• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

The interview the other day sounded promising... Apparently Turner is training very well, Aidan Toua has been one of the best trainers all pre-season, Dominic Shipperly is back to full fitness and Rodney Davies is ahead of where they expected him to be in rehab..

If you throw in CFS and some of the new recruits there is a fair bit of competition for the outside backs, Lachlan Turner is looking like a fantastic signing in just his experience alone, I'm confident on the end of a Genia-Cooper back line he will get the form to warrant Wallaby selection again in 2014.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
As well as what @Eyes and Ears has said above about the outside backs, I am concerned about our scrum which seems to not be as big a priority as I would have liked over recent years with Link looking for mobility and more dynamic players over strong scrummagers. Slipper will be better for his experience in the Wallaby program and the EOYT Tests but who will be the other starting prop? Is Holmes still around?
I have so much time for Ben Daley as a bloke and a player around the park but am never that confident at scrum time with him on for some reason. The guy gives everything he has but I'm not sure that's enough come scrum time.

Our line out should be quite solid but a strong scrum as well would make our backs jobs a lot easier.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree with that it wasn't a focus, but it never seemed to hold us back too much. The focus on a more mobile pack that was able to consistently secure quick ball to attack off seemed to be quite effective.

Couldn't agree more with your comments on Daley. Everything you want out of a loosehead prop with the exception of scrummaging ability unfortunately.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Daley is an exceptional talent (and individual) who has been constrained by injury over recent years. I don't know what his current status is but believe he has been injury free this off-season. He formed a strong enough front row with Weekes and Fainga'a not too long ago so hope he gets back as he is another back rower around the field and another leader in the team.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm getting quite optimistic about our Super15 chances this year. Why?
Firstly the Reds have the stand out halves combination in the competition, especially the way QC (Quade Cooper) at the pivotal position has been playing, He's going into this season in a better state of mind than I can ever recall. And Wil Genea at the end of the European tour was on the improve.
Also in the boiler room, Horwill has something to prove. He also is coming back in much better shape than the beginning of last year. Ditto for Simmons.
Also Shatz will have a better handle of the No 8 position this year. That seems to be a position that a player grows into - he was unfortunate his injury prevented him from getting a look into the Wallabies last year so he'll have motivation. The same can be said for Gill re motivation. He was kept out of the game by Hooper and would not be happy to be regarded in that role.
I see these guys, along with Slipper who puts 100 minutes of rugby into 80 minutes, as the inspiration for the side.
The first game of the season against the Brumbies should be a cracker so stock up the fridge, and make sure your wife hasn't invited the rellies over for that night (unless they're rugby fans;)) .

I like your optimism Emuarse. For the first game, I think your Reds pack will be hard pressed. IMO, the Brumbies front row is stronger, perhaps barring Slipper, the back row is significantly stronger with Fardy, Pocock and Auelua, the lineout is better with a more consistent thrower as well, and the scrum will finish on top. Beyond that, the Brumbies' halves are not far behind Will and Quade, and the rest of the backline is superior. Brumbies to win.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You're absolutely right, @Train Without A Station. It will be interesting to see what RG comes to the table with this year.

If I could have just one wish for the Reds granted moving forward this year it would be that we work hard on coming up with something new.
Since 2011 we haven't really surprised any of the other teams. Yes, we've been doing what we do well and it's still been working, but our opposition generally knows what's coming and can work to counter it as best they can.
I think our biggest threat in 2011 was that no one saw us coming until it was too late.

I certainly don't want us to abandon what we have developed but I wish to see us grow and evolve more than we have.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Daley is an exceptional talent (and individual) who has been constrained by injury over recent years. I don't know what his current status is but believe he has been injury free this off-season. He formed a strong enough front row with Weekes and Fainga'a not too long ago so hope he gets back as he is another back rower around the field and another leader in the team.

Great news about his off season! I did not know about the injury concerns (apart from the scalping in the gym) so that explains a lot. He was a good prop a few years back but it seemed to me at least that others got bigger and stronger while his development seemed to stall. So this would explain a lot. I agree his leadership on the field is quite valuable - he is a guy that others will follow into the fray time and time again.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes Scoey. Definitely also important to consider that pack model was developed by Link based on what he had in the squad at the time, being the best way to work with it. Doesn't mean we need to continue like that by default.

For example with Holmes and Hansen we should be a stronger scrummaging unit.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like your optimism Emuarse. For the first game, I think your Reds pack will be hard pressed. IMO, the Brumbies front row is stronger, perhaps barring Slipper, the back row is significantly stronger with Fardy, Pocock and Auelua, the lineout is better with a more consistent thrower as well, and the scrum will finish on top. Beyond that, the Brumbies' halves are not far behind Will and Quade, and the rest of the backline is superior. Brumbies to win.

I don't like it...... but part of me agrees. But there is also the Red Heart that usually accounts for an extra man. :)

Plus I will be in the Berra for the first game. So winning is the only option for the Reds. :p

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Props in the squad:
Ben Daley
Greg Holmes
Jono Owen
James Slipper
Albert Anae has been listed as hooker but has played prop in 2013 with Reds & BOP.

Currently there are only 3 players offically named in the EPS. While none of these are props, I would expect that at least one of the remaining positions will go to a prop. There also appears to be a spare squad position as there is only 29 named.

On the assumption that we will have game squads of 23 (has this been confirmed?) we will need 4 props per game.

So, we can all assume that, barring injury Slipper will be one of the starting props. Most likely THP. So who will be LHP?

Just a comment about AA - every time I have seen him as prop he has been THP so I would guess that he is being groomed for that role. He is certainly not up to starting yet, IMHO, but some of his work in the ITM Cup last year was good. The other question is, is he going to be left as a hooker? Decision will need to be made soonish.

So, other than an import arriving or someone that has not been 'offically' named those are our options. Does anyone know who else has been training with the squad as prop?

T

TOCC

Well the Reds have brought in another hooker into the wider training squad, plus with Hanson and Fainga'a the squad day hookers i think Albert will be directed to focus on prop moreso in 2014, thats where the most opportunity is for him.

T

TOCC

Players to reach the 100's club in 2014:
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
James Horwill
Saia Fainga'a(27 caps for Brumbies)

50's club
Liam Gill
Ben Tapuai

And i just read on twitter that Quade Cooper is 1 point behind Elton Flatley as the Reds all time leading point-scorer in Super Rugby history.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
some exciting points in this article:

- turner is only 26 years old. Didn't realise he was still so young.
- "He's been really good to the rest of the group in helping them understand certain aspects of back-three play. Obviously the fact he has played 15 Tests and 70 games of Super Rugby underlines his quality."
- "Shipperley is back fully fit, Davies (knee reconstruction) is ahead of our expectations in his recovery and (Aidan) Toua has probably been one of our best in preseason." - from Graham. The Toua news is particularly exciting.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thinking that Toua, Davies & CFS would be good guniea pigs for a human movement study. They seem to always lave some sort of leg injury. Is this because of the way they are built, the way they move or something else?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
A lot of very big question marks about the reds still, so I am still finding it hard to be optimistic at this time.

Excited that it isn't long to go, though.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A lot of very big question marks about the reds still, so I am still finding it hard to be optimistic at this time.

Excited that it isn't long to go, though.

This seems to be the default setting of most Reds fans I know personally coming up to the start of the season! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.