• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
All sounds fancy but can we just settle for a statue of John Eales out the front of Suncorp at the Caxton St end.

The concept of displaying the heritage is a great idea but the design doesn't excite me.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Just having a look at the membership now. There is also a cotton polo that you can buy as a member too. Looks pretty good. The Reds may end up getting a bit of cash out of me this year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ealesy never played at Suncorp. At least for the reds.

What does that have to do with the rice in China? The place seems to be the home of more than just League these days and why not put a great of Australian and QLD sport on show to partner the statues of the League greats who are there. Actually make it in the famous shape of him holding that RWC above his head.

T

TOCC

I think the 130yrs thing is a good start... It would be odd having a statue of a player who never played at the ground as the first rugby union statue..

So the Reds still short 1 player from the main 30 man squad and another 2 from the EPS squad, any ideas of who's going to be filling these spots.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the 130yrs thing is a good start. It would be odd having a statue of a player who never played at the ground as the first rugby union statue..

Perhaps a statue of Quade would be more appropriate.

I'm only half joking.

T

TOCC

Perhaps a statue of Quade would be more appropriate.

I'm only half joking.

If Quade plays a commanding role in winning the 2015 RWC, if he plays a pivotal roll in guiding he Reds to another 1 or 2 GF appearances over the remainder of his career then he may be considered for a statue.

But in terms of players from the Modern Era, Quade still ranks well down compared to the likes of Tim Horan, Daniel Herbert and John Eales and even then he still has people like Latham, Kefu, Genia and Horwill to contend with.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Quade plays a commanding role in winning the 2015 RWC, if he plays a pivotal roll in guiding he Reds to another 1 or 2 GF appearances over the remainder of his career then he may be considered for a statue.

But in terms of players from the Modern Era, Quade still ranks well down compared to the likes of Tim Horan, Daniel Herbert and John Eales and even then he still has people like Latham, Kefu, Genia and Horwill to contend with.
Apart from Genia and Horwill the other players have retired so he might surpass them eventually. He is being compared to entire careers.

I am sure if he wins a couple more Super Rugby titles and maybe a world cup or 2 he will be highly thought of.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Despite him still being on the upward trajectory, I think we should refrain from ever mentioning Cooper in the same breath as Eales or Horan.

Things will get a little crazy in here.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it's not right to put a statue up of a single player - it takes away credit from other great players that have been true warriors for the Reds (Queensland). Too many to name here.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Maybe a statue of Quade throwing a 20m Koala flick pass to Lockyer (wearing a dragon suit) would make everyone happy?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Queensland are going to put a statue of a mascot outside Suncorp, surely it would be the Bundy Bear.

250bear,0.jpg

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Despite him still being on the upward trajectory, I think we should refrain from ever mentioning Cooper in the same breath as Eales or Horan.

Things will get a little crazy in here.

To the chargrin of many it always seems to me when older players are spoken about the adage applies:

'The older they get, the better they were"

Don't think the players themselves feel that way but supporters often do. It is impossible to compare players from different eras. The game today involves bigger men, heavier consistent contact, more matches, and so on

I know I'll get flogged on here for these IMO honest thoughts.....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To the chargrin of many it always seems to me when older players are spoken about the adage applies:

'The older they get, the better they were"

Don't think the players themselves feel that way but supporters often do. It is impossible to compare players from different eras. The game today involves bigger men, heavier consistent contact, more matches, and so on

I know I'll get flogged on here for these IMO honest thoughts...

I agree to an extent, but I think all you can compare players to others from their generation and then do the same with the current player that you're trying to reach an overall comparison with.

Any way you slice it, Quade Cooper is a long way off achieving anything close to what Eales and Horan did as rugby players. Obviously he still has several years left in his career to close that gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.