• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think many a deep breath should be taken and an attempt to separate ourselves from the gut-wrenching emotion of such a shit season should be made before we start tossing around suggestions of cutting existing contracts to good players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Thank fuck because you had us worried you the stress of the poor season had caused you to blow a gasket.

If you look at it somewhat objectively.
CFS is 20.20 years old. Has not had a 21st birthday. He is literally a month or two older than some of the boys we will send to the U20's JWC this year. If it seems like he has been around a long time it's because he got a low-value rookie contract as a 17 year old that was essentially a "hands off Rebels you fucking vultures" type situation. He had chronic hamstring issues as an explosively powerful kid in his late teens who's musculoskeletal system was essentially not mature enough to handle the output he was capable of. This seems to largely have resolved over 6-12 months of consistent and quality management.

Aidan did a year and a half or so in what was then the Reds Academy as a kid and then has had 2 x 2 year contracts or something along those lines. He obviously had some issues with his knees which caused him to have to have back to back ACL recons (not that uncommon, he's not even the only one at the Reds like that) and then some chronic hamstring stuff secondary to that.

This year both have been unlucky to sustain an acute and serious shoulder injury (of different types, but both first time) that is a function of the fact they play a contact sport. Unlucky? Yes. Inconvenient for the Reds given how the season has turned out? Absolutely. Could much else have been done to prevent either one? No not really.

Is there an argument that Aidan's body has not yet returned very well on investment. Yeah I'd probably agree that there is. Can the same argument be applied to CFS? Given the fiscal nature of his first contract, his age and his value delivered in performances to date I'd say fuck no.

Some food for thought, the brumbies when they won the Title in 2004 used a grand total of 28 or so players the whole season. They suffered very little injury overall and more than that almost no injury to their key players at the time (Gregan, Larkham, Smith, Finegan and Mortlock). They kept the same team on the park week after week and won the final.

The reds in 2011 suffered injury to outside backs predominantly but Horwill, Genia, Cooper and Ioane were players who played a lot and we won't he comp. In the next two years we suffer seriously due to both an increased amount of total injury experienced and the focal nature of those injuries i.e there were many of the players injured in one position e.g 10 in 2012.

This year the Reds have again suffered with injury which has contributed (though by no means solely) to a rubbish season.

My point is, a successful year, even with all the talent and preparation in place, is definitely significantly contingent on the injury gods smiling on you. There are injuries you can prevent and those that you can't really and you need to consider that fact when judging a players worth. Are they honestly prone to injury and there is a risk in signing them or have they just been terribly unlucky. A quick glance at a players playing history doesn't tell you that if you aren't a qualified medical or high level S and C professional.

great post !

I suppose I am a prick and judge players by the amount of games a player plays and how well the player plays during those playable games
There is a spot for loyalty, sentimentality and all those wonderful things BUT in this professional era supporters want to see their team win or at least go down fighting

T

tranquility

Also for those who are unaware, players who have knee issues such as Aidan and now Pocock are more likely to hamstring issues because they must take hamstring tendon to repair the knee ligament (ACL). This is why players become slower after surgery, but it is only a very marginal thing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Also for those who are unaware, players who have knee issues such as Aidan and now Pocock are more likely to hamstring issues because they must take hamstring tendon to repair the knee ligament (ACL). This is why players become slower after surgery, but it is only a very marginal thing.

Fuck - Aiden must have been bloody lightning before 2 knee ops

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just want a friggen season where the guys stay on the friggen park for greater than 40% of it for once.

Some time to actually shine and show everyone what they can deliver, instead of meaningless "He is just that good" sort of talk.

I had already blown a gasket weeks ago at the Brumbies game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
@RugbyReg what's the word on the Reds S&C coach? They've had some unfortunate turnover in recent years; have they lined up anyone for next year?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The problem is that some of these young guys suffer a whole lot of injuries early in their career and then they finish growing, get stronger and suddenly find themselves comparatively injury free. If you let that guy go, you might find that you've put up with all the injuries and his new club gets all the benefit of a mature, fit player.

Ben Mowen for example....

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
@Ash , After listening to This weeks podcast with guest speaker Rob Simmons, I would think that RG will be there next.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
It really isn't a troll. I realise I am probably a lot harsher than a lot of you, but it is bugging the crap out of me that this is his third year and its been the same story all the while.

@Biggsy is also of the same opinion, so while I might be in the minority, I am not on my Pat Malone.

You all know how long I would suffer repeated injuries - i.e. 3 years or so (and it is not just two hamstring tears by the way - there is lot of hamstring strains along the way that have kept him out of games).

So most of you would say that is not enough time - fair enough.

Is 4 years enough time? 5 years? Maybe we should just wait until he is 35, because, you know, potential can sometimes take that long to shine through.

And @braveheart81 - loyalty:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

There is NO such thing at all in professional sports. As soon as he gets a better offer - he will go elsewhere irrespective of what the reds have done for him.

Anyone that thinks differently are deluded.

So by your standards Ben Tune would have been gone long before he hit legendary status. Unbelievable!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any tips on getting tickets for Suncorp, I find it hard to believe there is no seats available on the lower level. But that's what Ticketek website says on there seating selections.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any tips on getting tickets for Suncorp, I find it hard to believe there is no seats available on the lower level. But that's what Ticketek website says on there seating selections.

nah, bottom level is members only. They'd be all gone for sure.

But all seats there are great. Just take what you can get.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

x2 what @RugbyReg said. There's not a bad seat in the joint. :D

If you haven't been to Suncorp before there is a bloody good tool for checking out the view from your section. I wish the Reds would do something similar but if you go to the Bronco's website and go to membership and then click on 'stadium seating views' you can check out the view from the centre of whatever section you're thinking of buying in.

EDIT: Go to the Reds Membership site: http://www.redsmembership.com.au/Seating_Map and click on the section to see the view.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The reds have done that too. Can't remember where. Perhaps their membership web site?

You're right! When a mate showed my the Broncos page I figured it would be a Suncorp thing not so much a broncos thing so it struck me as odd that the Reds didn't have it. Just looked then a bit harder and the seating map on the membership site is clickable - they just don't draw as much attention to it. Cheers!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Yes, the tip is to buy silver ticket anywhere and once you get there stroll into section 324 or 319 on the edge of the stadium members' area where there's plenty of seats and pretend you're meant to be there. Move if the real owners show up but you'll probably be fine.

Just sit in the back half of the section so you don't end up in the platinum seats.

http://www.suncorpstadium.com.au/~/media/Suncorp Stadium/Seating Plans/Reds 2014.ashx

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Taking the opportunity to say that Suncorp is a remarkably amazing place to watch rugby.

Got to see v. Rebs in Rd 13 last year from a few rows back around the 50m line and then v. Lions ~20 rows back from the try line on the same side as the Caxton Carpark (at least I think, some of you guys drink like fucking frat brothers and I'd been doing my best to keep up for around 8 hours at that point).

I'm pretty sure I could have beaten Ben Youngs to that loose ball in our try zone if I wasn't nursing my Bundy and Coke.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bit worried how Graham phrases things - seems to blame everything on the players.

just in case you missed it:

In his first season since taking over from Ewen McKenzie, Graham has watched his side steadily get worse as the season progresses, typified by last round's 44-14 thumping at Auckland.
"Coming into the role I knew what was ahead of me," Graham said.
"Obviously you don't plan for the losses.
"You can't listen to people outside or the media and their opinions.
"You have to focus on the group and make change.
"Ultimately we are in it together. The solution is within the team and I think the group understands that."
However, Graham - last year's defence coach - did take aim at himself after the Reds conceded 15 tries in their last four games.
Last year they let in 23 in 16 matches.
"That is probably something I am critical about myself," he said.
"The last two weeks we have focused heavily on our attack.
"But certainly this week we have a big focus on rectifying that and make sure we defend well."

Status
Not open for further replies.