• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I checked each team, here's the players with 40+ caps and have only played for one team:
Reds: Greg Holmes, James Slipper, James Hanson, James Horwill, Rob Summons, Liam Gill, Jake Schatz, Will Genia, Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas, Ben Tapuai, Rod Davies, TOTAL: 12

Waratahs: Sekope Kepu, Benn Robinson, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Kane Douglas, Dave Dennis, Wycliff Palu, Rob Horne, TOTAL: 7

Force: Pek Cowan, Kieran Longbottom, Nathan Charles, Sam Wykes, Ben McCalman, Nick Cummins, TOTAL: 6

Brumbies: Ben Alexander, Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano, Pat McCabe, Henry Speight, TOTAL: 5

Rebels: Hugh Pyle, Lachlan Mitchell, TOTAL: 2

I think you might of forgotton Ben Daley. 57 Super Rugby Caps.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not all at the Reds but Saia should also rack up 100 caps this year.

The rugby buzz is really sinking in now. Can't wait.

T

TOCC

Players to reach the 100's club in 2014:
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
James Horwill
Saia Fainga'a(27 caps for Brumbies)

50's club
Liam Gill
Ben Tapuai

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Players to reach the 100's club in 2014:
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
James Horwill
Saia Fainga'a(27 caps for Brumbies)

50's club
Liam Gill
Ben Tapuai

Wow. Liam Gill must be close to setting some sort of a record for 50 Super15 games at his young age.
Anyone know of other players as young who have acheived 50 caps?

T

Train Without a Station

Michael Hooper has 46 caps at 22 years of age (turns 23 in October).
Debuted in 2010 - 11.5 Caps per season since debut.

Quade Cooper has 88 caps at 25 years of age (turns 26 in April). Debuted in 2007 - 12.5 Caps per season since debut.

Kurtley Beale has 82 caps at 25 years of age. Debuted in 2007 - 11.7 Caps per season since debut

Liam Gill has 41 caps at 21 years of age (turns 22 in June). Debuted in 2011 - 13.6 Caps per season since debut

I was a bit sceptical eumarse, but he certainly appears to be up there. Consider games missed with injury I'd say Quade would have given him a run for his money though. We also need to consider that with a longer season, players will hit milestones earlier and play more games. In this current format, I'm sure Elton Flatley would have racked up 50 games at a rapid rate for example.

Reactions: BDA
T

Train Without a Station

USARugger, according to Wikipedia, JOC (James O'Connor) only had 38 caps for the Force, with 21 at the Rebels in his 2 seasons. He only averaged about 9.5 Caps per season in fact.

T

Train Without a Station

Sorry I misread and thought you said he had 50 caps for the Force. Clearly you did not however. Based on the rate he compiled the caps I think he would have been behind Beale, Quade and Pocock though. Consider most of them missed the most games in the last 2 seasons.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sorry I misread and thought you said he had 50 caps for the Force. Clearly you did not however. Based on the rate he compiled the caps I think he would have been behind Beale, Quade and Pocock though. Consider most of them missed the most games in the last 2 seasons.

If you're measuring games:season then JOCs debut season for the Force would throw those figures off a bit, I think he only played 3 or 4 games for them that year. Obviously as you said, injury is a factor across the board.

T

Train Without a Station

I could be a little off the mark, however my recollection is JOC (James O'Connor) has had injury interrupted seasons for at least 3 or more of the seasons of his career, both at the Rebels and at least one at the Force, which really would have stretched out the time until his 50th cap.

Beale, Cooper and Pocock on the other hand all seemed to play most games of most seasons until 2012 when they all missed large chunks from there going forward, which would have been after their 50th caps.

When you consider how many games Quade missed in 2012, I think he must have reached 50 pretty damn quick to be at 88 now.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There is a lot more rugby in a season now though.

All those Reds players listed to it the 100 mark have all had major injury setbacks at one point or another, so a big bloody congratutions on them getting there.

I look forward to having my arse camped in front of the TV when they reach those milestones.

My brother was on XXXX hill the night that Chris Latham chalked up his hundred vs the Lions and he said it was an awsome experience.

T

Train Without a Station

Racking up 100 caps playing primarily in the Super 12 era when there was also only 3 teams is really a monumental effort.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't you mean pre-Super 12 era? I am not sure when Stan Pilecki's debut was but he played off the bench for QLD v the Lions in 1971. He obviously went on the 1984 Grand Slam tour as well.That's at least 14 years of 'elite' rugby - do that now and he'd be over 250 caps (if he could survive that long)!

T

Train Without a Station

Well Pre-Super 12 it would be even greater of course. When you consider the lack of fixtures it certainly makes it harder to compare doesn't it.

I was just saying that playing 11 game regular seasons, guys like Flatley and Latham certainly had a tougher time racking up 88 caps than Quade. I just find it a little more impressive that Flatley was basically capped straight out of school, when you consider the competition for spots. Latham had to move to QLD to get game time.

In the current 5 team environment with longer seasons there's a lot more players making it to 50 caps who may not have had the longevity or the ability to do so in the Super 12 era, or to play for 5+ consecutive seasons in the era you refer to Reg.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In the current 5 team environment with longer seasons there's a lot more players making it to 50 caps who may not have had the longevity or the ability to do so in the Super 12 era, or to play for 5+ consecutive seasons in the era you refer to Reg.

Someone like Nic Henderson is probably a good example of this. It's hard to imagine him getting 119 Super Rugby caps without their being five Aussie teams.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Don't you mean pre-Super 12 era? I am not sure when Stan Pilecki's debut was but he played off the bench for QLD v the Lions in 1971. He obviously went on the 1984 Grand Slam tour as well.That's at least 14 years of 'elite' rugby - do that now and he'd be over 250 caps (if he could survive that long)!

longivty is the real indicator of greatness - the question how judged

YEARS or GAMES or maybe a combination of both.

I don't believe any player could play 250 games in his career whether over 5 years or 15. Physically impossible EXCEPT for a fine figure of a man named STAN

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well Pre-Super 12 it would be even greater of course. When you consider the lack of fixtures it certainly makes it harder to compare doesn't it.

I was just saying that playing 11 game regular seasons, guys like Flatley and Latham certainly had a tougher time racking up 88 caps than Quade. I just find it a little more impressive that Flatley was basically capped straight out of school, when you consider the competition for spots. Latham had to move to QLD to get game time.

Flats somewhat benefited by the retirement of Lynagh in 95. So QLD was looking for a flyhalf in 96 and Flats was a Nudgee and Brothers boy, which suited Knuckles, but also had the benefit of having Horan, Little and Horan outside him. Very talented player, no doubt however.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Flats somewhat benefited by the retirement of Lynagh in 95. So QLD was looking for a flyhalf in 96 and Flats was a Nudgee and Brothers boy, which suited Knuckles, but also had the benefit of having Horan, Little and Horan outside him. Very talented player, no doubt however.

From memory, wasn't Flatley the first rugby player in Australia to have a full professional contract straight out of school?

Status
Not open for further replies.