• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He seemed to be very keen on playing for Sydney Uni and the Reds said he wasn't allowed.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There's a few holes in the backline depth now with Ioane, Morahan and Lance all gone.

Morahan is the biggest shame from a Reds point of view, as if the Reds and Morahan had known that both Lance and Ioane were gone then Morahan may have stayed.

No doubt the first choice initial starting wingers will now be Shipperley and Davies, with Lucas or Harris at fullback, the other on the bench with one out of CFS, Taps, or A. Finger. OK, but not looking nearly as good as the last few years.

When I have repeatedly said that the Reds coaching group have neither (a) improved the Reds' attack adequately since 2011 and (b) rebuilt the backs adequately as part of (a) and to remain more than competitive with the top S15 teams that have significantly improved since 2011, the above is an example of what I mean.

IMO, from mid-2012 the Reds management became very distracted with all the machinations associated with Link's evolving situation, the loss of some important assistant coaches, Graham's arrival and a somewhat hubristic hangover from 2011, etc and the price of this has been/is an insufficiently radical approach to taking the team upwards to the next plateau of performance.

T

TOCC

Disagree.... Post 2011 teams studied the Reds attack and figured out ways to shut it down..

In 2012 Shipperly and Tapuai both had breakout years even without QC (Quade Cooper) at fly half.

In 2013 we've seen CFS come into starting contention and Rod Davies return to 2011 form.

Don't underestimate the amount of analysis teams would have done on the Reds attack following their 2011 season.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Disagree.. Post 2011 teams studied the Reds attack and figured out ways to shut it down..

In 2012 Shipperly and Tapuai both had breakout years even without QC (Quade Cooper) at fly half.

In 2013 we've seen CFS come into starting contention and Rod Davies return to 2011 form.

Don't underestimate the amount of analysis teams would have done on the Reds attack following their 2011 season.

Chiefs have been under the same kind of scrutiny after winning last year and still sit on top of the tries scored table..even after losing SBW.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
They are probably the areas that need to be bolstered the most. An outside back and decent established front rower & lock are probably the most important for know. Anae is coming along well, Holmes has likley only got a couple of seasons left in him and Daley has not improved his scrummaging in 2 years. With AWH and Samo not likely to be around another lock will be pretty important.

The Reds backrow will be a lot better and will tear sides up next year.

Wishlist:
1. Talk Kimlin into staying in the country.
2. Folau, Cummins
3. Paddy Ryan is stuck at Tahs and may be up for a regular start, would allow Slipper to play LHP which is his preference.
4. MMM, Fardy, Pyle, Neville
5. Mogg

Mogg would be my number one want for the Reds, he is an exceptional player and I think his kicking game would really help.

Cummins would fit in quite well too.

I would love Falou, but don't think this is even remotely a possibility.

Personally I think our Forwards are capable of winning another title, my biggest concern is our centres and full back. If Tapuai can ever get into his previous form then he will be great, and I love A Finger but he is just an better than average player, not a great and our fullback situation leaves us exposed.

T

TOCC

I'd thought Simmons had already been announced, good news to cement them for another 2 though

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
shame it is not longer!

All of these lads are coming into their prime years - slipper and Simmons are both just turned 24 and Gilly 20 or 21. Think props don't "mature" until , maybe 28. Maybe their management only wanted a 2 year contract because all of them will be top line players at the end of 2 years and probably command more $$$$ at that time.

would like to see Shatz and Quirk offered extensions as well. Horwill already signed long term. Nucleous of a very good forward pack for years to come.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I really hope they have some sort of cunning recruitment plan in place.

The G&GR news said Halfpenny is looking to sign a new contract. While he might cost a pretty penny, he'd be a great pickup for our marquee spot and would fill a big hole at 15!

While I doubt it's even a possibility, we could always look offshore to fill a backspot until a younger talent matures.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The G&GR news said Halfpenny is looking to sign a new contract. While he might cost a pretty penny, he'd be a great pickup for our marquee spot and would fill a big hole at 15!

While I doubt it's even a possibility, we could always look offshore to fill a backspot until a younger talent matures.

I read that also and started to dream! I'd also love it if our marquee spot was used to nab someone like Brian O'Driscoll! He would be a great player to have in the squad.

The best part is that a lot of NH players (particularly ones in the Lions squad) would've seen the way the Reds played against the Lions and thought, fuck that would be fun to play with a team like that for a bit. Particularly guys like BOD who would be looking to just enjoy his last couple of years. He has mentioned before that he would like to play SH Rugby before he retires.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
^I thought Owen Farrell was a player particularly keen on the running rugby of the SH. Every time they did a training run on the pitch he was putting in some freakishly good, weird angled cross kicks and throwing some great long passes. I know he wont come south, atleast for a very long time, but it was nice to see an NH flyhalf having a punt, especially in the rebels game!

something

Jim Clark (26)

hahaha wishful thinking, after that lions tour performance he will be looking for atleast 800k (aud) per year.... but fuck itd be good to half him

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whatever happened to Sam Lane - kid played for Reds, got injkured, recovered and I think went to Tahs ????
Shit I thought he was a real talent and looked the goods

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whatever happened to Sam Lane - kid played for Reds, got injkured, recovered and I think went to Tahs ????
Shit I thought he was a real talent and looked the goods

He lost confidence and asked for the Tahs to release him prior to the season starting.

Lane then tore his ACL for the third time in three years in April playing for Manly and has had another knee reconstruction.

He's in a pretty difficult position now in terms of his rugby career.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree Scrubber2050 but...I really hope they have some sort of cunning recruitment plan in place.

Too right Scoey.

With team improvements and renovations taking place in many strong S15 teams and, notably, in some that haven't been great but are going to be much better in 2014, the Reds need to act similarly in crucial backs positions where we are resting on ever-more-distant laurels.

I was alarmed when IIRC Graham said we only had one available team slot to fill for 2014. If so, we seem to be implying that the likes of Harris, Lucas, A Fainga'a, Toua and currently out of form CFS, Shipps and Taps will be more than adequate to compete against the 2014 Tahs, Brumbies, Chiefs, etc.

If this is the backs scenario we are happy to proceed into 2014 with, I already have real concerns that we won't hit the top 6 come July of that year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I sadly hold the same view as you RedsHappy. It really, and I mean REALLY, worries me that we haven't really got any key new signings. We've re-signed some key players but have lost a few also. We need to grow and improve.

We've shown as a team and an organisation that we can grow, we can adapt, we can be successful. We have overcome almost all of the hurdles that once stood in our way bar one I feel. We still don't seem to be able to attract and sign key players to our franchise. Either we aren't even trying or they don't want to come. Neither of these scenarios sit well with me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.