• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Benny lucas needs to reignite his career - has been a wonderful and valuable member of the squad but he just seems to keep getting injured )mainly minor). Think it was a shame (for Ben) when Genia resigned withe the Reds after reneging on the Force deal.

Bloke probably will head OS soon as Wallaby selection, I think, is now beyond him

Does anyone know what has happened to his brother Matt ????

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If we're talking long term options for 13 then i'd have to say, with the players in the squad, Kerevi is the answer (trying my best to remove my GPS bias here).

The bloke is in the same mold as Tevita Kuridrani, he loves the contact. His success at premier level was more about his ability to beat men in contact with his strength and fend rather than using speed to get outside them and I think that is exactly the type of ball runner Quade needs outside him. Kerevi's defence needs LOTS of work imo so I think that will hold him back a bit at first but if hes given a decent crack at 13 in 2014 I have a feeling he is going to be very effective.

Not to mention the wingers the Reds have on the books (with the exception of CFS) are out and out speedsters who will love the extra space they get by having a 110kg outside center attracting the defence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Im with you. I think Kerevi is fantastic. Haven't seen the defensive issues, in fact saw him pull off some rippers v UQ earlier this year.

T

tranquility

Remember Digby use to be a 13 in his earlier days before shifting to the wing. Maybe Sautia will be the same.

Sautia is a better rugby player than Digby though. Let me be clear, I am not saying he is a better player (at least at this stage) but his skills and understanding of the game are much better. I would really like to see given a chance to bed down the 13 jersey for the Reds, as I think he could be really destructive.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im with you. I think Kerevi is fantastic. Haven't seen the defensive issues, in fact saw him pull off some rippers v UQ earlier this year.

I don't think he has an issue tackling but his defensive reading needs help in my opinion. Gets caught out a few times out wide and that will be exposed in the professional game. Its something which can be fixed though with good coaching. Not enough of an issue to hold him back in the long term but at first I think it might.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So we have three proven performers in the centres, all capped for Australia, and you guys think Kerevi is a chance?

CFS I understand, but he still has heaps to learn, especially defensively. Plus he is our best winger with Rocket injured.

11- CFS
12- Tapuai
13- A.Fainga'a

22- Harris

Can't see Kerevi pushing into the 23 this season if everyone is fit. Obviously with injuries he'll get time at some point but he's a season off.

And when speaking long term, I assume that's 3yrs or so? I would hope Taps and AFaingaa were still around.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I do agree, I think Kerevi is a long shot for getting a decent crack in 2014, however, I believe given the chance he would be great. Its a situation where as you said, the reds have heaps of fellas who are very solid centres but I think Kerevi would add that X-factor to the backline which may be missing now that Digby (who IMO became very predictable by the end of his tenure with the Reds) has gone.

@USARugger - when I look at CFS and Kerevi I see two very different players, considering the blokes probably have similar measurements. I think CFS is great, however, I think his finesse style of play and finishing is better suited to the wing. Kerevi on the other hand is very much a physical player (not saying CFS isn't but I believe not to this extent) and his ability to consistently bend the advantage line is something the Reds will need.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
@TheBigDog

If you can find and watch the game CFS played against the Waratahs early on in Super Rugby this year, check it out. When you are describing Kerevi you are describing exactly how CFS played in this start at 13. Not saying one is better than the other because frankly I've seen what little of CFS at this level that we all have and almost nothing on Kerevi, just that I think they are far more similar than you seem to think they are.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Personally I think kerevi has better distribution than CFS which could see him as a 12 in a pinch.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
CFS has done SOME amazing things on the rugby paddock FROM TIME TO TIME. Until he consistently performs at champion level lets keep stuff in perspective.

Australia is full of young champs - longevity is the true indicator of greatness. Recent example to me is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - even though nearing the end of career (year or two in Australia) has performed admiraly for a long time..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If we're talking long term options for 13 then i'd have to say, with the players in the squad, Kerevi is the answer (trying my best to remove my GPS bias here).

Is this the fellow who was chosen for the Oz Under 20s earlier this year but in the end had to stay at home because of visa issues? I hear that he missed out because of injury but he was healthy when the Oz coach told me about the visa problems; so it could be a deflection.

If this is the same bloke, I saw him train with the Oz Under 20 team at Narrabeen and he was like a men against the boys at 100kgs + and playing to it.

He played for Fiji Under 20s in 2012 and was chosen by Fiji again, and also Australia, earlier this year.

He elected to play for Oz but could not because of visa issues, as mentioned, which was strange because he came here with his family when he four years old.

Anyway, I agree that he looks like a Kuridrani type of player and hope that he can get on the park in Super Rugby in 2014 so that I can have a look at him at that level.

What position does he play at Jeeps: 12 or 13?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
So we have three proven performers in the centres, all capped for Australia, and you guys think Kerevi is a chance?

CFS I understand, but he still has heaps to learn, especially defensively. Plus he is our best winger with Rocket injured.

11- CFS
12- Tapuai
13- A.Fainga'a

22- Harris

Can't see Kerevi pushing into the 23 this season if everyone is fit. Obviously with injuries he'll get time at some point but he's a season off.

And when speaking long term, I assume that's 3yrs or so? I would hope Taps and AFaingaa were still around.
I am happy with what Harris has done for QLD and the Wallabies, but I would be glad if we don't need him to play this season. but in a nice way!

I would prefer other options to keep him out of the team.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is this the fellow who was chosen for the Oz Under 20s earlier this year but in the end had to stay at home because of visa issues? I hear that he missed out because of injury but he was healthy when the Oz coach told me about the visa problems; so it could be a deflection.

If this is the same bloke, I saw him train with the Oz Under 20 team at Narrabeen and he was like a men against the boys at 100kgs + and playing to it.

He played for Fiji Under 20s in 2012 and was chosen by Fiji again, and also Australia, earlier this year.

He elected to play for Oz but could not because of visa issues, as mentioned, which was strange because he came here with his family when he four years old.

Anyway, I agree that he looks like a Kuridrani type of player and hope that he can get on the park in Super Rugby in 2014 so that I can have a look at him at that level.

What position does he play at Jeeps: 12 or 13?

He's an O/C. Really runs the ball up hard, often straight through the defender (glad I'm not one), but also has great acceleration and stepping.
Definitely one to look out for in the future. Put him in the 'future Wallabies' catagory.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
He's an O/C. Really runs the ball up hard, often straight through the defender (glad I'm not one), but also has great acceleration and stepping.
Definitely one to look out for in the future. Put him in the 'future Wallabies' catagory.
Future wallabies? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.