• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think Nigel was named on the wing in the program but played in the back row. He is reportedly the fastest over 20m in the squad. I'm not sure wing would be the spot for him longterm though.

I dont think flanker is either really, at least not with the reds. As he is behind Gill, Schatz, Quirk, Butler and browning.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Surely we should be able to sign at least one big(ish) name for next year? Losing Higgers last year along with Digby, Moz, Lance and Samo (and others?? am I missing anyone?) should open up our salary cap. Obviously some of the younger blokes will get a few top ups but there should be a heap of room for a big signing. Who that is, I don't know, but we need to inject some x factor.

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely we should be able to sign at least one big(ish) name for next year?

There's no-one filling any overseas spots at the moment is there? Caleb Ralph would've been the last to use one of them when they were trying to get the English fella over to play on the wing too... Should have a crack at a George North-esque player.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Where have I gone wrong

Well firstly Harris will be in the team, as will Davies. Toua i think while toua is talented, the reds have tried and tested him and are now lookign elsewhere
and i dont think they are going to keep moving CFS back and forth between 13 and 11

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I dont think flanker is either really, at least not with the reds. As he is behind Gill, Schatz, Quirk, Butler and browning.

He was a centre in Colts 2 at Sunnybank not that long ago. 6 or 8 are the spots he will play. He is really good in the air at lineout time. I think OS might be the option for Nigel and a few test caps for Samoa.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
It's definitely not the fact he isn't good enough but he is just a little late to the party in terms of the reds. He would be a great pick up for S15 team just to bring on for the final 15 when everyone is tired just to wreak a little havoc in the wider channels but I feel that's as far as he will get on these shores. Maybe his native NZ will take him but as you have said he should go overseas and try his luck. Maybe comeback later in life like Fotu Aulua did or take a few samoa caps and live the life.

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's definitely not the fact he isn't good enough but he is just a little late to the party in terms of the reds. He would be a great pick up for S15 team just to bring on for the final 15 when everyone is tired just to wreak a little havoc in the wider channels but I feel that's as far as he will get on these shores. Maybe his native NZ will take him but as you have said he should go overseas and try his luck. Maybe comeback later in life like Fotu Aulua did or take a few samoa caps and live the life.

He had a run for the Rebels last year/2 years ago on their EOYT to Europe as an added squad member... someone will take him.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Harris better not come back into the side. We are having enough issues with execution on attack and do not need to replace a slow 15 with another slow 15.

Digby alone leaving opens up a huge amount of contract space. JOC (James O'Connor) would be a good replacement now that he's added some bull. His stepping and movement through traffic has been phenomenal this year. He also has a trillion times the ball playing ability of Diggers.

Either that or at 15 would be nice. How can you not love an attackin axis of Genia/Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor)?

What's the status on Tomane and Speight and their Brumbies contracts? Could we break up the Polynesian brotherhood over there and lure one of them over?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He was a centre in Colts 2 at Sunnybank not that long ago. 6 or 8 are the spots he will play. He is really good in the air at lineout time. I think OS might be the option for Nigel and a few test caps for Samoa.

We don't need an open side though. An athletic, fast(er) 6/8 with line out ability? One of those we could definitely use.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The issue is he can go missing in some games. I've watch the last 2 Sunnybank games and he's gone ok. Pulled off a big hit on the weekend against Souths when they were attacking the try line. More of that would be good.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
we really need more scrum security than Daley has been providing in the closing portions of the game. I expect Anae to make the step up to a more regular role next year but who is behind him?
Anae looks like he can step up as a prop, which is good as he was nominally there as a converted hooker for a couple of years.

Maybe Daley can be converted as a hooker in return? He'd certainly offer a lot around the park and in the scrum as a hooker.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Harris better not come back into the side. We are having enough issues with execution on attack and do not need to replace a slow 15 with another slow 15.

Digby alone leaving opens up a huge amount of contract space. JOC (James O'Connor) would be a good replacement now that he's added some bull. His stepping and movement through traffic has been phenomenal this year. He also has a trillion times the ball playing ability of Diggers.

Either that or at 15 would be nice. How can you not love an attackin axis of Genia/Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor)?

What's the status on Tomane and Speight and their Brumbies contracts? Could we break up the Polynesian brotherhood over there and lure one of them over?

I dont understand why our execution in attack is the fault of a slow 15?

and i hate to burst your bubble but unless your willing to accept Toua as the fullback, you are only going to have slow options available.

The options outside of toua in the current squad are Benny Lucas, Mike Harris, UJ Seuteni and Frisby.

UJ and Frisby are not ready to play fullback at S15 level in my eyes and Mike Harris is a better accomplished option at 15. I think you are unnecessarily worried about his speed, he is no mogg but over 20m he is no slouch. Refer to the included video at about 2.27 to see what i am saying.

With wingers like Shipperley, Davies and possibly CFS a Harris/Lance type of player is what you want at 15.

Unless you want to risk it for the biscuit and throw Davies to fullback which is what the reds have done previously.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well firstly Harris will be in the team, as will Davies. Toua i think while toua is talented, the reds have tried and tested him and are now lookign elsewhere
and i dont think they are going to keep moving CFS back and forth between 13 and 11

I had completely forgotten about Harris and I'd definitely put him unless Quade's goal kicking is >80% because that's all Harris is good for.

Davies... nah.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Davies scores tries.

That is the meat and potatoes of a winger.

All the other shit you guys sprout is the gravy. If a winger has to be relied upon in defence, then there are larger problems infield that need to be sorted.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
precisely gel Davies was a key weapon for the 2011 reds but everyone just wrote him off because of that Samoa game. But i tell you a lot of wingers would struggle to contains Alessandra Tuilagi.

Davies is still young to only 24/25, so i am more than happy to have him in the team as their is still so much growth left in him. Same with shipps

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
thierry dusautoir

One clip from a hugely lopsided game doesn't magically remove the times Harris got burnt for pace last year or give us a viable attacking option at 15 who can join the line at pace. He also has a weak pass off his left side. Not okay if he's supposed to be the secondary playmaker at 15.

B. Lucas is much faster. He played Aussie 7s, remember?

And you do realize we can recruit from outside of the Reds, right? That was sort of where this conversation began.

Davies has been playing really well this year aside from a few brain explosions. Shipperley has surely fallen a couple notches on the depth chart. I think Davies has 14 sewed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.