• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I'm really happy that Link has taken over the Wallabies I'm a little disappointed from a Reds point of view. He and Carmichael have formed quite a partnership that has turned the Reds around. While I have some issues with QRU and community rugby I don't think they could do a better job with the Reds.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Izzy & JOC (James O'Connor) are both pipe dreams.

When's the last time the Reds threw money at a high profile player??? NEVER!!!

They build from within (& rightly so, we are the mecca of football talent in all of Australia)

But just for once I'd love to see a interstate superstar team up with the REDS! (it's funny for me to say that considering both lads are from QLD. But soo much talent gets away & ply their skills in a different province)
Folau is from NSW too btw. ;-) Played origin for QLD but from NSW.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Izzy & JOC (James O'Connor) are both pipe dreams.

When's the last time the Reds threw money at a high profile player??? NEVER!!!

They build from within (& rightly so, we are the mecca of football talent in all of Australia)

But just for once I'd love to see a interstate superstar team up with the REDS! (it's funny for me to say that considering both lads are from QLD. But soo much talent gets away & ply their skills in a different province)

Didn't Chris Latham play for the Reds at some stage?

Wish already granted.

T

TOCC

The Reds have had a few shots at signing some big name players in the pre-Ewen era but due to the state of the team no one entertained the thought..

Giteau was approached, Reds tried poaching Lote back from the Tahs, Mitchell was approached when he left the Force, Reds were very close to signing Rocky Elsom back from Europe before he joined the Brumbies. I'm sure there are a few more.

The Reds have tried, albeit unsuccessfully to sign some big name players. Ewen steered clear of this trend in recent years though.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think we could do with a big signing though. We have Kev, Genia & QC (Quade Cooper) locked up for now so one really good signing with the spare Ioane cash could really push us forwards. The squad seems to have stagnated in the last year or two. We lost Higgers last year and now Ioane's going. It's not like we're bleeding key players but there is an ever so slight trickle. The young guys we're bringing through are great but we also need some experience and big game players to balance out the young squad. Need to keep moving forward.

No idea if any of these are smart or even make sense but might be worth thinking about:
- A big angry and dynamic 6/8 to lighten the workload of our backrow (who were flogged this season).
- A world class finisher to replace Digby.
- Maybe import some maniac prop who lives for scrummaging.
- A big motor lock to compliment Horwill, someone who loves hitting rucks all day. (Simmons is a bit meh at times and Wally is getting on)
- A fullback? Fast and with a big boot.

I'm not saying we need or even want all of the above just maybe one of them. Like I said, it's great that we are bringing young guys through but a world class signing could be the shot in the arm the boys need to push onwards and upwards. I just feel like we're still resting on 2011 a bit - and 2011 was now a long time ago.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
No idea if any of these are smart or even make sense but might be worth thinking about:
- A big angry and dynamic 6/8 to lighten the workload of our backrow (who were flogged this season).
- A world class finisher to replace Digby.
- Maybe import some maniac prop who lives for scrummaging.
- A big motor lock to compliment Horwill, someone who loves hitting rucks all day. (Simmons is a bit meh at times and Wally is getting on)
- A fullback? Fast and with a big boot.

They are probably the areas that need to be bolstered the most. An outside back and decent established front rower & lock are probably the most important for know. Anae is coming along well, Holmes has likley only got a couple of seasons left in him and Daley has not improved his scrummaging in 2 years. With AWH and Samo not likely to be around another lock will be pretty important.

The Reds backrow will be a lot better and will tear sides up next year.

Wishlist:
1. Talk Kimlin into staying in the country.
2. Folau, Cummins
3. Paddy Ryan is stuck at Tahs and may be up for a regular start, would allow Slipper to play LHP which is his preference.
4. MMM, Fardy, Pyle, Neville
5. Mogg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
There's a few holes in the backline depth now with Ioane, Morahan and Lance all gone.

Morahan is the biggest shame from a Reds point of view, as if the Reds and Morahan had known that both Lance and Ioane were gone then Morahan may have stayed.

No doubt the first choice initial starting wingers will now be Shipperley and Davies, with Lucas or Harris at fullback, the other on the bench with one out of CFS, Taps, or A. Finger. OK, but not looking nearly as good as the last few years.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thought he went to school at Marsden?
He possibly did. I just remember all the bleating when he was selected for QLD as he was born in NSW and didn't move here till his teens I think? May have been early teens if he went to high school up here.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Those mongrel bastards oop north grabbed him from his mother's arms as she left the maternity hospital IN SYDNEY. AS THEY'VE DONE SO MANY TIMES IN THE PAST. Queenslanders, have you no shame?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Da

Davis isn't that good anyway. He 27 and never had a pro cap, London welsh can have him

That's how I felt about him too.

University is filled with these borderline front rowers who are absolute speds (Davis, Shepperdon, Owen, Weeks, Hunt etc) it's about time the QRU snaps up a local boy like Denny or Faagase because both those 2 IMO have bigger ceilings then the Uni lads will ever have/had.

Ps: should of said Uni props as opposed to front rowers!!! The Heavies do know how to churn out world class hookers (squeaky & chibba)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
There are plenty of good front rowers running around in the Premier Comp, I'm happy that the EPS spot wasn't going to be wasted on Davis again.

Denny, Kite, Sanday, Faagese amongst others are far ahead of Davis.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's how I felt about him too.

University is filled with these borderline front rowers who are absolute speds (Davis, Shepperdon, Owen, Weeks, Hunt etc) it's about time the QRU snaps up a local boy like Denny or Faagase because both those 2 IMO have bigger ceilings then the Uni lads will ever have/had.

Ps: should of said Uni props as opposed to front rowers!!! The Heavies do know how to churn out world class hookers (squeaky & chibba)

These two were ok. Shepperdson played 17 time for the Wallabies be it he was at the end of his career when he came here. Weeks did a job for the Reds.

It was good to see Denny get on against the Lions. Reward for hard work as he looks like he'd be the fittest prop running around.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Weeks was a champion for QLD - bloody shame he pissed of to the Rebels - reckon he will probably regret that move by now or certainly later in life. Think he could have been a longish member of Wallabies if he had stayed. Life is full of decisions and it is only time and retrospectivity that determines whether the correct one was made!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.