugby.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
and hopefully will have a long long career - sometimes I wionder if these talented young fellas may fall by the wayside early in years but late in number of games. - something about talented young bodies stepping up very early

T

tranquility

I think that bloke will be wearing the red seven for a very long time to come. Probably with a letter in brackets after his name at some point too.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Flats somewhat benefited by the retirement of Lynagh in 95. So QLD was looking for a flyhalf in 96 and Flats was a Nudgee and Brothers boy, which suited Knuckles, but also had the benefit of having Horan, Little and Horan outside him. Very talented player, no doubt however.

Was that Frank Horan, or Sid Horan:)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know if he is the second coming, but I think he will captain Queensland, and sooner than we think, also.

Lee, would you pick Gill as the most likely of the Reds current crop of young players to take over the captaincy from the current regime of horwill/genia? There are lots of potential candidates. Im personally a fan of Hansen being the next in line once he regains fitness and form and secures a starting position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Im personally a fan of Hansen being the next in line once he regains fitness and form and secures a starting position.

Is that likely to happen though anytime soon? Fainga'a has far better pedigree and whilst they are quite different players I'd say that Fainga'a had his best season for a long time in 2013 (particularly at Wallaby level) and Hanson went backwards due to injury.

I can't see a player whose chance of a regular starting spot is tenuous at best being next in line to be captain.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is that likely to happen though anytime soon? Fainga'a has far better pedigree and whilst they are quite different players I'd say that Fainga'a had his best season for a long time in 2013 (particularly at Wallaby level) and Hanson went backwards due to injury.

I can't see a player whose chance of a regular starting spot is tenuous at best being next in line to be captain.

I can't disagree with you that Saia's form on the back end of 2013 was some of his best, but if my memory serves me right haven't the twins been sitting on 1-year contracts for a few seasons? Not trying to say the Reds will willingly let them leave but it seems to me they aren't in the long term picture which I believe Hanson is. Pre-injury I believe Hanson had the edge over Fainga'a so it will be interesting to see what has happened over the offseason.

T

TOCC

I think future captaincy candidates are Slipper, Gill and Browning..Not necessarily in that order but I do think Slipper is currently just behind Genia and Horwill and on par with Quade in the leadership team.

Slipper Is well spoken, Gill seems one of those extremely down to earth type blokes and Browning has the 'pedigree' and is genuinely a good bloke.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee, would you pick Gill as the most likely of the Reds current crop of young players to take over the captaincy from the current regime of horwill/genia?

I agree with TOCC about the potential of Browning, but I think Gill will be captain two years from now—and I wouldn't be surprised if his big rival, Michael Hooper, is the Tahs' captain then also.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would like Slipper to be captain, it would allow a forward to talk to the ref about what is actually happening and I think Slippers work rate would make him an inspirational leader for the team.

If Gill was to be captain would he get the same benefit of the doubt that Ritchie gets when captain of the crusaders and NZ?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Slipper Is well spoken, Gill seems one of those extremely down to earth type blokes and Browning has the 'pedigree' and is genuinely a good bloke.

Gilly just needs to make sure he culls that mane before he takes up the big C! We can't have our captain flicking his headback to get rid of the hair in his eyes whilst giving an interview!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agreed there are many good candidates around.

I just don't think we can make any assumptions about who will be around in Australian Rugby (let alone QLD Rugby) after the RWC in 2015. I'm predicting a mass exodus given the lack of ARU cash.

Our leading candidates may all be overseas come 2016.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
On topic (only just) but on a slight side note, what is this 'pedigree' that people speak of? It's been mentioned a couple of times above and I've never fully understood what is meant by it in a Rugby context. Does it refer to one's bloodline? Rugby club? School? Or something else?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@Scoey - I used the term pedigree in relation to Saia Fainga'a in reference to his 29 tests and 90 odd Super Rugby games.

I know pedigree literally refers to breeding/ancestry however I wasn't using it to mean that and I don't think it is generally used that way in a sporting sense (unless we're talking about racehorses).

Mostly I meant that all things being equal, he is likely to get picked ahead of Hanson on the basis of his standing in Australian rugby.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks @Braveheart81 That makes sense to me. The more curious use of the term was when @TOCC was describing Browning. It's also a term that I heard a bit when I was younger in the Brisbane Club scene. I was told on a couple of occasions that I could've gone further with my Rugby if I had the right pedigree and I never knew what they meant. It didn't matter much at the time though because I didn't have any Rugby in my family, I didn't go to a school known for it's Rugby prowess and I wasn't a member of any of the bigger clubs. So I just kept doing what I was doing and enjoying my footy. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.