• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw a few weeks ago that Beau Robbo had had shoulder surgery. Not sure what where & how much but I would expect that he might be a bit late back to the charge as well.

T

TOCC

Who's got the inside word, who's the Reds 30th player and there are still 2 positions in the EPS

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fairly sure Phil Kite has one of the EPS spots. Was at a function with some GPS board members a few weeks ago and that was their chat, although could just be pumping up a club player.

Do the Reds still have a marquee international spot? If Robbo is out for a while maybe they're on the lookout for an older foreign backrower or an Australian one. With Samo gone it leaves a very young (although relatively experienced) backrow, most of the guys starting would only be 21-23. Wouldn't be a bad idea having an older head come in.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do the Reds still have a marquee international spot? If Robbo is out for a while maybe they're on the lookout for an older foreign backrower or an Australian one. With Samo gone it leaves a very young (although relatively experienced) backrow, most of the guys starting would only be 21-23. Wouldn't be a bad idea having an older head come in.

Doesn't Ed O'Donoghue take up the marquee spot?

T

TOCC

Stress reaction - on the way to a fracture but not there yet. Getting it early so it's fixed for trials etc.

potentially a nasty injury, I've known people to recover in a matter of weeks with rest and a tailored training structure to manage the ongoing injury, and then I've known others who have taken up to 12months to recover and then suffer a reoccurrence as soon as the training increased again.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My understanding is that he only played a couple of uncapped matches for Ireland which would mean he wouldn't take up the spot.

pretty sure he played for Ireland A? Which would commit him if he did.

Anyway, Beau should be back for the 2nd trial.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
pretty sure he played for Ireland A? Which would commit him if he did.

Anyway, Beau should be back for the 2nd trial.

Ahh fair enough, forgot that was the case. Find it a bit unfair for players who then don't end up cracking the top side, but thats a conversation for another thread...

Im really looking forward to the Ballymore trial game, love that place. Hopefully sell it out.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
My understanding is that he only played a couple of uncapped matches for Ireland which would mean he wouldn't take up the spot.

Pretty sure O'Donoghue is our foreign player due to his Ireland A Caps.

JJ Taulagi is our foreign development player from what I've heard, as he still is a Samoan citizen.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Taulagi is a Kiwi with Samoan heritage (Auckland born and bred), so while he could get a Samoan passport, he has a Kiwi one now.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm getting quite optimistic about our Super15 chances this year. Why?
Firstly the Reds have the stand out halves combination in the competition, especially the way QC (Quade Cooper) at the pivotal position has been playing, He's going into this season in a better state of mind than I can ever recall. And Wil Genea at the end of the European tour was on the improve.
Also in the boiler room, Horwill has something to prove. He also is coming back in much better shape than the beginning of last year. Ditto for Simmons.
Also Shatz will have a better handle of the No 8 position this year. That seems to be a position that a player grows into - he was unfortunate his injury prevented him from getting a look into the Wallabies last year so he'll have motivation. The same can be said for Gill re motivation. He was kept out of the game by Hooper and would not be happy to be regarded in that role.
I see these guys, along with Slipper who puts 100 minutes of rugby into 80 minutes, as the inspiration for the side.
The first game of the season against the Brumbies should be a cracker so stock up the fridge, and make sure your wife hasn't invited the rellies over for that night (unless they're rugby fans;)) .

Status
Not open for further replies.