• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think future captaincy candidates are Slipper, Gill and Browning..Not necessarily in that order but I do think Slipper is currently just behind Genia and Horwill and on par with Quade in the leadership team.

Slipper Is well spoken, Gill seems one of those extremely down to earth type blokes and Browning has the 'pedigree' and is genuinely a good bloke.

TOCC agree re:

1. Horwill 2. Genia and 3. Slipper - Gilly would be some distance behind those 3.

Fuck, Browning has heaps and heaps of potential (has shown that from under 15's) BUT at least the kid needs to make the side as a benchie on a regular basis, then be a regular starter, then a certain starter, play the fucking house down, gain the respect of the team as well as the coaches and THEN he is worth considering - just a tad too early for me

T

TOCC

Thanks @Braveheart81 That makes sense to me. The more curious use of the term was when @TOCC was describing Browning. It's also a term that I heard a bit when I was younger in the Brisbane Club scene. I was told on a couple of occasions that I could've gone further with my Rugby if I had the right pedigree and I never knew what they meant. It didn't matter much at the time though because I didn't have any Rugby in my family, I didn't go to a school known for it's Rugby prowess and I wasn't a member of any of the bigger clubs. So I just kept doing what I was doing and enjoying my footy. ;-)

Well in the literal sense he is the grandson of Dick Mark's, a great Wallaby and still a very large figure in the rugby union old boys network, but thats not entirely what i was referring to. In this situation when I say pedigree i mean that up until this point in his career everything he has done, his performances, subsequent selections and accolades in various teams are all ticking the right boxes.. Now don't think that i knew these off the top of my head, i had to google them:

-Queensland Schoolboys player of the year in 2010 and 2011, Elton Flatley is the only other player to receive it twice.
-Australian Schoolboys for 3 years running and captained them in his third year defeating the New Zealand schoolboys(3rd most capped Australian Schoolboy).
- Australia U20's in 2012 & 2013, won the Australian U20 player of the year both years and captained the side in 2013
-Captained the UQ Premier Grade side when only 19yrs old.

Pedigree might not be the right word if you want to get into the semantics of the term, but i think its probably the most fitting in this scenario ;)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shatzy looks like he has put some bulk on over the off season. Or is that just me forgetting how big he was?

Liam scares me. I keep forgetting that he is only 21. Well nearly 22. I have been watching him play for so long that it feels like he has been around for years. Browning is going to be the same.

T

Train Without a Station

I think any talk of Browning as captain is seriously getting far too carried away. As mentioned, he may not even make the 23 this year, or even next for that matter considering they've got 4 good, experienced loosies all with their own pros to offer. In addition, 1 of them captained Aus U/20's (Gill did, didn't he?) and the other Captained his premier grade team as a 20 year old (Shatz).

It's one thing to predict perhaps a tight forward, or a super star playmaker with leadership qualities, as quality players in these positions are always somewhat rare in Australia (Still lamenting lack of quality props, not to long ago it was locks and playmakers). It's another to predict a player who plays in arguably the most competitive position of any team, which already has a back row all under 23 with massively bright futures ahead of them.

T

Train Without a Station

Could not agree more. Fucking sick to death about hearing how bright Gill and Browning's futures are as if they are the first talented schoolboy players to progress to the professional ranks.

Firstly, they get undue credit because people look for a reason to pump them up (Got sick to death of hearing Gill credited with Beau's work in 2011).

Secondly, when they don't immediately live up to the unrealistic expectation set they are hammered by all in sundry (Cooper and Beale for example), when really, in time they will develop quite well.

Of course there are once in a generation players, but I'm pretty sure they don't come along every year.

T

TOCC

Just relax would you, there's nothing wrong with talking about a players past accolades and his future potential, he is a full contracted member of the squad who has already debut'd so it's not as though we are talking about a schoolboy(I won't engage those conversations) .. No one in here is suggesting he should be the starting number 8 this year, to be frank the discussion has been fairly centred with suggestion he will get game time off the bench and rotate through with other players.

The captain comment was made in regards to the future, not 2014 or 2015.

T

Train Without a Station

My comments were more so about the widespread media to be honest. Or as widespread as rugby gets these days anyway.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I wish we would just let the young talent develop into their potential rather than build them up to be the next big thing.
They need to tame their managers and not take up nearly a page of the paper raving about how they are going to be the next national captain.
The hard yards need to be done and it is tough to just make the field without worrying about captaining your Countries team.

T

tranquility

How many future Wallaby Captains are playing for the Reds at the moment?

Quite a few all things considered.

On a the back of a very successful period of QLD school rugby, where we have dominated despite being a year younger than the other states, it is only to be expected that there will be many young kids with large hopes placed on their shoulders. Of all the kids targeted for contracts I would say only PAE and Butler have slipped through the cracks. All of the other standout juniors are on the books.

Whether that form translates to senior rugby is another thing all together.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If my memory serves,

Browning
- 3 years of schoolboy representation. Captained his school and state twice at schoolboy level.
- Aus schools Vice-captain when in year 11, Captain in last year of school
- 2 years of 20's (finishing school a year late I think) Captained 20's in 2nd year. Won U/20 player of the year once.
- Captained premier grade in first year out of school at 19 I think.

Gill
- Captained school side, vice-captain queensland side and captained (at least partly) Australian schools. Won the bronze boot against NZ schools (if you want to read the list of winners http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=176353, it's pretty impressive reading.)
- 3 years of U/20 selection, though didnt play in 2nd year because reds needed him (2011). Captained the side once.
- at least 1 (maybe 2) seasons of 7's (debut as a 17 year old).
- Premier grade debut as a 17 year old.

Quirk
- Australian schools. Bronze Boot winner
- 2 years of 20's, with 2nd season affected by shoulder injury
- Premier grade debut as 18 year old

Schatz
- 2 years in 20's. Captain in 2nd year (2010?)
- Premier grade debut at 8, captained Sunnybank at 19 or 20.
- Has captained the reds 2nd XV I think a few times.

Obviously all the boys have talent and leadership potential in our current back row based on their rugby history ("pedigree")

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
PAE will be back. Hooker is good for a few years but front prop depth is a worry. Holmes will be 31 this year and will likely be calling it a day next season.

LHP - Daley needs to have a big season and show improvement in the scrum, very interested to see how Anae performs.
THP - Slipper, daylight, Holmes, daylight, Owen.

With the extra prop on the bench I wonder what combination they will go with. You can lock in Slipper and the choice between Hanson and Fainga'a is a good problem to have. Holmes is needed to cover the TH side so is prob going to be better on the bench so Slipper isn't needed to play 80 every week. Anae spent a lot of time around the national setup and his strength in the scrums should be a big plus, would give him first go.

3. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
1. Anae

16. Hanson
17. Daley
18. Holmes

The scrums in general will be interesting as teams come to terms with the new engage. They will have had plenty of time to practise with them but until players are on the park we won't really know how any of the front row units will fare.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
3. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
1. Anae

16. Hanson
17. Daley
18. Holmes

The scrums in general will be interesting as teams come to terms with the new engage. They will have had plenty of time to practise with them but until players are on the park we won't really know how any of the front row units will fare.

With Slipper, Fainga'a, and to a lesser degree, Anae, you have a front row that has trained & played internationally in the new engage.
If you put them back to the previous situation, the upfront push,they would probably have to readjust.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You guys better be careful with Hanson. The Force and Tahs pushed pretty hard to sign him last year and I think he was pretty tempted. He's a better player than Fainga'a (IMHO) and should be considered 3rd in line behind Moore and TPN to the Wallabies hooker role. If he isn't starting more than half the time, he might move on. Pretty sure he only re-signed with the Reds for 1 year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I think hanson is more physical than saia - Saia's low defence is awesome but Hanson is a bit more robust in attack.
he had a fairly serious neck injury last year so hopefully he is FULLY recovered. After a few games I reckon Hanson will be the starter with Saia coming on in last 20

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Saia will start. He has more experience and an incumbent Wallaby squad position will also work in his favor. I think Chibba will have his work cut out for him trying to unseat him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Saia will start. He has more experience and an incumbent Wallaby squad position will also work in his favor. I think Chibba will have his work cut out for him trying to unseat him.

Agree Saia will start but only for the first few games (IMO). TReckon Hanson will be a bit of an attacking weapon as the season unfolds. Saia is a known quanity (and good), whereas Hanson has yet to reach consistent top performance week in and out.

2014 will be a breakout year (again, IMHO) for Hanson and will be in line for a Wallaby callup

T

tranquility

I love the bit when they say; "Dales loves a scrap. He would have been 1.03 get into it with someone by the end of the session."

Reactions: BDA
Status
Not open for further replies.