• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If you follow the Reds on instagram, Ready has been sighted in a few picture and videos wearing official looking kit. What that means I don't know.

T

TOCC

From Facebook, Gunn and Ready have both been invited to train with the Reds in the off-season, so I'm guessing that's the equivalent of the Reds College, neither are in the EPS or contracted as yet.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-frc3/1460261_10151964769460236_527339062_n.jpg

T

tranquility

Ready is a big lad isnt he?

and Michael clearly needs a few more off-seasons.

T

tranquility

It's one of the better rugby videos there is.. clearly a favourite son over at easties

T

TOCC

Tapuai broke the Reds vertical leap record, only a small indicator but sounds like he must've been working hard on his fitness since the end of the season

9ezyrymy.jpg

Varessa Mataitini is another which can be seen training with the Reds in their videos on Instagram

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What does a short explosive jump have to do with fitness? o_O

Regardless, love the optimism and hope we see taps return to form next season.

T

TOCC

What does a short explosive jump have to do with fitness? o_O

Vertical leap is an excellent measurement for muscle strength and anaerobic performance, both of which are a reflection of a persons fitness... As a back it is even more important because their are direct correlations to acceleration and top speed.

Fitness isn't purely cardiovascular/aerobic fitness..

T

tranquility

Vertical jump is perhaps the best test their is for explosive leg power. Not so much "fitness", but I get what you mean.

It sounds as if, based on the USA v Maori game - the Reds should be looking at this guy.

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-players/item/cameron-dolan

How a player gets that good at his age, in a system such as the USA, really makes the mind boggle to the potential over there.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Vertical jump is perhaps the best test their is for explosive leg power. Not so much "fitness", but I get what you mean.

It sounds as if, based on the USA v Maori game - the Reds should be looking at this guy.

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-players/item/cameron-dolan

How a player gets that good at his age, in a system such as the USA, really makes the mind boggle to the potential over there.

I said it on the thread for that game, but shit he was impressive. Very athletic.

The US and Japan are starting to scare me, 10years time they are going to be very good.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
America are starting to utilise their college system which is something that will help change the face of rugby over there. The college Dolan went to is one of the ones tha take rugby very very seriously.......and ironically famous for its school of chiropractics*.

*if that's the word

T

tranquility

I said it on the thread for that game, but shit he was impressive. Very athletic.

The US and Japan are starting to scare me, 10years time they are going to be very good.

I was speaking with the old Churchie coach after McGahan who had coached extensively in Japan, about why they were not a top 5 challenger in world rugby. He said it has not to do with resources or intent, as the structures over there are actually very good and established for that matter. He said they were very focused on how a player "looked" in contact and drilled it into players that they should approach all contact as textbook rugby models in training.

He said the biggest issue was that they were not big enough to tackle players front on, and because of this they had to tackle players side on once they had breached the advantage line. As anyone would know, you can't win games of rugby by continually having the advantage lined breached because it means you are constantly retreating and realigning. Sad reality is that the traditional Japanese rugby players are not big enough to compete with the other major rugby nations.

America on the other hand, does not have these limitations.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know this is verging off the Reds 2014 topic but thought i'd jump in quickly here with the whole USA rugby thing.

A fella from my club is off to play in California in 2014, we also had a few go to Texas this year. Anyway, the bloke going to Cali thought he was originally sought out by a club side, turns out the head coach also coaches at the local college so now hes heading there with scholarship type privledges. Could see quite a bit more of this happening to our young up and comers if the US starts using their college system to give players a 'free ride' like they do with basketball and NFL.

Think of the 25odd blokes who get selected to play QLD schoolboys and out of that maybe 5 are lucky to get some type of EPS, im sure the rest of the talented lads would love a chance to go overseas so young to get an education and play rugby. These big money colleges could probably throw some good offers if they become so inclined to start scouting over here.

T

TOCC

Don't ahead of yourselves, the US college system places very little emphasis on rugby union, yes it is played but in terms of scholarships and resources it is the poor cousin, full scholarships don't exist and even traditional rugby colleges like Cali have had their budgets trimmed.

But their is a whole thread on the very subject, right now this has nothing to do with the reds

Status
Not open for further replies.