• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Actually agree on QC (Quade Cooper) when comparing to Eales and Horan as well as many others.

What confuses me is HOW we rate them Some considerations might be taken into account;
Number of Test matches;
Longivity (Number of years playing at top level;
Winning a/ Losing ratio
Types of games played (World Cups etc)
Tackles made
Runs made;
Domination over opposiing player;
Strength of Wallaby team;
Strength of Oppossition teams;

It just becomes endless and generally the selection of great players is the subjective recall of individuals (or groups) of how theiir favourvite player performed.

It seems odd to me how we can install somebody into the Hall of Fame who played that many years ago no-one is even alive to remember their undoubted great feats

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Scrubber, you're trying to make something inherently unscientific into a scientific process. The number one weighted variable in rating sports stars will almost always be personal opinion. Don't bang your head on that wall too hard.

Disclaimer: Obviously you can compare baseball players, track and field athletes, XCountry runners, etc in a much more direct fashion.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree to an extent, but I think all you can compare players to others from their generation and then do the same with the current player that you're trying to reach an overall comparison with.

Any way you slice it, Quade Cooper is a long way off achieving anything close to what Eales and Horan did as rugby players. Obviously he still has several years left in his career to close that gap.

definately from an Aussie perspective (two RWC wins will be hard to match!), but from a QLD perspective? They won a couple of Super 10 championships and a Super 6 one. How does that compare to our Super 14 one in 2011? Well it shows longevity of achievement which is what we need from Quade (and this Reds) team. If they can win another in the next year or two, then the likes of Will, Kev and QC (Quade Cooper) should be seen in the same light (from a QLD perspective) as Eales and Horan. Will and Kev also having captained their country, and QC (Quade Cooper) a real chance to in future years.

Those younger three should all hit 100 QLD caps this year, injury permitting.

So no, we shouldn't be putting on the same pedestal now as Noddy and Horan, but I bet we are when those three in particular retire.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'd vote for a statue of Ili Tabua smashing someone. I can still remember the sound the crowd made every time he touched the ball and the sound of him takling some unfortunate opposition player.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'd vote for a statue of Ili Tabua smashing someone. I can still remember the sound the crowd made every time he touched the ball and the sound of him talking some or unfortunate opposition player.

Sully
Don't know of him (excuse my ignorance)
Who did he play for?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Brothers I think. I remember playing colts out at brothers and he was marking the ground out for us.

Was a really nice gentle guy when we met him.

I'd vote for Noddy kicking the ball, slatts passing off the deck or old man mcbain throwing in a lineout. All quite individual actions that remind me of a golden period

T

TOCC

Is Kimani Situati training with the Reds in the Wider Training Squad or is that another player who looks remarkably similar?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I played against him when he made a comeback in 1999 so he could play in the World Cup for Fiji. One of the highlights in my average rugby career. Helped that we won 44-10 on that day.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'd vote for a statue of Ili Tabua smashing someone. I can still remember the sound the crowd made every time he touched the ball and the sound of him takling some unfortunate opposition player.

Good times

Scotty

David Codey (61)
definately from an Aussie perspective (two RWC wins will be hard to match!), but from a QLD perspective? They won a couple of Super 10 championships and a Super 6 one. How does that compare to our Super 14 one in 2011? Well it shows longevity of achievement which is what we need from Quade (and this Reds) team. If they can win another in the next year or two, then the likes of Will, Kev and QC (Quade Cooper) should be seen in the same light (from a QLD perspective) as Eales and Horan. Will and Kev also having captained their country, and QC (Quade Cooper) a real chance to in future years.

Those younger three should all hit 100 QLD caps this year, injury permitting.

So no, we shouldn't be putting on the same pedestal now as Noddy and Horan, but I bet we are when those three in particular retire.

I hope we are, but it will take a hell of a lot for me to put someone next to Horan.

Status
Not open for further replies.