• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm the opposite. I think browning will top them all. Will be in the team by seasons end. Not sure who for just yet. Will depend on form. He is Loane-esque. Such a strong ball runner. Which I reckon will see him in the Aussie team sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I'm the opposite. I think browning will top them all. Will be in the team by seasons end. Not sure who for just yet. Will depend on form. He is Loane-esque. Such a strong ball runner. Which I reckon will see him in the Aussie team sooner than later.

Yeah I like Brownings style, top bloke as well..
I think his style will complement the back-row moreso then the current 3 do, will give the forward pack some much needed penetration that they've been lacking since Higgers left and Radike got too old.

I don't think anyone will have to lose out in particular, I expect Shatz, Quirk and Brownjng to be largely interchangeable in 2014, quirk plays a bit looser almost like a ball running open side and Shatz is more of your classic workhorse blind side.. I think they will all have their opportunity starting and on the bench..

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've been very critical of Shatz in the past but after 2013 I can definitely see his value to a team but I still think that he'll be the one missing out when Browning starts to flourish.

Quirk has un-coachable aggressiveness ingrained in him and it hindered him at times this season but I think he'll be learning to control that into other aspects of his game in 2014. Shatz, although skilled and a very very hard worker doesn't seem to have that mongrel attitude and considering he is lacking in the ball carrying department I think it makes him the most expendable out of himself, Quirk and Browning.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Agree - I wasn't saying Quirk would be better than Browning, just better than Schatz.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just as an exercise in comparable sizes of players, I've pulled out the following figures:
PLAYER HEIGHT WEIGHT
SHATZ 192 109
QUIRK 191 108
BROWNING 190 108
HIGGINSBOTHAM 195 110
READ 193 108

Read is undoubtedly the bench mark, so the three Reds players are close in size.
I'm sad though that the Reds lost Higgers. For me, he will be one of the best forwards in the 2015 World Cup, and will surely be the No 8 vis a vis Read

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was really good from a Queensland Reds perspective to see Chris Feauai-Sautia get a full game in the gold jersey and score a meat pie.
This extra experience for a very young player will do the Reds 2014 prospects heaps.
I see him as an on coming No 13 though rather than a winger, alternating with Ben Tapui

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It was really good from a Queensland Reds perspective to see Chris Feauai-Sautia get a full game in the gold jersey and score a meat pie.
This extra experience for a very young player will do the Reds 2014 prospects heaps.
I see him as an on coming No 13 though rather than a winger, alternating with Ben Tapui

I'd really hope that the Taps-at-13 experiment is completely dead by now.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
CFS would be my preferred 13 with Taps and Fainga'a duking it for 12. The 3 of them are definitely in our best backline so so to fit them in I'm expecting Fainga'a at 13 and CFS on the wing.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd like to see Taps rediscover his form at 12 and CFS get increasing time and eventually become our starting 13 as the season progresses. I love Ant but Taps/CFS is a much more well rounded combination with serious, serious attacking potential if both players are anywhere near good form.

I'm growing increasingly concerned none of this will matter as much if Genia doesn't get into a good headspace between now and the beginning of the season.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. CFS
12. Taps
13. Fainga'a
14. Shipperly/Turner
15. Turner/ JJ Taulagi/ Toua
Call me crazy but I would rather CFS fill the void left by Digby with Fainga'a giving staunch to the midfield. It's well known that the Reds defence is at a loss without ant barking orders. I also have a feeling that JJ Taulagi could be a roughie to come into the backline early at 15.
The one problem with the reds main squad is that the back are full of players oozing finesse but not a lot there to dish out grunt. Unless they are going to give players like Kerevi game time straight up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Reds will have an exciting backline for 2014 if Genia/Cooper/Tapuai/FingerA rediscover their mojo, and Shipperley and Rocket Rod recover from injury. With CFS, and LT there will be good speed, xfactor, defence, youth and experience.

Will RG be able to tame the beast to produce the desired outcome?

The Tahs v Reds could be a pearler of a game provided it is played early enough in the season, before the annual Wheels falling off the Warratah Wagon Ceremony occurs.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The sleeping dragon of the Reds back line is Toua. It would be brilliant to see him get an injury free run.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The sleeping dragon of the Reds back line is Toua. It would be brilliant to see him get an injury free run.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

It seems like we have been saying that since the Reds 2009 thread. You'd think he'd have to be on his last legs this season if he gets another injury.

I think its a really good reflection on Toua though that the Reds have retained him through all his injuries, it shows faith in not only his talent but clearly he is a hard worker and tries his best to rehabilitate. I just have a feeling though that with the signing of Taulagi to a full contract the Reds are starting to look past Toua.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
At least we should see a bit of rivalry between Taulagi/ Toua to nail down the No 15 jersey.
This creates depth which the Reds can do with over a long & relentless season.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. CFS
12. Taps
13. Fainga'a
14. Shipperly/Turner
15. Turner/ JJ Taulagi/ Toua
Call me crazy but I would rather CFS fill the void left by Digby with Fainga'a giving staunch to the midfield. It's well known that the Reds defence is at a loss without ant barking orders. I also have a feeling that JJ Taulagi could be a roughie to come into the backline early at 15.
The one problem with the reds main squad is that the back are full of players oozing finesse but not a lot there to dish out grunt. Unless they are going to give players like Kerevi game time straight up.

I'd like to see CFS in 13 because the midfield is an area where we have sorely lacked penetration since Tapuai fell out of form. If CFS can step into 13 and run some of the lines that he did against the Waratahs in the early game last year he would create heaps of space for our wingers with his ability to shake and bump defenders.

A healthy and on form Tapuai/CFS center pairing gives us our own version of To'omua/Kuridrani, which has seemed to work remarkably well outside of QC (Quade Cooper).

Reds defense was one of the best in Super Rugby last year both with and without Ant. I understand he is a defensive organizer and a dominant tackler but I do feel that there is a tendency here to overblow his impact at times.

I don't think trying to convert CFS to a Digby 2.0 is a wise way to use him. He has played most of his rugby in the midfield and was a star there for the schoolboys, we know he can perform there. Also, teams have progressed enormously across the board since 2009 or so at defending the Cooper-to-wing inside ball. It was very, very obvious last year that teams specifically looked to shut this option down and Digbys ability to penetrate the line this way was notably diminished. I'd like to see us move away from this power game a bit and use an attack more oriented at the outside channels which favors our mobile pack and Davies/Shipperly.

On the topic of those two I'm excited to see what they bring this coming season. One notably enormous brain fart aside Rocket looked better last year than I can ever remember. He knows how to utilize his speed as a weapon and has really started to back himself with the ball in hand and it has paid dividends. Shipperly looked off for long stretches of the season but seemed to fire up for the Lions and I was impressed with his cameo in that match.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@USARugger

Comparing a partnership of To'omua/Kuridrani to Tapuai/CFS is a long stretch if I ever saw one. All four players may have similar attributes but none of their best are shared.
CFS doesn't have to be Digby 2.0 but he can fill the role left by Digby. Which is having blindside winger who can use their strength to work in tight gaps, and who can also capitalise on support play.

CFS has played a lot of 13......at schoolboys. Which is a different kettle of fish all together, I have no doubt he has the potential to grow into the role however he needs to go a season without getting injured and nailing down a starting role.

The way the squad is balanced CFS will play wing, I doubt they would have signed Kerevi if CFS was the long term option at 13. I got no doubt CFS will play 13 at times just like Digby did ....but his future is at wing.

The reds are shaping a squad in the image that RG wants and unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if we start to see the departure of players like Davies, Shipperely, Toua, Lucas and Harris. All will not be happy to just ride the pine or take it easy playing prem grade, which is a distinct possibility with the signing's of Turner & Taulagi.

T

TOCC

I don't see why CFS needs to be pegged to wing either, i haven't seen enough of him to suggest that either wing or centre is his best position yet.

I actually agree with USA Rugger that the back line last year lacked penetrative power, and a lot of that came from the fact that our 10-13 were drifting sideways constantly and shovelling the ball to the outside backs who were easily defended against. I don't think a Quade-Tapuai-Fainga'a combo is the best the Reds can start with, i think Quade needs a big hard runner in the centres to straighten the attack up as Quade himself constantly drifts across field.

CFS showed glimpses of doing this in the Waratahs game he started at centre, he might grow further into that role in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.