• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
He was in the reds academy in 2011-2012 but he got an injury and got cut for 2013. Since then he has been playing for the Brothers club in Brisbane, scored a heap of tries.

He probably would have been picked up by one of the super rugby teams for 2014 if he stayed around.
He really hasn't played much in 2 seasons, got injured last year and is injured right now.

I really doubt he would have been picked up by a Super Rugby team though, he had to fight to get a starting spot at Brothers, there are plenty of wingers ahead of him in Brisbane I believe.

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
After being picked on the bench this weekend, is Sam Denny in line for a Reds contract (EPS/Red College) next year?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jonah Placid should be signed immediately, he is the real deal.

Maile appears to be a very good hooker as well.

Surprised to hear his name thrown around here, thought he went to the dark side (league) following Oz Schools?

Brilliant player.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Always had big wraps on Ngaumo.

I'm ashamed, as a tigers fanatic, that I have never seen Placid play. But from what I have heard, he is a freak, Pat Richards has a very high opinion of him.

EPS at least for him.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just a few thoughts/Q's on the REDS 2014.

*Does JOC (James O'Connor) signing a club rugby contract with the Pirates in Sydney affect his chance of signing with the REDS? I do know that the Brumbies don't allow their players to play in other local competitions.

*If/When Link gets the Wallaby gig? Do any of you believe in Richard Graham? I certainly don't.. I'd be keen on getting the most successful Super Rugby coach ever (Robbie Deans) however I think all bridges have been burned with the REDS cornerstone in Quade (unless he has some crazy opt out clause in his contract)

T

TOCC

No doubt JOC (James O'Connor) has a get-out clause in his West Harbour contract in the event he signs with a super rugby club which wants their players to play locally...

As for Robbie Deans, it would never happen, he would likely return to his homeland or take up a high paying contract overseas, he wouldn't take a step down to an Australian super rugby club.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I am getting a little worried about Reds 2014... so far we have only lost players. Every other club has atleast signed one new member for 2014 and we are yet too... i agree that we cannot rely only on home grown talent especially with the loss of diggers.

time to start signing players reds

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Agreed, it would be nice to get one big name on board. Don't need to pack the temm full of them but surely we have room under the salary cap?

T

tranquility

I realise at the time we were chock full of outside backs. But gee, losing Kuridrani in hindsight is a kick to the gonads. Especially considering the dearth of 13s in QLD currently. He is a real handful.

something

Jim Clark (26)
What's the word on Sam Greene? One for the future by all accounts so far.

from what ive read in the prem grade thread, it seems as if he is a little too green still hehe.

Maybe a year in a development program or another year or two in prem before he starts getting a look into super15. We do need a play making 15 with a good boot though. He is only first year out of school so he is a good prospect for the future, just not 2014.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Again the best fly halves from Premier Rugby have been the experienced Dallan Murphy and Matty Brandon.

Apart from them there really has not been many stand-outs. Dion Taumata wasn't doing too much from what I've heard, I think he is currently injured though. Which is a shame because I penned him for a EPS spot last season.

something

Jim Clark (26)
agreed, Greene would have been better off playing a year of colts before going into grades but as it stands he is in grades and doing an okay job.

there is plenty of chat about it qld prem thread & also a few pages back in this one

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
agreed, Greene would have been better off playing a year of colts before going into grades but as it stands he is in grades and doing an okay job.

there is plenty of chat about it qld prem thread & also a few pages back in this one

A lot of this talk about Sam Greene playing Colts is selfish talk about people wanting what's best for Wests Colts program to succeed. (It's been a rough couple of years in the Colts)

Greene narrowly missed out on making the AUS U20 team so he is definitely on the Academy/Super Franchises radars.

There's a lot of young Colts eligible talent playing in Premier land & I think playing with older more skilled players in premier grade as opposed to Colts has helped him become a better rugby player.

Status
Not open for further replies.