• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Make the walk from the Caxton to the stadium and let people know about it on Facebook, Instagram ect. Also make it so you can buy tickets at the gate for it, I go to every game with the boys but sometimes one of us can't make it etc so we always get tickets there

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
They had the drums and tried doing a walk to the game from Roma St Parklands. I must say it is an easier sell if the team is a chance of winning.

Random I know but

Bring back a serious good looking professional cheer squad (like the Saffas). There is nothing demeaning sexist or any of that other political correctness bullshit - just pure entertainment value for the fans.

Everytime i watch the Dallas Cowboys cheer squad I think it is wonderfull entertainment that adds to the spectacle of the event.

T

TOCC

Random I know but

Bring back a serious good looking professional cheer squad (like the Saffas). There is nothing demeaning sexist or any of that other political correctness bullshit - just pure entertainment value for the fans.

Everytime i watch the Dallas Cowboys cheer squad I think it is wonderfull entertainment that adds to the spectacle of the event.

NFL has forces stoppages in play which suits having cheerleaders as they are able to perform routines during these times.... Rugby has stoppages obviously, but I'm not sure a cheerleader routine is suitable whilst lining up for a kick or packing a scrum..

As for the PC component, the perception is that it objectifies women, which from a corporate and marketing perspective fails to fit in with the 'family image' of rugby union they are trying to sell..

I personally don't care if they come back or not, I'm not there to watch cheerleaders and at halftime I'm going to the bar and toilet.. But I think the dance troupe 'Academy of Brothers' run by former Reds player Charlie Fetoia is a better addition, it appeals to the younger kids and the whole concept is for a good cause.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
NFL has forces stoppages in play which suits having cheerleaders as they are able to perform routines during these times.. Rugby has stoppages obviously, but I'm not sure a cheerleader routine is suitable whilst lining up for a kick or packing a scrum..

As for the PC component, the perception is that it objectifies women, which from a corporate and marketing perspective fails to fit in with the 'family image' of rugby union they are trying to sell..

I personally don't care if they come back or not, I'm not there to watch cheerleaders and at halftime I'm going to the bar and toilet.. But I think the dance troupe 'Academy of Brothers' run by former Reds player Charlie Fetoia is a better addition, it appeals to the younger kids and the whole concept is for a good cause.

There are more than enough stoppages in rugby for Cheerleaders to pop up and bounce around for 20 seconds and then disappear again as the Kiwi, Saffa and French teams have proven.

The Reds could even bring back the gymnasts they had flipping around in Red Morphsuits at the 2011 Grand Final. Just something to bring a bit of extra excitement to the atmosphere.

But I would prefer Scrubber's approach of introducing a genuine cheersquad into the mix. They could even plonk them in front of Spik's Student/Party Animal Zone....

T

Train Without a Station

Reds team listed for chiefs trial.

1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Shatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Harris
13. Tapuai
14. Shipperly
15. Toua

Reserves:
Holmes, Anae, Owen, O'Donoghue, Enever, McDuling, Browning, Frisby, Kuridrani, Kerevei, Feauai-Sautia, Davies, Placid.

Is this a pretty good indication of what the first choice team may look like? A couple of players like Ant Fainga'a, James Hanson and Beau Robinson appear to be omitted, I'm assuming through injury.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds Cheer.jpg
XXXX Angels.jpg

The Reds used to have some great cheerleaders. Happy to have them back or they could get the XXXX Angels. This they would be a good addition to game day.

Could also add some push up guys or gymnasts.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Last time I spoke to Ant he was not going to be back playing until May.

Beau had should surgery recently so not sure when he will be back. Also not sure about Chibba.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds team listed for chiefs trial.

1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Quirk
7. Gill
8. Shatz
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Turner
12. Harris
13. Tapuai
14. Shipperly
15. Toua

Reserves:
Holmes, Anae, Owen, O'Donoghue, Enever, McDuling, Browning, Frisby, Kuridrani, Kerevei, Feauai-Sautia, Davies, Placid.

Is this a pretty good indication of what the first choice team may look like? A couple of players like Ant Fainga'a, James Hanson and Beau Robinson appear to be omitted, I'm assuming through injury.

I'm not sure if this post or my last one is getting me more excited. Nice looking team.

T

Train Without a Station

Cheers Reg, I assumed that's why those 3 are out.

Does anybody see Toua holding down the 15 jersey? I've heard plenty of positive talk about him, but I've also seen him pop up in Super Rugby for about 4 years without really making an impact. I can't help but think our best team will have Turner/Harris at FB and possibly Davies or CFS on a wing.

T

Train Without a Station

Jets, that's the exact type of comment I've heard multiple people make about him, yet I've watched just about every game he has played for the Reds and I can't say he has left an impression on me at all. In fact last stint he had there I thought he was not up to the standard at all.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just think a great cheer squad BEFORE the kick off and at HALF TIME would just add entertainment value to the overall experience.

Not all do a sprint to the bar TOCC - but tyhat adds entertainment for you (and me, by the way). Does it follow that we should absolutely ban alcohol from games (because it promotes the consumption of a legal drug to all and may influence kiddies to join the culture sooner or later) Something about a long bow.

Personally i think the 'Academy of Brothers" is a fantastic concept but its "entertainment" value is woeful

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jets, that's the exact type of comment I've heard multiple people make about him, yet I've watched just about every game he has played for the Reds and I can't say he has left an impression on me at all. In fact last stint he had there I thought he was not up to the standard at all.

he's played 4 games for the Reds. One off the bench, 2 at outside centre and one at fullback. Harsh to judge him on that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think Aiden is special - can be the most elusive player at Ballmore - have watched the bloke since school BUT HE NEEDS AN INJURY FREE RUN TO REALLY SHOW HIS SKILLS AND VALUE - good luck to him - If he plays well and stays fit he will lock down 15

T

Train Without a Station

They weren't all in the same season were they Reg?

I initially paid attention to him when a mate talked up to me as a player that was really going to shine, but I was sure I'd already seen him at the Reds prior to that, and the name sounded familiar.

Edit: Just looked up his bio. It was 5 games over 3 seasons. I still stand by my comment of him not really impressing me at all, but hopefully I'll be wrong.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Forwards - I have no idea about... except that when you have Quirk, Gill, Shatz, Browning and Robinson in your squad... thats probably the best back row unit running around in Super Rugby. Youth with experience and agression and mobility. They hate their bodies. Perfect mix.

Backs - I cant see Harry staying at 12 at all. QC (Quade Cooper) can kick goals and I think there are others in the squad that offer more on attack and defence than Harry. Will be a handy bench player - covering a few postions etc.

Would like to see CFS and Kerevei/Kuridrani in the midfield. Strong, agressive, enthusiastic, agile. Maybe questions over defence? Maybe CFS and Taps could be the combination if Ant is out for a while??

JJ will be an excitement machine from the back when he gets a run, but Toua deserves a shot for now. JJ will grow in the environment and should hopefully get a run or two this season, but will become more regular over the next 2-3 seasons.

Shipperly wont last, same as Harry, solid, but lacking in that spark at the moment. He will be running around in the Butchers stripes for most of this season... but happy to eat my words if he proves me wrong.

Turner should have 1 wing locked up, handy to have the experience there if the other 2 of the back 3 arent etc. Davies should fight his way back onto the wing but it will be good to see these youngsters have a crack.... Placid, JJ, Mataitini :)

As a back, we all know games are won and lost in the forwards, they do well, we all do well, and I think the Reds have the added bonus of consistency in selections over the last season or two which has developed experience at this level to be a formidable force all across the park in 2014.

Blues will still win it though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.